Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio playback crackle and volume loss
DavidADS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2021 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I've searched and read through early posts regarding crackling with audio files. I don't seem to be using related applications tied to the problem. I also note that files play back nice and clean, but when I reopen PD 365 so many of the audio music background files play with no volume (low) and all crackled up. They are almost entirely downloaded from our DZone location.

Would someone mind explaining for me and is there anything other than converting all of those downloaded files to wav files, which will take a while.

Thank you in advance.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you make a screen recording showing the specific clips you're having trouble with? Be sure to preview the clip(s) so we can hear what it/they sound like on your system, then upload it to YouTube and paste a link here or simply use the Attachments button below the forum's text box.

It may also help to see the technical details of your computer. Follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag results.
DavidADS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for responding. I've never done any of that so I will generate info and send tomorrow. You will have to tell me if video is what you needed. Thanks again.
DavidADS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attached is the recording of one of the audio files from DZone that went from working to crackle and low volume after either closing and reopening PowerDirector 365 or rendering preview.

Pls let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag report of my system
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
109 time(s)
 Filename
DavidADS audio sample 20220123155640.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
recorded audio file displaying crackling characteristics
 Filesize
7868 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
99 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the attachments. Although you posted in the PowerDirector forum, the recording show that you're actually using AudioDirector.

The audio distortion you recorded is clearly caused by clipping, which is when at least one link in the audio chain before the speakers is turned up too high. In your case, since you say that the downloaded audio files seem to have a low volume, at some point you must have tried to increase the volume using one of the Windows audio settings and that may have caused the distortion.

Which clip did you use for this recording? It's name shows as 1585292577711.mp3 but it would help to know what the name is on DZ so other people can download and examine it.

Also, what happens if you load the same clip into PowerDirector 20/365?
DavidADS [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am experiencing the crackling from within PD 365 both when I sample from library location and from the audio track.
I only recorded it from AudioD because I thought that might show you something specific. I have only used the AudioD a couple of times to add a little bass on a couple of sound clips.

The name that shows up from within PD Background music area is "Crisp Afternoon". Because of the problems I was having I deleted clip from track and from library listing. It still shows up there, but it now shows the download arrow rather than it being downloaded. I tried that sample from there and it still cracks. So, I thought I would go out and find it again and try and get a new copy of it but now I can't seem to find it anywhere. I checked DZone and Shutterstock with no success. I don't know if it comes as part of the original install of the PD 365 package or where I got it from.

Although you appear to have identified the problem, I will have to begin a new search for a comparable audio file for the gap in the video I'm working on. I will also pay more attention to the volume. I am finding a number of audio files showing up as "clipping" in the wave display.

If you find the original file it would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my problem. Greatly appreciated.
optodata
[Post New]
Ok. It's a bit challenging to help because of the inconsistencies between what you've posted and what's actually happening. PD vs AD for one, and stating that you'd downloaded the clips from DirectorZone when they're actually from the PD365 Background Music library. Those are completely different sources.

Meanwhile, Crisp Afternoon has full volume and no distortion on my system in both PD365 and AD. Here's the PD audio waveform shown without any modifications:

As I wrote in my last post, it seems like something in your audio chain isn't set correctly and the that lines up with both AD and PD being affected. The DxDiag results show that you have 3 audio drivers installed, and the quickest way to figure out which one is giving you trouble is to right-click on the Windows taskbar Volume icon and choose Sound Settings. (Note I'm on Win 11)

I imagine either LG HDR WQHD or Speakers (Realtek) will be the selected output device and you should try selecting the other one to see if that makes an obvious difference. You may want to turn the speaker volume waaaaay down before testing this!

If that works, you can simply keep using that device and/or you can open up Device Manager and uninstall the malfunctioning device then reboot and let Windows reinstall the device and connect the latest driver. That should reset all the settings on the broken device and may restore full functionality.
DavidADS [Avatar]
[Post New]
I apologize for the conflicting information. I've only worked with the program for a short time and definitely do not have a grasp on the many resource locations and other areas that are available. Sometimes the cart gets before the horse as I get carried away in one way or another. Finding access to the many wonderful resources for PD is a bit overwhelming.

Thank you for the help and patience with me. I'm sure that I will have questions in the future that may strain someones patience again, but I do appreciate the help.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I duplicated DavidADS findings years ago when I replaced a monitor with an LG with internal speakers like what he is using. The internal audio amplifier is something like 2 Watts/channel and distorts easily with music turned up. Do not have the problem at all with the same music on Realtek audio driven by a powered 3 piece speaker system made for computers. Hard to hear distortion with the dynamic range on a good audio system when the yellow clipping is shown in the sample clips and other users' project timeline screenshots. I always lower the volume to where the visible clipping does not occur anyway. Could not find the audio specs online for the monitor he has.

Edit: Glad that optodata helped with the audio solution while I was still typing.