Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
White Balance Performance in PD20??
ScubaCher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2022 23:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have hundreds of underwater videos to make into "movies" (include pics, music, etc.). In iMovie - all I had to do was select WB (white balance) - select a piece of coral or shell in the sand that was white and the whole video was color corrected. Looked beautiful. Same with the pictures - could fix them in iMovie. When I do this in PowerDirector 20 - it looks like crap! Even tried to fix a picture - looks terrible. I can fix the picture the exact same way in PowerPHOTO (via WB) and it looks good. But I need to fix all these videos. Did so much research and PowerDirector was so highly recommended (bought new WINDOWS PC just for editing) - and wasted my money. Anyone know of another QUICK way to correct the color? MANY videos to do. Thanks in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2022 15:04

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have hundreds of underwater videos to make into "movies" (include pics, music, etc.). In iMovie - all I had to do was select WB (white balance) - select a piece of coral or shell in the sand that was white and the whole video was color corrected. Looked beautiful. Same with the pictures - could fix them in iMovie. When I do this in PowerDirector 20 - it looks like crap! Even tried to fix a picture - looks terrible. I can fix the picture the exact same way in PowerPHOTO (via WB) and it looks good. But I need to fix all these videos. Did so much research and PowerDirector was so highly recommended (bought new WINDOWS PC just for editing) - and wasted my money. Anyone know of another QUICK way to correct the color? MANY videos to do. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just using WB alone, I always find some compromise is necessary. I normally manually WB the camera every 2-3 meters change of depth, depending on conditions, and so I find that PDR can produce good results from a well balanced clip. CDR can produce better results on WB and, of course, can do more in the way of color grading.

To try and illustrate, I took a clip shot at about 40m in Croatia, where I was unable to manually WB the camera (long story!) I have used my best effort at using WB color picker only in PDR and CDR and, yes, there is a better result in CDR.

As a side note, I have rarely used the WB picker just on a "white" or "black" selection, as I often find some other selection color gives more real-life balance - but that's in the eye of the beholder pehaps?

As shot

PDR20

CDR

So maybe PDR alone cannot correct well enough for you in some situations and you may have to look at other solutions for your required color adjustments.
Adrian
[Thumb - As shot .png]
 Filename
As shot .png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
802 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR20 2812 .png]
 Filename
PDR20 2812 .png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
826 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - CDR 10.3.2701.png]
 Filename
CDR 10.3.2701.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
800 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2022 15:35

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ScubaCher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2022 23:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply (and beautiful shot of the octopus)! After posting, I did more research and stumbled into Color Director. You would "think" Color Director would be Included in PowerDirector. I tried with Color Director and the outcome was much better than via PowerDirector. *But still not as good as iMovie, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to purchase ColorDirector (using the trial version right now). Thanks again for replying and sharing your underwater shots and corrections.

Hi,

Just using WB alone, I always find some compromise is necessary. I normally manually WB the camera every 2-3 meters change of depth, depending on conditions, and so I find that PDR can produce good results from a well balanced clip. CDR can produce better results on WB and, of course, can do more in the way of color grading.

To try and illustrate, I took a clip shot at about 40m in Croatia, where I was unable to manually WB the camera (long story!) I have used my best effort at using WB color picker only in PDR and CDR and, yes, there is a better result in CDR.

As a side note, I have rarely used the WB picker just on a "white" or "black" selection, as I often find some other selection color gives more real-life balance - but that's in the eye of the beholder pehaps?

As shot

PDR20

CDR

So maybe PDR alone cannot correct well enough for you in some situations and you may have to look at other solutions for your required color adjustments.
Adrian