Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Project has dissappeared!!!
[Post New]
Aghghgh! PD8 2220

Just looking at project in menu designer and POOF!!! Suddenly was staring at my desktop. Didn't try to preview--was just looking at screen. Was there then gone.

Worst part is that whole thing has disappeared from desktop where it was saved. So too the other versions of it I was working on today.

Opened PD8 to check "recent projects"....they are listed but I'm told "file not found".

Does anyone know where my project might be? Is there a ghost copy hidden within PD system files?

Thanks
Melissa in Maine

"Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Melissa,

Try the autosave folder. Its here on my system :-
D:\Documents and Settings\Adrian\Application Data\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\AutoSave

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Melissa

In windows goto normal desktop.
Click START in bottom left corner.
Select and click SEARCH
If using XP choose FILES or FOLDERS and then ALL FILES & FOLDERS
If using Vista you go straight to the search panel.
In the text box with flashing curser type *.pds
(That is the star on shifted 8 key then a full stop and PDS)
Click SEARCH
A list of all files with a pds extension should appear with their locations.

Hope this helps.

PatC
[Post New]
Heroes you both are!

Found autosave files....."curious" has to what happened but all I really care about now is getting this thing finished!

I owe you lobsters. Thanks!

Melissa in Maine "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
[Post New]
PS: PatC-

Tried the search function in Vista with a wildcard pds but it kept taking me to the web rather than searching within system.

Operator error no doubt.....thanks again.

Peace "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
[Post New]
OK---got excited and spoke too soon.

Lots of autosaved projects (usually when PD crashes, upon reopening it asks "want to try to open the last project?" and opens it as untitled blah, blah.

Anyway, in autosave folder are lots of the autosaved files....however, the ones that simply dissappeared when the running program disappeared are not there.

Guess I'll just take most recent autosave and start from there but it WOULD be nice to find out what the heck happened.

*PDS same thing....."oh where, oh where have my little PD files gone...?"

Color me completely confused....but determined. "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just in case you're using something flaky or your system is misbehaving - don't forget you can alter the autosave interval and location :-
Alt-C> Editing

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
minksy [Avatar]
Newbie Location: NSW Australia Joined: Aug 26, 2010 00:49 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone ! Powerdirector has just deleted all of my work that i have spent weeks on -im just devestated & have been crying i even saved it whilst working on my project but is no longer there - where is the autosave folder located that you mentioned !
Please help me
Pam
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Minsky,

On my computer the Auto Save folder is located here....yours should be similar if you haven't changed the default settings in Power Director Preference settings. Also it is a hidden folder so you will have to "show hidden folders" in order to see it.

C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\AutoSave\

If you have been working on your projects frequently, you should see lots of sequentialy saved files at 10 minute intervals.

As a side note....Power Director doesn't typically delete your work...but if you haven't saved it and it crashes for some reason then you will have to rely on a previously saved version of your project or an Auto Saved project. It is a good idea to "Save AS" with a NEW project name instead of just clicking "SAVE"....If for some reason you save a corrupted project file then you will not be able to go backwards easiy. But if you "SAVE AS", with a sequential project name...then you will find it easier and safer to revert back to an earlier project name.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2010 08:45

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
minksy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin !
Ive been looking everywhere for Powerdirector preference settings & cant seem to find where they are !
I'm sorry that i cant follow you im not very good at this. Im just still very upset ive been working on this project for a long time i get so far into the timeline like 1 hr 18mins & before it disappeared on me - said something about the memory not being enough - then it took the photos off of my titles - i thought something was strange then
Regards Pam
minksy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin
I have been saving it all the time as well as "save as" but both of my projects have gone
Pam