Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the best format for rendering video for a DVD?
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
I see that in PowerDirector 19 the choices of formats in which to render video has changed.

I have edited together a 90-minute video that includes a lot of hi-def footage and I would like to take advantage of that for the DVD that I am producing. It is 30 FPS (NTSC).

What would be the best format setting to use? Zorikh
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Smartfit for a 16:9 Aspect ratio project may be desired. You may want to look into creating an AVCHD Disc on DVD. This is 720/60p and 1080/60p quality on a DVD. No BD drive is needed, just a plain DVD drive. The created disc can be played from any pc with only a DVD drive and on higher end Sony standalone BD players. You can create them with low bitrates like 6 to 8 Mbps video to fit that 90 minute project on a DVD+R DL.

Read the help files in PD19 to help get you started.
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Smartfit for a 16:9 Aspect ratio project may be desired. You may want to look into creating an AVCHD Disc on DVD. This is 720/60p and 1080/60p quality on a DVD. No BD drive is needed, just a plain DVD drive. The created disc can be played from any pc with only a DVD drive and on higher end Sony standalone BD players. You can create them with low bitrates like 6 to 8 Mbps video to fit that 90 minute project on a DVD+R DL.

Read the help files in PD19 to help get you started.

Thanks! So you don't think I should go for the full 1280? or will the difference not be noticeable on a hi-def TV when playing a DVD?

Wait.. I was looking for the Smart fit button (went onto the index of the help menu to find out that it was two words) and didn;t find it, but I fopund the "custom analysis" button. That gve me a selection of options.

I think 1280 should be the optimal size, I know it is 30 fps, and I am pretty sure MP4 is the right file format, so I selected the option that had those parameters, and started it rolling.

I wil update this when I see the result.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2022 19:48

Zorikh
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
For a 16:9 Aspect Ratio project, 720/60p simply means 1280 x 720 resolution at 60 frames a second. Same meaning for the other one.
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote For a 16:9 Aspect Ratio project, 720/60p simply means 1280 x 720 resolution at 60 frames a second. Same meaning for the other one.

I rendered it under the setting I described and it worked! It was done in about an hour or so! I had been tryng other things that were taking multiple hours and sometimes not getting done at all.

Thanks! Zorikh