Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error message
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 12, 2007 09:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Help!! I get some wierd error message when i try to preview my movie.

Media Source Error
Power Director failed to construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit.

What is this? Im still on the trial version..
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Help!! I get some wierd error message when i try to preview my movie.

Media Source Error
Power Director failed to construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit.

What is this? Im still on the trial version..

Hi Richard,

I've seen this message before..... I've referred it to CL.

Dafydd
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks.
Richard [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any word?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

No not at the moment. I only saw the issue when in a different program. My first thought was you've got a corrupted program...and you may need to uninstall, download again and re-install.

Please check you have the latest DirectX.

I also suggest you contact Tech Support.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

What was the file format of the video you were trying to import?

Extension?

To see the extension please do this:
Open My Documents (any directory folder will do)
Select "Tools/Folder Options
Tab, "View"
Untick "Hide extensions for known file types"
Click OK

You will now see the extensions of all files. It is important as an editor to view all file extensions for video and images.... as well as other files on your computer.

Dafydd
Holz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2007 10:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i've just started having the same problem, though not with a trial version...mine is the full version...

and i've made loads of videos really recently, it just stopped working on either wednesday or thursday last! the same messae crops up

holz
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Holz, saw Rosie on the last posting....

Okay as i mentioned in the PM I did a bit of checking to see what the cause was on the message that you get.. I didn't want to make an error myself.

"This error means the user tries to import a file that PowerDirector
cannot recognize. This usually happens mostly on .avi extension, sometimes on .mpg/.mp4 extension. As we know, .avi or .mpg/.mp4 are all format containers, which wraps the actual encoded content. So if PDR accepts the file but cannot recognize the codec, this error will appear. The user may have imported an .avi that included a non-DivX, non-DV format. Download the Gspot tool to check to see if the proper codec is in the avi file. http://codeccorner.com/aj.html "

Dafydd
Holz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2007 10:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
thanks i'll try reconverting a couple!

the odd thing is that i'd already done 7 music videos using the same files...(obsession is not a pretty thing )before is decided to stop working...not in a row btw...over the past couple of weeks...

i've also asked for my software to be sent up from home so i'll deinstall and reinstall and let everyone know what works!

thanks so much for your help!

holz