Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
LUTs
Diri [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 28, 2020 20:04 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I am attempting to create a music video using some band photos along with a heap of downloaded shutterstock video clips. The problem I'm finding is that all the clips are mismatched in colour, tone, light etc. Is there an easy way to colourise all the clips in my production so that they better match and blend together? Is there a way of applying a LUT to all the clips at once or do I have to appy individual LUTs to each clip separately?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Koen41 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 15, 2016 09:05 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am attempting to create a music video using some band photos along with a heap of downloaded shutterstock video clips. The problem I'm finding is that all the clips are mismatched in colour, tone, light etc. Is there an easy way to colourise all the clips in my production so that they better match and blend together? Is there a way of applying a LUT to all the clips at once or do I have to appy individual LUTs to each clip separately?

As long as your clips have the same deviatiations in colour, light, tone you can apply a LUT to all of these clips. Select all clips with the same deviations and apply the desired LUT. When the individual clips deviate (e.g. too much red and normal red) then you have to apply a LUT to each individual clip.
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]

As long as your clips have the same deviatiations in colour, light, tone you can apply a LUT to all of these clips. Select all clips with the same deviations and apply the desired LUT. When the individual clips deviate (e.g. too much red and normal red) then you have to apply a LUT to each individual clip.

Thank you for your reply Koen41. So am I right in thinking that if I select a number of clips together and then choose a LUT and drag it onto any one of those clips, all the other selected clips will also have the LUT applied to them at the same time? Thanks for your help.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I did not find a way to copy the LUT from one clip to one or more others in the timeline. The copy / paste Keyframes does not work here either. If it is the LUTs you want to apply, you the have to drag the LUT to each and every clip in the timeline where applicable.
Looking at your question the problem with a mismatch of colors etc. I think is also worth while to have a look at the color match option. After having selected (or set) a clip with the desired color etc. you can make all other clips matching that clip and there is even an apply to all available....
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I did not find a way to copy the LUT from one clip to one or more others in the timeline. The copy / paste Keyframes does not work here either. If it is the LUTs you want to apply, you the have to drag the LUT to each and every clip in the timeline where applicable.
Looking at your question the problem with a mismatch of colors etc. I think is also worth while to have a look at the color match option. After having selected (or set) a clip with the desired color etc. you can make all other clips matching that clip and there is even an apply to all available....

Thanks Warry. This answers my question. I haven't used the colour match option as yet but was wondering if that was a betetr way to go about it. I'll check it out.
Another thing that's been nagging me is how to remove an applied LUT later on if I wish to? There doesn't seem to be any identifier on the clip showing the LUT, unlike transitions. Currently I simply hit the undo button (or CTRL Z) to undo the last step. This is a pain though if I have done other edits since applying the LUT.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I do get the white i indication that an effect has been applied on my clips on the timeline after adding a LUT in PD365. I can then click the effects button and remove that LUT using the - button.
Diri [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I do get the white i indication that an effect has been applied on my clips on the timeline after adding a LUT in PD365. I can then click the effects button and remove that LUT using the - button.

Thanks Tomasc. I have the white letter i's also. Didn't think to click on it to remove the LUT. I'll get there one day. Thanks again for your help.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a way of applying a LUT to all the clips at once or do I have to appy individual LUTs to each clip separately?

Hello,

Back to this point, yes there is a way to apply the same LUT to all clips on a track in the timeline.

You just need to select the track in the timeline that has all the clips you want to apply the LUT, then right click on the LUT in the library and select Apply to All Clips.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 24. 2022 21:30

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks! Indeed it appears to be possible to apply a LUT to all clips in the timeline.

Actually how it works in my version (the latest 365) is:
as soon as I right-click the LUT, the selection of clips in the timeline is forgotten and the apply to all clips is done to ALL clips in the last selected track in the timeline.
To be clear: when I have say 7 clips in timeline 1 and 3 in timeline 2, and I select clip2 in track 1 and clip3 in track 2 (in that order), then as soon as I right-click on the LUT, the selection is forgotten and the apply all will show that all LUTs in track 2 (the last track selected) will get the LUT, track 1 and the formally selected clips in track 1 are forgotten.

If the behavior if the right-click on the LUT is changed so that the selecteion of clips is not forgotten, then the apply to all clips (selected) would be ideal...
If not, then the text in the right-click menu should be changed into: Apply to all clips in the selected track.....

(I have forwarded this suggestion to CL.)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The LUT apply to all clips is not documented in the F1 key help files of PD365. No such thing in the earlier versions of PD. Good to know that there is this feature now.