Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PWD14 crashes when trying to burn and save an image
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2016 13:24 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Anyone who can help me figuring this one out?
I've since a couple of days back have had my PowerDirector 14 crashing when trying to burn an image to disk.
I've made a project file which I try to burn as an H.264 Blu-ray image file, which I save to my SSD-disc before burning it to a real Blu-Ray disc. I've also tried making MPEG2 images of the same project file with the same result. At 20% of the work progress, an error code shows up; "Burning unsuccessful. Error Code: eE0140016 (E0140016)". After a minute the program then crashes and turns itself off.
I've made several attempts and the only result I have is unfinished file images left on my SSD. All images with the exact same size of 12032 kB.
I've restarted the program and the computer. I've emptied cache files in the program and in the computer.
I've shortened the project file as low as about 7800 GB of estimated size. Normally I can do files around 15-18 GB before the program shuts down due to, what I assume is a file size issue vs CPU performance, but then at around 80% of the estimated time - not already at 20%. Even the shortened projects crashes at 20% and leaves an unfinished image file of 12032 kB.
I've also made a trial project with a much lower size (only 900 MB) and that worked fine (besides taking a tremendous amount of time for such a little project).
I've been running the program since 2016, and only have only had problems when the files have become too big. I burned image files last week without problems.
I've also tried saving the image on different places (new folders, different HDD and so on). I've also tried as an old forum thread suggested, to save to folder - same result. 20% and crash.

An odd thing I've noticed is that the menu alternatives seem to be faulty somehow. I can't shift picture from the start menu preview to the chapter menu preview. I can shift menu templates, but I can't change anything in the menu, like changing the title "My video" to something else. Only top menu and first chapter page can be changed. This menu problem is new and happened for the first time when this burning problem then started. However, the short file mentioned also has a menu and it worked.

Cleaned the computer a few months ago, so I wouln't think overheating due to dust is the problem.

System running:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/24/10 14:10:09 Ver: 08.00.15 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
Page File: 5619MB used, 8515MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.1741 64bit Unicode

Any ideas?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote An odd thing I've noticed is that the menu alternatives seem to be faulty somehow. I can't shift picture from the start menu preview to the chapter menu preview. I can shift menu templates, but I can't change anything in the menu, like changing the title "My video" to something else. Only top menu and first chapter page can be changed. This menu problem is new and happened for the first time when this burning problem then started. However, the short file mentioned also has a menu and it worked.

The 20% crash problem you indicated is caused by the menu. Replace the menu with a known previous working one. Better still. Preview the menu in the Create Disc page. Many times the menu will not play properly as viewed when there is a problem in later versions of PD.

Menus should be edited properly. The Content/Menu Structure button allows you to rename each chapter title if desired once a proper menu is in place. I rarely use this feature as it can be slow and takes a powerful pc to make it bearable. There is no problem for me to edit the titles using the Preview screen. The background can move or shift if you choose the proper fx while in the Menu Designer.

I would prefer to Create a folder instead of an image as this allows one to analyze the files for any problems without having to mount an image to see the BD structure.

Hope this helps...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2022 00:07

Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your suggestions. It gave me some new ideas to try, but sadly, the problem is still there.

I had tried several different menu templates before posting, most of which I've used before in previous projects without any problem.
This time I change to the one that worked fine last week, and I tried the preview function in which the menu worked perfectly.

I tried a new burn process.
The pop-up-burning-process-box shows up.,
It starts counting the elapsed time, but sets no remaining time.
Percentage is counting up to 20%.
Then the pop-up shifts to "not responding" (which it has done from time to time even before reaching 20%)
The timer stops
The screen flickers between showing the windows taskbar and not showing it
After a few minutes, the timer starts moving again (after jumping from the frozen time to a new time, so something has been ticking in the background). It counts another 15-30 seconds, then the error message shows again.

I also might add, that the menu, even the new one and all other ones I've tried still acts funny.
In the beginning I changed the top menu default "My Video" text to the text I wanted.
Usually it propagates to the chapter pages headline too, but this time it only changed the first level.
I had to add information seperately at level 2.
Level 3-5 still showed "My Video".
I couldn't access these levels to change them for some reason.
Even if I changed the menu type, the same situation remained.
So I tried erasing all chapters and leaving only 1 chapter with only 1 chapter screen. Saved the project under a new file name.
Still no success when trying to burn.
I saved the project, closed the program, restarted the computer, started the program again, cleared the cached files, closed program, started program and reloaded the saved project with only one chapter.
Then I added chapters again and replaced the menu to the one intended.
This is where it get strange - the program remembers the original setting and leaves level 3-5 as "My Video" and level 2 automaticly formates itself to the format I added the first time.
This shouldn't be happening - right?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Try this: Select no menu and try it again. Let us know if this works now. If it doesn’t then load up a previous working Blu-ray project and try to burn that image. This will help to narrow down the problem.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Short update.
Tried with no menu.
Crashed instantly far before 20%

I also might add, that I've burned images from this project, but then the project was split in two parts. Same menu as I have had trouble with in those two projects.

File size down to around 4,4 GB. Only one chapter menu with 6 motion thumbnails.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2022 11:17

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you do not have a previous working project to create an image, then it is possible that the clips at the beginning of the timeline are corrupted. Menu creation ends at 20%. Video creation starts at 20% to 99%.

To test this, place a single unrelated different clip on the timeline, select no menu, and try to create that image. It should work and take only a few minutes to find out.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok... haven't tried that, but...I have burned two images of this project already, but first after splitting it up from 8,7 GB to two parts around 4,2 GB each (first half and second half)? It works! If I had corrupt files in the beginning, then that part shouldn't work, or am I wrong?

I've tried making versions where I remove the end bit by bit scaling it down from 8,7 to 8,0 to 6,5 before splitting it in two equal parts. Neither of the "bit-by-bit" version worked.

I'm starting to consider that the processor might be overheated after all since the problem also seems to be related to the size of the file (even if last weeks project was of equal size, around 8 GB)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
See this sticky: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354916 and attach the DzDiag.txt and the PD14 version numbers on your next reply for further help.

The pc is 13 years old and may have accumulated a lot of dust inside and/or the fans need to be serviced. You may have to do some cleaning.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dxdiag attatched.
 Filename
PWD14error.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Dxdiag
 Filesize
123 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the Dxdiag.txt. You are using an earlier build of PD14.02820.0. You got many crashes on PD14. The latest patch to build 4207 can help and is available here: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html . The nvidia graphics driver is too recent to allow hardware encoding in PD14 but it is okay for creating discs.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
The update won't work (error message attached). It might be of importance that I've bought the program on Steam. Steam doesn't detect any updates or upgrads pending.
[Thumb - Error4207.jpg]
 Filename
Error4207.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
On the top right of the PD14 Edit page, click the blue bell notification button in front of the word PowerDirector to check for updates available for the Steam version. If none is available then contact Cyberlink support. They will give you the updates for free. You may also supply them with the link to this thread so that they are aware of your problems so far.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I click the blue bell, I get the answer that everything is up to date - no new updates available (se picture).
I am in contact with the official supprot already, but so far they hav me jumping through the ordinary heldesk routine (drivers, restarts, Dxdiag and all those thing that you do first before you contact the support). So far your help have proven much more constructive and useful in eliminating possible sources for the fault.
[Thumb - UpdateStatus.jpg]
 Filename
UpdateStatus.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a screenshot of the About screen that will appear when you click on the large PowerDirector text at the top right of the app? That will tell us which version of PD14 you have (e.g. Ultimate,) as well as the specific build number.
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sure. No problem. The version is the one that Steam is providing. Build 4207 would be an internesting option, but it seems that I can't update to that version, possibly since it's a Steam downloaded license.

Add as a general update. I've now run a memery test with came back showing no problem.
I've also cleaned the computer again and combined it with a reinstallation of the heat sink and applied new thermal paste. I will try again and see if this made any difference.
[Thumb - PDRversion.jpg]
 Filename
PDRversion.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
181 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Tingeltangel [Avatar]
[Post New]
An update.
The thermal paste didn't work either, at least not in the first couple of days. However, I tried again today, just for fun, and now it worked. No changes, no shortened project file...it just worked full lenght, with menues and everything - it also worked rather quickly.

So while the problem isn't solved entirely, it seems that it is a overheating problem. The weeks with problems have occured during a somewhat warmer period wetatherwise, with temperatures outside hitting +30C and above, leaving the room where the computer stands quite hot. The successful burns the week before the problem started happended when the temp outside was 10 degree celcius lower. During the attempt today the day had been even colder, maybe around 15-20C outside. It's maybe a bit farfetched but so far it's the only thing that have changed between the attempts. Hot air around the computer might have caused a cooling problem making the processor go belly up!

What do you think?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you think your system might be unstable when it gets too hot, there are many free tools you can download and run to stress your system to the limit. See here for some examples.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
This could be a homebuilt computer as the motherboard is not identified. Intel has temperature monitoring software for their Intel brand mb. HW Monitor app works well on younger motherboards to monitor temperature.

You may want to remove the sticker and rubber plug on the HSF and put a drop of oil to lubricate the motor.

You could also replace the HSF with a better aftermarket one rated to cool greater than the 130 watt tdp of the cpu or simply leave the side of the case open. See this thread on what others do: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Core-I7-950-Temperature/m-p/393425 .

Edit: optodata has good stress test software you can use to help determine the problem.