Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
RAW editing not recovering highlights
QuintinD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2017 09:59 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I am editing CR3 Canon files, and notice that I cannot recover highlights in PhD13, using the 'brightest' slider adjustment It looks like the RAW file is behaving as a JPG in that there is no recovery at all in the highlights.

I import the same image into Lightroom (after converting to a DNG and I have an old version that does'nt handle CR3) and hey presto full recovery and clouds, its chalk and cheese.

In case it was a CR3 issue, I even imported the DNG to PhD and its just the same......

Does anyone else have this with RAW editing? As its basically renders shooting in RAW a waste of time. I purchased PhD as I got fed up with Abode wanting a subscriptions.....

I attached screenshots of PhD vs Lightroom on the same photo and teh sliders in question highlighted.

Thanks

Quintin
[Thumb - PhD.jpg]
 Filename
PhD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PhD - Cloud detail just not there
 Filesize
212 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - Lightroom.jpg]
 Filename
Lightroom.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Lightroom - look at the clouds
 Filesize
220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello QuintinD,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

I'm not seeing such a significant difference with the CR3 files I've tested. Perhaps you'd be prepared to share your RAW file, so direct comparisons can be made. I'm not doubting your observations for a moment.

I've uploaded a folder of comparison screenshots (PhD13 & LrC) to Google Drive. I've also uploaded the 2 CR3 files I used for this test. One is from Canon EOS R6 & the other from Canon EOS 90D

If there's an issue we can replicate, we'll certainly pass it on to the team at CL for investigation.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2022 01:11

PIX YouTube channel
QuintinD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2017 09:59 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello QuintinD,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

I'm not seeing such a significant difference with the CR3 files I've tested. Perhaps you'd be prepared to share your RAW file, so direct comparisons can be made. I'm not doubting your observations for a moment.

I've uploaded a folder of comparison screenshots (PhD13 & LrC) to Google Drive. I've also uploaded the 2 CR3 files I used for this test. One is from Canon EOS R6 & the other from Canon EOS 90D

If there's an issue we can replicate, we'll certainly pass it on to the team at CL for investigation.

PIX

Hi PIX Thank you so much for your reply and time taken to look in to it. I wasn't expecting a quick reply to be honest.

I attached a different example illustrated the way you did in PhD and Lr with the split screen. I also attach the RAW CR3 file. You can see the difference clearly between the two shots in the over exposed sky in the background.

Again, thanks so much

Regards,

Quintin
[Thumb - CR3 Lightroom.jpg]
 Filename
CR3 Lightroom.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)