Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Building my next editing rig.. need advice
AirgunWeb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2021 17:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all

I find that getting simple direct answers from CyberLInk is very tough. I'm hoping that you all can help.

I'm a content creator and I switched from MAC back to PC last year. The reason I liked the MAC was its ability to edit multiple 4K videos streams with relative ease. What I did not like about the MAC is it's locked architecture.

Here’s what I’ve got acquired so far for my new build.

Intel i9-12900k
32 gb ddr5
Z690 m-board
Nvme storage

Here are my options for graphics cards:

RTX 3070TI
RTX 3060
RX 6700XT

On paper the 3070 TI is the “best” choice. But, since I’m generally working with multiple 4K videos layered on top of each other, will the 12GB vram in the 3060 and 6700 xt provide any advantage over the 3070TI.

So that’s my question. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello all

I find that getting simple direct answers from CyberLInk is very tough. I'm hoping that you all can help.

I'm a content creator and I switched from MAC back to PC last year. The reason I liked the MAC was its ability to edit multiple 4K videos streams with relative ease. What I did not like about the MAC is it's locked architecture.

Here’s what I’ve got acquired so far for my new build.

Intel i9-12900k
32 gb ddr5
Z690 m-board
Nvme storage

Here are my options for graphics cards:

RTX 3070TI
RTX 3060
RX 6700XT

On paper the 3070 TI is the “best” choice. But, since I’m generally working with multiple 4K videos layered on top of each other, will the 12GB vram in the 3060 and 6700 xt provide any advantage over the 3070TI.

So that’s my question. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

I'm not sure where you read the 3070 Ti is "best" choice for PD. The GA102, 104, 106 used in the 30 series GPU's all have 7th generation NVENC so they will be virtually the same with PD. The only real difference, if you like to use large section of video with say the Van Gogh AI Style Pack, performance difference will exist. vram increase to 12GB will have little effect, monitor your vram usage now and see what you use for the editing features you use.

I've not had too good of luck with AMD cards and PD. Great GPU's, too many anomalies with PD with slow/no resolution.

I don't see this addressing your fundamental need of fluid editing multiple 4K streams with PD though, presumably recorded at high bitrates. Proxy files, intermediate codec conversion, would need to be done to achieve true fluidity while editing, even then, color correction, stabilization or features like that would need proper workflow to minimize editing drag.

Good luck on your new build.

Jeff
AirgunWeb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info.

I guess what I'm finding is that while Apple is very constricted on its hardware, it's optimized for the kind of content creation workflow I'm used to, without having to jump through a lot of hoops. It just works.

I'm running mostly Panasonic and Sony cameras and for the most part, it's been fine now that I'm using shadow files (do you know of a way to specify where those are created? I'd like to not have them on my main app drive)

As for the 3070ti, "performance" numbers have it as "faster" than the other cards, but I know that does not tell the whole story of how it will work in PD. If the encoder is essentially the same and therefore does not matter, I may just stick with a 3060 for editing and save the 3070ti a gaming rig.

Not that it's relevant, but I'm disappointed that the AMD GPUs do not perform well with PD. Seems they are still struggling to catch up to Nvidia on many fronts.

I guess I'll continue the learning curve as it's been a painful and expensive one, but I have learned a lot in the process.

Thanks again for the help. I may do some videos on the journey from mac to PC content creation to help others through the process.

Cheers
Rick

I'm not sure where you read the 3070 Ti is "best" choice for PD. The GA102, 104, 106 used in the 30 series GPU's all have 7th generation NVENC so they will be virtually the same with PD. The only real difference, if you like to use large section of video with say the Van Gogh AI Style Pack, performance difference will exist. vram increase to 12GB will have little effect, monitor your vram usage now and see what you use for the editing features you use.

I've not had too good of luck with AMD cards and PD. Great GPU's, too many anomalies with PD with slow/no resolution.

I don't see this addressing your fundamental need of fluid editing multiple 4K streams with PD though, presumably recorded at high bitrates. Proxy files, intermediate codec conversion, would need to be done to achieve true fluidity while editing, even then, color correction, stabilization or features like that would need proper workflow to minimize editing drag.

Good luck on your new build.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm running mostly Panasonic and Sony cameras and for the most part, it's been fine now that I'm using shadow files (do you know of a way to specify where those are created? I'd like to not have them on my main app drive

The are generated in subfolder ShadowEditFiles in the location you have specified in the pref > File > Export folder: location.

Jeff
AirgunWeb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello all,

I wanted to let you know how things were going. My 12900K build hit a snag, nothing serious, just seem to have gotten a faulty NVME so I'm replacing it with a different drive and redoing the install. In the interim, I needed something that could get me by. I had an HP Omen 30L that I picked up from ebay without a graphics card. I was fortunate enough to get selected for a newegg shuffle and picked up a 3060TI, the original class card included with this system. I've updated the memory to 32 gb and was pleased to see that with the new bios, you can utilize XMP profiles for optimal performance. I share all this because the system has exceeded my expectations. Here are the specs

HP Omen 30L
Ryzen 7 5800X
32 GB XPG ram @ 3200
1TB Boot NVME
2TB Video Creation NVME
2TB Swap / Temp Drive
EVGA 3060 TI

I'm able to run multiple 4K track overlay PIP with image cutaways, etc. It's not quite as smooth as my i9 Macbook Pro was, but it's not bad either. Encoding a 17 minute project with the above features down to a 1080P mp4 video for upload, took about 12 minutes. I'm going to move the project to my 12th gen i9 once I get it fixed and re-render it for comparison. I'll update folks with the results.

Cheer
Rick
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just remember to be consistent so your tests mean something to you, one can:

1) GPU timeline decoding, CPU encoding
2) GPU encoding, CPU timeline decoding

or any cross combination of the above are possible. Often best to make setting changes, exit PD and restart or use hardware monitor to validate setting behavior and hardware observations are congruent for proper comparisons.

Jeff