Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BSOD When Installing Power DVD 22
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
This is a tired topic for me that started with PowerDVD 20, BSOD when installing Cyberlink software. Dredging through my memory I recalled a post that said that Microsoft had changed the way that software installs meaning that as well as many things an installation process does, at the end (about 86% complete) it checks/does something to all the USB devices. So apart from my mouse and keyboard I disconnected all other USB devices (scanner, printer etc), and successfully installed the software on the second attempt. The only gotcha was because the installation process uninstalls the previous version I needed the previous license key for the upgrade.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for sharing the solution to this. It is only when installing on Windows 10 or 11 I recall. You'd think Windows would have fixed this blue screen error by now.

Dave
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Windows 10, I haven't taken the step to 11 yet.. I'm not sure if its a Windows thing or a machine thing, not everybody will get it and maybe my machine is "one of those".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2022 18:46

cadgenius [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 04, 2022 00:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am on Power DVD 365 / Windows 10.

Very bad install experiance. Didn't get a BSOD but...

1. The Installer starts by killing network drivers. Then complains there is no internet accesss.

2. Causes graphics (NVIDIA) drivers to crash/reset. Causing me to have to reset what monitor all my apps open on.

3. Then proceeds to cause several hundred 225 Kernal-PnP errors.

4. Crashes .NET and a couple other backround apps.

I needed to reboot to get everything working again.

Can post event logs if someone from CyberLink actually reads this and wants to have a look.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It seems powerdvd will install a kernel mode driver in Windows when setup.
I bet it is relevant with DRM video playback feature.

As far as I know, according to the new Windows 10 or Windows 11 design, the OS will restart all installed virtual and physcial system devices due to security reason when there is any kernel mode driver installed. It is a sort of process and mechanism in Windows OS level.

If your devcies driver has unknown issues or the driver of any of your devices is designed flawly, this sort of soft restart in the Windows OS without system reboot might cause problems you currently noticed, or it is simply that Windows didn't handle the device restart properly.
I don't really think cyberlink can help you investigate and fix "driver restart" issue on your hardware or in the Windows OS.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2022 03:18

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sure it is a Windows issue but having previously resolved it after a lot of messing about I thought I was clear but no, I loaded the latest patch "for a smoother replay" and got the error attached. No Power DVD 22, so it's back to VLC until I can find the time to spend resolving this again. It is the only piece of software that I run that has this problem with install and upgrades.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2022-06-03 165905.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot 2022-06-03 165905.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)