Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crash when burning to folder
Aeromotive [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2009 15:54 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forums and I need some help. I already burned a project to my HDD and it worked.

Right now I'm trying to burn another project but I keep getting the following errors :

1) MotionMenuGeneratior (is there a typo in 'generatior'? lol) has stopped working. This message appears twice.

2) Burning unscuccessful :
Transcoding engine's front end stream error
Might be due to :
Broken or missing source file
Out of system memory

The burning never gets past 1% and maximum 2 minutes.

I know my specs are good enough :

ASUS Q45PRO, Q9550@stock, 8GB RAM, HD4870.

I also updated with the new patch and I keep getting the same error.
What's wrong?
If it is of any help, this is my first time using a custom-made DVD menu (downloaded from DirectorZone, then customized it).

Thanks!

PS : I also tried reducing speed to 4x, even if I'm burning to a folder.
EDIT : my goal is to burn AVCHD content on a DVD and watch it on my PS3. So I'm just selecting AVCHD DVD (4,7GB) , with the proper resolution (1920x1080).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 05. 2010 15:04

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi and welcome to the forum.

thank you for the way you presented the information.

It is a "Known issue" and has been reported to R&D and should be corrected in the next patch.

TEST:
open PD
from Sample files
Drag nature.mpg to the Video Track (VT)
Next place a Color board at the beginning of the VT
Next place the FADE transition between the two.
select Create Disc
Select Burn
Select Burn to Folder

Error message appears - eventually.

Workarounds:
1. remove transition
2. Produce project and bring back in.

Remember for another day:
Please use search to check issues out.
Please attach an image of the error message.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Quote: Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forums and I need some help. I already burned a project to my HDD and it worked.

Right now I'm trying to burn another project but I keep getting the following errors :

1) MotionMenuGeneratior (is there a typo in 'generatior'? lol) has stopped working. This message appears twice.

2) Burning unscuccessful :
Transcoding engine's front end stream error
Might be due to :
Broken or missing source file
Out of system memory

The burning never gets past 1% and maximum 2 minutes.

I know my specs are good enough :

ASUS Q45PRO, Q9550@stock, 8GB RAM, HD4870.

I also updated with the new patch and I keep getting the same error.
What's wrong?
If it is of any help, this is my first time using a custom-made DVD menu (downloaded from DirectorZone, then customized it).

Thanks!

PS : I also tried reducing speed to 4x, even if I'm burning to a folder.
EDIT : my goal is to burn AVCHD content on a DVD and watch it on my PS3. So I'm just selecting AVCHD DVD (4,7GB) , with the proper resolution (1920x1080).
[Thumb - sdukpd8-389.jpg]
 Filename
sdukpd8-389.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
error message
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2010 07:43

Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help Dafydd.

So what you say is
1) I should remove the first transition
2) Produce the project (not create a disc) without the first transition and black board
3) Start a new project with the video I just produced
4) Insert the black board and transition at the beginning
5) Burn to folder
6) It should work?

Thanks again!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
1) I should remove the first transition
Answer: that is one work around
2) Produce the project (not create a disc) without the first transition and black board
Answer: A more logical alternative workaround BUT you can leave the video as is without any alteration and select Produce.
3) Start a new project with the video I just produced
Answer: The method employed by pros is to edit small bits (and produce) and bring all back in to create a final video - so yes is my answer.
4) Insert the black board and transition at the beginning
Answer: What? No, I gave you a test which shows the replication or localisation of the issue!
5) Burn to folder
Answer: The issue is replicated in my test whether you burn to disc or folder - IT IS A TEST to show the replication and localisation of the issue.
6) It should work?
Answer: The issue/problem is a bug. It is due to be fixed in the next release.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2010 09:52

Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

thanks for the answer, but I think there was a misunderstanding. I thought I could do all the 6 steps I mentioned to make it work because I understood from your test procedure and from other threads that the problem was always with the first blackboard and transition, before the first scene. So if I remove it, I should be able to burn to the folder?

So I think I found out how to do it : keep everything as is, and just produce, then take the video produced and start a new project with it to insert chapters, and do the DVD menu. Would that work?

Also do you know if the new 'fix' is coming soon?

Thanks!

EDIT : all right so I tried producing the video twice, but it blocked at 63%, with CPU usage dropping from 90's to 10% or so. Something is clearly wrong.. PD is still responding, but everything stopped, even the time cursor is blocked at 16 minutes out of 25 minutes.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 06. 2010 14:33

glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd: Quote The method employed by pros is to edit small bits (and produce) and bring all back in to create a final video

This has intrigued me! Would you elucidate a bit for me? Do I trim/clip the video and add transitions and pips, etc in small chunks and then produce?

Not sure if I understand properly....

Cheers
Glyn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glyn,

Elude I will :
They seek him here,
They seek him there
Tippo typing with a screen
Till exasperated he lets go a scream!

Edit in smaller sections. Produce the various small sections. Finally bringing them all back in to create a finished project which can be burned to disc.

Why? It is less stressful to edit - you can concentrate on smaller editing sections/special effects gulp resources..
The PC doesn't struggle to retain a huge lump of data.
Bringing everything back in allows SVRT to function and retain quality with only the joined sections being rendered.
It quickens the process.
OK, I've had enough.... it's the method that has worked for me.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2010 10:27

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Glyn & Aeromotive -

I guess the important thing to understand about Dafydd's responses is his statement that "It is a known issue & will be fixed in the next patch."

The alternatives offered as workarounds are effective. Producing small sections & using those produced files to build the final video means PD & your PC have less load to carry in the end.

Here's an example you can skip over if you wish. Yesterday, I was making an extremely short video logo (about 5 seconds) to be used at the beginning of a series of productions. It incorporated 2 separate video clips, a title inserted as a graphic, fades to/from black at beginning and end, music & sound effects.

Here's the process I followed:
1. Trim clip 1... Produce file named "Logo1"
2. Apply colour saturation to "Logo1"... Produce file named "Logo2"
3. "Logo1" in main track - "Logo2" in PiP - edit to fade from original colour to saturated version... Produce to file name "Logo3"
4. Clip2 in main track - "Logo3" in PiP - apply chroma key... Produce to file named "Logo4"
5. "Logo4" in main track (apply fades to/from black) - Title in PiP (apply fades) - insert music & sound effects... Produce

When it's a longer or more complex production, the advantages of doing this are much greater. It decreases the load on PD & your PC... and the likelihood of errors! That's what Dafydd was talking about.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony,

But what if I already edited 25 minutes of footage? I guess that option becomes impossible?

And is it normal that PD also chokes at producing?!

Finally, do we have a slight idea about when this patch will be coming out? Weeks? Months?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony wouldn't know the answer.

The update is currently being tested.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Aeromotive [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well it's good to know I can produce in small lumps when I already edited a 25 minutes video. Guess I'll wait or just ask for my money back.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Aero -

What about Save As???

Take your 25 minute edited project. Let's say it's called "Aero_1".
Save it as "Aero_2".
In Aero_2, remove whatever you need in order to produce it successfully. As an example you might remove everything but the video/images etc in the main timeline... Produce
Now - lock all the other tracks & replace what was in the main video track with your newly produced file.
Depending on what other titles, PiPs, music you might have, you may now be able to Produce your video successfully.

It might take a few more Save As steps but it should get you out of your dilemma.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good one Tony.

To speed the "Save project as" option... or route, I use the keyboard shortcut of: Ctrl+Shift+S

Give it a try.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
I am in the same boat as Aero. I even upgrade to Patch 2220c but now I ge the Powerdirector has stopped working crash message in Vista 64.

I have an ASUS with AMD Phenom II x4 3.4GHz and 8GB RAM.
[Post New]
Eureka, I figure out a work around. I just convert my entire video to MPEG2 with no problems and then write down the Titles times I created and insert them into great big file I created. Go to Create Disc make my setting and select my DVD format and finally let it go, perfectly.

Only problem I have now is it will not use the SmartSounds I have purchased, so I just create a music score on the story board and Produce it and covert it to an .mp3 and it works.

Hope they fix this fast it will save alot of time.