Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD365 is unstable on my pc.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Running PD365 latest version 20.3.2714.0 on Windows 11.

I have edited short projects on PD365 in the past. Editing a 1.5 hour 1080p30 precut video is very unstable. I get scrubber crash if I move the scrubber forward and backward to locate a specific point, especially on a split. The cpu utilization goes up as the pc cpu fan spins up and the timeline is no longer responsive. Popup Messages give the choice to close or wait. There is a spinning circle even if the cpu utilization is down. Must close to continue. Must restart PD365 each time. Must save after each split before moving the cursor for the nest split as a scrubber crash will happen if the cursor is moved a few times and the cpu utilization starts to go up again.

Found that Tab does not switch between the Storybook and Timeline view. The Storybook mode is grayed out in View. Page up and Page Down do not switch between the Clip and Movie mode. Closed PD365. Started PD17 with a similar project. Able to switch between the Timeline and Storyboard view. Able to switch between Clip and Movie mode. Closed PD17.

Reopen PD365 with the same project. Able to switch between Storybook and Timeline mode now. Able to switch between Clip and Movie mode now with Page Up and Page Down keys. It looks like having PD17 open, use of the keys, closing it added something to PD365 to make those functions work.

PD365 does not work with Panasonic AVCHD1080p60 5.1 28 Mbps video clips properly with SVRT. There is a color bleed across the beginning of clips for several seconds. CPU or GPU encoding is needed in order for the colors to be okay. All this worked using SVRT in my previous versions of PowerDirector versions 17 and below.

It looks like PD365 is not really good on my pc with the latest Intel and latest Nvidia drivers. Anyone else having unstable problems. Looks like loading an earlier version of PD first is necessary to get PD365 working better.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 23. 2022 18:58

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This all sounds frustrating. I don't have issues with <Page Up/Down> or using <Tab>, but there have been times where some of the newer versions had problems the first time a feature was used, but afterwards it worked as expected. Using PD17 might be doing the same thing on your system. Does the issue repeat after rebooting or was it a one-time situation?

Also, could you share a packed project to see if other people see the same poor responsiveness and/or SVRT problems?
ZyPaul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2021 04:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have many similar issues, 13 crashes in one morning! I thought it was a codec problem but videos rendered by PD cause more problems so started using Handbrake to fast render them but that only works on 1080 vids. I attempted to do a 45second clip and it was going to take 51 hours to render....

I can't preview anything for longer than a couple of seconds, then pause and restart for the next few seconds and sometimes it works. Just did a render over night and came back to 46 seconds done and 151 hours to go. Looks like the couple of hours I put into making the video is wasted, tried to give the program high priority in task amanger but nade no difference at all. The CPU usage goes upto 80% or whatever then after 10 seconds drops to 0.2% and that's when the program just does not work.

I've tried with the sample clips that come with the app and they work ok but everything dies if you have HEVC or 4K stuff.

Quote Running PD365 latest version 20.3.2714.0 on Windows 11.

I have edited short projects on PD365 in the past. Editing a 1.5 hour 1080p30 precut video is very unstable. I get scrubber crash if I move the scrubber forward and backward to locate a specific point, especially on a split. The cpu utilization goes up as the pc cpu fan spins up and the timeline is no longer responsive. Popup Messages give the choice to close or wait. There is a spinning circle even if the cpu utilization is down. Must close to continue. Must restart PD365 each time. Must save after each split before moving the cursor for the nest split as a scrubber crash will happen if the cursor is moved a few times and the cpu utilization starts to go up again.

Found that Tab does not switch between the Storybook and Timeline view. The Storybook mode is grayed out in View. Page up and Page Down do not switch between the Clip and Movie mode. Closed PD365. Started PD17 with a similar project. Able to switch between the Timeline and Storyboard view. Able to switch between Clip and Movie mode. Closed PD17.

Reopen PD365 with the same project. Able to switch between Storybook and Timeline mode now. Able to switch between Clip and Movie mode now with Page Up and Page Down keys. It looks like having PD17 open, use of the keys, closing it added something to PD365 to make those functions work.

PD365 does not work with Panasonic AVCHD1080p60 5.1 28 Mbps video clips properly with SVRT. There is a color bleed across the beginning of clips for several seconds. CPU or GPU encoding is needed in order for the colors to be okay. All this worked using SVRT in my previous versions of PowerDirector versions 17 and below.

It looks like PD365 is not really good on my pc with the latest Intel and latest Nvidia drivers. Anyone else having unstable problems. Looks like loading an earlier version of PD first is necessary to get PD365 working better.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have many similar issues, 13 crashes in one morning! I thought it was a codec problem but videos rendered by PD cause more problems so started using Handbrake to fast render them but that only works on 1080 vids. I attempted to do a 45second clip and it was going to take 51 hours to render....

We'd need a lot more details to assist you. Start with the specific clip you're using and either share the MediaInfo text file or upload the clip to the forum directly using the Attachments button so other people can work with it. To use the MediaInfo online tool, drag your clip there then click on the Download MediaInfo report button and attach it to your reply.

Handbrake will render to any dimensions and format you want, but you'll have to tweak the settings beyond the few suppled default profiles.

Quote I can't preview anything for longer than a couple of seconds, then pause and restart for the next few seconds and sometimes it works. Just did a render over night and came back to 46 seconds done and 151 hours to go. Looks like the couple of hours I put into making the video is wasted, tried to give the program high priority in task amanger but nade no difference at all. The CPU usage goes upto 80% or whatever then after 10 seconds drops to 0.2% and that's when the program just does not work.

I've tried with the sample clips that come with the app and they work ok but everything dies if you have HEVC or 4K stuff.

Poor previewing performance can be addressed by taking one or more steps in FAQ #7.

Please follow the instructions in the Read Me Before Posting guide and supply the DxDiag results so we can see the technical details of your computer. You may also want to use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page to find a more suitable output format.
ZyPaul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2021 04:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]

We'd need a lot more details to assist you. Start with the specific clip you're using and either share the MediaInfo text file or upload the clip to the forum directly using the Attachments button so other people can work with it. To use the MediaInfo online tool, drag your clip there then click on the Download MediaInfo report button and attach it to your reply.

Handbrake will render to any dimensions and format you want, but you'll have to tweak the settings beyond the few suppled default profiles.

Poor previewing performance can be addressed by taking one or more steps in FAQ #7.

Please follow the instructions in the Read Me Before Posting guide and supply the DxDiag results so we can see the technical details of your computer. You may also want to use the Profile Analyzer on the Produce page to find a more suitable output format.

I think I solved it, using Handbrake I converted the video to MKV 264 and it worked. There's a real problem with HEVC and 265 codecs, even if you use PD to render in 265.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I think I solved it, using Handbrake I converted the video to MKV 264 and it worked. There's a real problem with HEVC and 265 codecs, even if you use PD to render in 265.

I'm glad that helped, but that means you'll have to continue converting all your clips before editing.

You might want to share the source clips with CL tech support so they can look into the issue and possibly release a patch if there's an incompatibility. You can reach them here.