Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why PD20 does not show sound waveform?
bjch512 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 21, 2021 23:32 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have a project that includes several sound tracks. One sound track does not show waveform (it just shows a straight line without waveform) but I can hear sound normally if I play this sound track. Other sound tracks in the same project show waveform okay. Not sure what could be missed for this sound track.

By the way, Preference -> "Show sound waveform in timeline" is enabled. Please see attached screenshot.

Thanks & regards,
Lee
[Thumb - no-waveform.jpg]
 Filename
no-waveform.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
218 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2022 17:58

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There may be an issue with the encoding on that specific clip and it would help to see the details. Use the MediaInfo online tool, drag your clip there then click on the Download MediaInfo Report button and attach it here

Also, what happens if you force PD to generate a waveform fo that clip? Use the right-click menu when you click on the timeline clip:

bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There may be an issue with the encoding on that specific clip and it would help to see the details. Use the MediaInfo online tool, drag your clip there then click on the Download MediaInfo Report button and attach it here

Also, what happens if you force PD to generate a waveform fo that clip? Use the right-click menu when you click on the timeline clip:

Attached please find the MediaInfo Report for the track with waveform issue.

By the way, after reboot and re-open the same project, the track (without waveform before reboot) displays waveform okay now. I'll try Regenerate Waveform next time if I see this issue again.

Thanks & regards,
Lee
 Filename
DSC_1618.MOV_MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
150 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I imagine the issue is with the "sowt" audio codec that's used in your clip. You'll probably have to transcode the clip using a free app like Handbrake or VirtualDub2 and choose AAC, AC3 or a more common form of PCM as the audio format.

You can also try downloading the free QTLite codec which supplants the no-longer-supported Apple QuickTime codec on Windows computers and see if that allows PD to correctly work with the existing audio track.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2022 00:17

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I have a project that includes several sound tracks. One sound track does not show waveform (it just shows a straight line without waveform) but I can hear sound normally if I play this sound track. Other sound tracks in the same project show waveform okay. Not sure what could be missed for this sound track.

By the way, Preference -> "Show sound waveform in timeline" is enabled. Please see attached screenshot.

Thanks & regards,
Lee

I assume you tried it, select audio in the timeline.
Tools button, choose, Audio Editor
Make a small adjustment to the volume or other
OK to close and return to PD
A new audio file in .WAV format has been superimposed on the timeline
It should solve your case.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2022 09:30

bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I imagine the issue is with the "sowt" audio codec that's used in your clip. You'll probably have to transcode the clip using a free app like Handbrake or VirtualDub2 and choose AAC, AC3 or a more common form of PCM as the audio format.

You can also try downloading the free QTLite codec which supplants the no-longer-supported Apple QuickTime codec on Windows computers and see if that allows PD to correctly work with the existing audio track.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give it a try when the issue occurs again.

Regards,
Lee
bjch512 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I assume you tried it, select audio in the timeline.
Tools button, choose, Audio Editor
Make a small adjustment to the volume or other
OK to close and return to PD
A new audio file in .WAV format has been superimposed on the timeline
It should solve your case.

I haven't tried this, but will try it next time when the issue happens again. This is the very first time I see this issue.

Thanks & regards,
Lee