Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to attach second video source to master video for splitting and copying ease?
JENNIFER L [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2010 22:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using Version 8.

I recorded the audio portion for my video separately on a digital recorder, since my video camera was going to be too far away from the subject to capture high-quality audio.

I've separated the original audio track from the video file and deleted it.

I would like to permanently attach the second audio track to the master video track. Is there any way to do this?

I've created several splits in both the second audio track (from the digital recorder) and the video master track.

When I try to move a piece of video around on the timeline, my corresponding audio seems to disappear from the second audio track. Even if they didn't, it seems silly to have to move both the video and audio tracks separately.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Jennifer

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jennifer,

PD offers 2 basic choices :-
Link all tracks (default - changed by Alt-C>Editing)
Lock a track (padlock icon on left of track)

When the tracks are linked :-
removing main track contents removes the linked track contents

moving main track contents (by inserting say an image clip) moves the linked content

All other main track operations - copy,past split etc are not "mirrored" so such operations have to be done "manually" to linked tracks.

When a track is locked no editing is possible and the track timeline is fixed.

Often the best way may be to use a workflow in stages.

In this case maybe do the main matching of video and audio as a separate project and produce as a "new" video - this "recombines" the video/audio link.

This can then form the basis for the other editing, effects transitions etc since this new file can be split and edited as required but the audio is now directly linked.

You didn't mention the distances involved but you might be interested in using a cheap (c. £10) wireless mic for some things:-

http://www.smwov.com/view/41/freedom-1/
or modified to give about 85m range
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/722/modifying-a-wireless-mic/

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jennifer -

Just to echo what Adrian has said, I've only recently done exactly that. I started with clips from 2 cameras & a separate audio recording & followed the same sort of process Adrian described.

1. Sync audio with clip from main camera - mute clip - no editing done - Produce.
2. Produced file in main video track - clip 2 (muted) in PiP for overlays.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tescosfinest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2010 17:29 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I have a similar need - a wedding video I've shot has two cameras and one audio. I want to line up the one camera as the master video and the second camera in the pip track and then 'cut away' slices of the pip track to flip between the two camera angles. This is great however the pip track makes things difficult in 2 regards:

1) You have to carefully set the scaling of the pip track as it defaults to a small box
2) SVRT isn't available as it thinks the video is modified even though I've tried to scale the pip box to full frame. As at least 50% of the movie will be the pip track this makes rendering much longer

Is there no way to create a proper second full frame video track? Pip tracks seem a little too fiddly for the purpose of multiple camera angles.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Andrew
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,
There is no facility to have a second "main" video track.

However, depending on your video clips, your workflow might make it easier.

Ideal for this purpose would be to have two cameras running constantly. One dropped into the main track the other into the PiP. If they synch OK then adjust the PiP size etc and then start your PiP splitting/editing. In this way, your positioning needs only to be done once.

However, that might not be possible (depending on the 2 cameras etc) but the same basic principle might apply to the PiP clips anyway to make it less of a hassle.

I did a brief example of another technique using a .png grid system and a screen magnifier to give precise pip placement if it's of any interest :-
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/582/precise-pip-placement/

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
tescosfinest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2010 17:29 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ideal for this purpose would be to have two cameras running constantly. One dropped into the main track the other into the PiP. If they synch OK then adjust the PiP size etc and then start your PiP splitting/editing. In this way, your positioning needs only to be done once.

Thanks Adrian - This approach makes sense, although it still won't allow for SVRT during the pip clips. Ah well, you can't have everything!

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2010 18:37