Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 15. Best way to fix dropped frames on old video
ozstar [Avatar]
Member Location: Sydney OZ Joined: Apr 21, 2012 20:13 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

In the project I have old video which has been copied to an avi file and while most is steady, every now and then it jumps and jitters a bit.

What is the best way to fix this please? Find the fame and delete?

oz
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
First make sure you have the project frame rate set to match the frame rate of the AVI clip. Use the online MediaInfo tool if needed to see the clip's details.

If the skips are still present, try cutting the clip at each skip then place a very short (0.1 second) cross fade transition across the start and end of the now separate clips which may smooth the jumpiness. Extending the duration a bit may be needed for large skips.

Set the default transition duration from the Preferences | Editing menu. The shortest duration allowed there is 0.1 second, but you can manually change the duration of a transition after it's been placed on the timeline to just 2 frames if desired.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 28. 2022 01:35

ozstar [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks.

I haven't had time to go into this as the floods get c,lsoer to us, however I did seem to nortice that if I put the clip with the old videos on another track, I didn't get the flicker.

Could that be possible or am I imagining it?

Thanks

oz
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't mention whether the original clip flickers when you view it in a media player like VLC. I was assuming that it does have dropped frames, and you'd then follow the steps I gave to smooth them over.

As long as the project and clip frame rates are the same, you shouldn't see any new jumps when working with the clip in PD, regardless of which track was used. It's also possible that your PC is a little underpowered and you might want to reduce the timeline preview resolution to see if that smooths out the playback.
ozstar [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You didn't mention whether the original clip flickers when you view it in a media player like VLC. I was assuming that it does have dropped frames, and you'd then follow the steps I gave to smooth them over.

As long as the project and clip frame rates are the same, you shouldn't see any new jumps when working with the clip in PD, regardless of which track was used. It's also possible that your PC is a little underpowered and you might want to reduce the timeline preview resolution to see if that smooths out the playback.

Many thanks..

I'm trying to get something that makes sense and come back so yoy can get a clear pic of what is going on.

oz