Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 8 Audio Synch, "Link" option and Production Question
[Post New]
Vista 32 with plenty memory. 3 problems (one asked before but can't recall/find answer.) And yes, I've "searched" forum and watched vids.

1. Several vid clips, one after another. Audio is NOT split and mouths move in synch with the words they are saying. That is, until after a little vid clip with power tool applied to speed it up. After that, audio/video WITHIN vid clips (not split) is out of synch.....words not heard at the same time the mouths are speaking them. No way, without splitting, to tinker within a clip. Don't understand how the audio/video gets out of whack or how to fix it without splitting. Don't want to split because:

2. Tracks don't link! Edit "link all tracks" is ticked, yet any change to main track throws everything else out of place, necessitating re-positioning everything manually for each change (screws up timing of pics and music too.) What is the problem with this?

3. "Produced" the thing thinking the audio/vid problem was perhaps due to a "preview" issue. Not. And, produced to MPG which failed to produce any sound on windows media player, wouldn't play in ITunes.....converted it with converter software to mov file and then got sound.....but still is out of synch.

Long story but 100s of hours into this thing (much of it repositioning every little pip or sound effect or length of pics to songs due to inability to link all tracks to main track.........)

RECAP:
1. audio becomes out of synch within video (???) after a clip that has been speeded (sped?) up via Power Tools.

2. tracks do not link together causing major havoc with slightest change

3. no post production sound played with windows media player. Itunes wouldn't open file at all. Third party conversion made it playable which is how I know about continued audio synch problem.

Thank you, thank you, thank you if you have answers. Thank you just for reading this. Is it JUST ME?

Melissa in Maine
(gotta get this thing in the mail tomorrow morning!)

"Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
[Post New]
OK

Began to split vids and that fixes synch within the vid problem. Don't "get" why but it does.

If I can get production/no sound problem fixed, might be able to mail today!

Still would like to know about the track link problem as well as explanation of audio synch within a vid before splittlng.

Me Again in Maine "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Melissa -

Sorry your current experience isn't a happy one at all. I'm afraid I can't give you instant answers to resolve it.

When you link the tracks (checked in preferences), any change made in the main video track will affect the other tracks (at that point/area in the timeline). Trimming off a bit or adding transitions will cause "shortening of the related PIPs. Adding a clip or images will cause lengthening of clips.

When you're talking about "splitting", I guess you mean splitting the audio/video tracks, rather than splitting the whole track (akin to trimming).

Depending on the format of the video I'm making, I quite often lock the other tracks while I'm fiddling with the main video track. If adjustment is required later, I move all other elements (PiPs, music etc) as a block, by selecting them all first.

I really have no idea (just like you) why the audio is going out of sync when you apply Power Tools, unless you don't have the "stretch audio" option checked. I also don't know how PD managed to produce a video without sound.

I'm not sure if this is happening consistently for you (the out of sync problem). Pre-rendering each clip prior to any editing might alleviate this. Might.

This is a bit of a hair-brained suggestion but: what would happen if you took your produced (but soundless) file and used the split audio file from your project to re-combine them? I know it shouldn't be needed... just trying to get you the mailbox on time.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2009 13:06

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2009 19:29 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Maggie,

I have the same problem with voice out of sync. Mine occurs when video speed it changed or if different formats (Avi, Mpeg, MOV) are used on the same timeline.

I've seen a number of people complain about this but have yet to hear any real fix beyond breaking up your video into smaller chunks. I just decided to use music instead.
[Post New]
thanks for the help attempts. Nice to see it isn't just me....re: the audio sync being out of whack, its only for those clips after the clip in which I've used a power tool.

The clips themselves are trimmed, ready and lined up with pips and all that: then when I "sped" up one little clip (high speed effect necessary for this particular "piece" of vid)...well, that's when the audio within all vid clips that came after was thrown off.

Splitting each and every clip (grrrr...) does seem to solve it as some sort of Neanderthal workaround. Just splitting the audio from video. No adjustments once split....."just" splitting each and every little clip and voila: mouths actually move with words again.

Bill-maybe that would work for you too?

Yes, the tracks should all move at same time with that edit preference box ticked. Mine don't.....so say I add a few frames to a primary piece of vid or a pic: all pips/effects/particles and timing must then be adjusted to incorporate that little change. No clue as to why checking the box has no effect except that my download apparently has a mind of its own.

So too with the no sound/produce thing. Yet, converting the no sound Cyberlink product again yields a very nice piece except for the little audio syncs thing. Hopefully this splitting of audio from every bit of video will solve it so I can get it in mail.

Then......on to tech support. Like Ricky Ricardo used to say: "they got some 'splain'in to do!'.

Peace and thanks again.
Melissa in Maine "Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living"- Mother Jones