Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video Capture nothing displays while tape is running
DavidBRose [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2020 10:43 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using Powerdirector 19 - actual version 19.0.3226.2 on a PC running windows 11 and I have a USB capture adaptor Diamond VC-500. I have a VHS video recorder with a Scart cable and the plugs are yellow, white and red. The Diamond adaptor also has yellow and red, but with black instead of white, but I matched the colours red-to-red yellow-to-yellow and black-with-white.

The Diamond adaptor plugged into a USB port and the power light is on. Tape inserted and pressed play.

On Powerdirector I pressed Alt-F9 but nothing is displayed on the preview screen, so I'm not able to commence recording.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you might be able to offer because I'm an inexperienced user. It has worked in the past so I'm assuming I need to ensure the settings are set up correctly.

Many thanks
David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2022 06:40

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I would check to see if the AnalogTV button is selected in the Capture page. Check to see if the setting is for Composite and not S-Video since that is what you have. Other settings may have changed too so make sure it is set to the appropriate PAL settings, etc. Windows and PD updates may change or change the previous settings so you need to check and set them each time if necessary.
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I would check to see if the AnalogTV button is selected in the Capture page. Check to see if the setting is for Composite and not S-Video since that is what you have. Other settings may have changed too so make sure it is set to the appropriate PAL settings, etc. Windows and PD updates may change or change the previous settings so you need to check and set them each time if necessary.

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the Capture screen and none of the buttons or options are shown. I have attached a screenshot of what I can see on the Capture screen. There isn't any other page that comes up when I click on Capture. I did it via Alt + F9
[Thumb - PowerDirector_Screenshot 2022-07-13 170625.png]
 Filename
PowerDirector_Screenshot 2022-07-13 170625.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the screenshot. The VC-500 capture should have a lit up led on the body if it is plugged in to an usb port that is working. The 8th button is Capture from a TV signal on the top left should be lit blue. Click that button and it becomes an active white button.

It looks like the capture device is not powered up with an active working usb port. It is also possible that the capture device or the usb port used is dead. You may want to try a front usb port on the pc.
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for the screenshot. The VC-500 capture should have a lit up led on the body if it is plugged in to an usb port that is working. The 8th button is Capture from a TV signal on the top left should be lit blue. Click that button and it becomes an active white button.

It looks like the capture device is not powered up with an active working usb port. It is also possible that the capture device or the usb port used is dead. You may want to try a front usb port on the pc.

OK I understand... It was plugged in on the front and also in a rear port. The blue light does turn on so it is receiving power from the port, so maybe it is faulty as you suggest. They are quite inexpensive so I'll buy another device. Is there a preferred one that you have used?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2022 13:03

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
How long have you had this vc-500 adapter and was it working in windows 10 before? If you upgraded to win 11, you may want to check the diamondmm website for info and possibly new drivers for it. The device is one of the best sold in the usa. In Europe you may find similar ones for $10. Search this form for ‘vhs capture’ for suggested devices others use.
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How long have you had this vc-500 adapter and was it working in windows 10 before? If you upgraded to win 11, you may want to check the diamondmm website for info and possibly new drivers for it. The device is one of the best sold in the usa. In Europe you may find similar ones for $10. Search this form for ‘vhs capture’ for suggested devices others use.

I think I bought the VC-500 in 2020 and yes you are right, I replaced the computer which has windows 11 and I just reinstalled Powerdirector. I haven't done any vid captures since then, but now you have made me think of another reason. which I hadn't considered until your latest post...

When I installed Powerdirector, I don't think I reinstalled the VC-500 driver. I think I assumed it didn't need specific software and would work via the USB port! surprised

Now I have a mission to check their web site. I'll let you know how it goes...
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]

I think I bought the VC-500 in 2020 and yes you are right, I replaced the computer which has windows 11 and I just reinstalled Powerdirector. I haven't done any vid captures since then, but now you have made me think of another reason. which I hadn't considered until your latest post...

When I installed Powerdirector, I don't think I reinstalled the VC-500 driver. I think I assumed it didn't need specific software and would work via the USB port! surprised

Now I have a mission to check their web site. I'll let you know how it goes...

Well I'm getting closer. I downloaded and installed the VC-500 software. When I clicked on Capture I selected the device and I get sound but no picture. Screenshot attached. Could there be another setting to change?
[Thumb - Screenshot 2022-07-13 210531.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2022-07-13 210531.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]

Well I'm getting closer. I downloaded and installed the VC-500 software. When I clicked on Capture I selected the device and I get sound but no picture. Screenshot attached. Could there be another setting to change?

Another step forward. It was set to S-Video and now it's Composite but when I capture there is no picture or sound. I'm sure I'll get there eventually...
[Thumb - Screenshot 2022-07-13 220454.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2022-07-13 220454.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm delighted to say it is finally working. The latest changes I made, including your point about ensuring it isn't set to S-Video. I also rebooted and moved the USB cable to the front port. Anyway I'd like to thank you very much for your help and excellent advice. Now I can get on with converting more VHS and 8mm tapes.
JAVIER LOPEZ ROSILLO [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2019 10:57 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would check to see if the AnalogTV button is selected in the Capture page. Check to see if the setting is for Composite and not S-Video since that is what you have. Other settings may have changed too so make sure it is set to the appropriate PAL settings, etc. Windows and PD updates may change or change the previous settings so you need to check and set them each time if necessary.

Thanks much you all for trying to help me. I am afraid I did not ask the question in the right way. I try again.

Sometimes when i enter Capture menu, instead of reaching a menu in whch capture mode is enabled to capture from any source, and shows the "blue" screen where what you cacture is seen (1st image shared), I find a different menu with the capture feature disabled (in black, 2nd image shared).

What shouls I do to get the enabled menu?.

Thanks much again
[Thumb - Original Capture menu Ok.jpg]
 Filename
Original Capture menu Ok.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Current Capture menu wrong.jpg]
 Filename
Current Capture menu wrong.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
DavidBRose [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks much you all for trying to help me. I am afraid I did not ask the question in the right way. I try again.

Sometimes when i enter Capture menu, instead of reaching a menu in whch capture mode is enabled to capture from any source, and shows the "blue" screen where what you cacture is seen (1st image shared), I find a different menu with the capture feature disabled (in black, 2nd image shared).

What shouls I do to get the enabled menu?.

Thanks much again

I'm not very experienced with this, but I received some good advice from people on here who kindly shared their knowledge. One important point was seeing a blue screen is good. That means the video image via the yellow cable is detected. The other two cables are for the sound. With the blue screen showing have you tried pressing play? I might be wrong, but that should display the pictures. If it doesn't then perhaps something else needs to be set.

Also double check the settings under the profile on the lower right of the capture screen and ensure that is set correctly.
I have attached an example of mine and I hope this helps. Good luck
[Thumb - Screenshot 2022-08-16 112706.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2022-08-16 112706.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Post New]

I'm not very experienced with this, but I received some good advice from people on here who kindly shared their knowledge. One important point was seeing a blue screen is good. That means the video image via the yellow cable is detected. The other two cables are for the sound. With the blue screen showing have you tried pressing play? I might be wrong, but that should display the pictures. If it doesn't then perhaps something else needs to be set.

Also double check the settings under the profile on the lower right of the capture screen and ensure that is set correctly.
I have attached an example of mine and I hope this helps. Good luck

Hello again. Thanks for trying to help me. I may not have explained myself well. Currently I don't reach the menu with the "blue" screen but the other one I enclosed (I enclose again)

I have tried what you say but I am not successful. The Profile menu is disabled.

Thanks again and best regards.
[Thumb - Current Capture menu wrong.jpg]
 Filename
Current Capture menu wrong.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at your two different screenshots, it would mean that the capture device is not connected to your new pc active usb port. It is also possible that you installed the capture device driver on the old computer so you get the blue screen on that screenshot. You did not think it was necessary to install the device driver on the new pc which shows the analog TV button not active. Try installing the device driver on it and see if it helps.

If installing the capture device driver did not help then you can buy a new capture device to see if it works on your new pc.
[Post New]
Quote Looking at your two different screenshots, it would mean that the capture device is not connected to your new pc active usb port. It is also possible that you installed the capture device driver on the old computer so you get the blue screen on that screenshot. You did not think it was necessary to install the device driver on the new pc which shows the analog TV button not active. Try installing the device driver on it and see if it helps.

If installing the capture device driver did not help then you can buy a new capture device to see if it works on your new pc.

Thanks for your answer. Just clarifyinf that both screenshots relate to only one PC. The 1st screenshot was taken when it worked and the 2nd one now that it doesn't.

But your advuse has been of much help. I have connected the capture device in another USB port...and now I have again the blue screen BACK AND available.

THANKS MUCH Tomasc!!!!!

Javier
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Good capture requires a good playback device whether camcorder or VHS deck.
Preferred is the s-video for a cleaner image, using a well-running clean device such as a JVC or Mitsubishi.
If you can find a machine with TBC you'll be far better off. As a poor man's TBC you can try the Euro version of Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15 DVD recorder.
Do not use the ES to record to DVD, just use it as a pass-thru to stabilize the image, and only if the image needs it, as the pass-thru can have some small degredation of the image. It's always a trade-off with tape. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT