Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's up with this "you can only change you Region settings 5 times" ??!!!
Rosa Ana [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2007 16:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I got my laptop 2 years ago and travel a great deal. Usually I take my computer with me and use the DVD player to watch movies but to my surprise, last time I tried to watch a movie an error message told me that the region of the DVD playing was from Region 2 ( for the next 6 months I will be living in Germany) and the Power DVD could only play Region 1 DVD. That I could only change the regions 5 times and it was lock in region 1 ... for ever? I am living in Europe, (Region 2)how do I change the Region in my Power DVD?
Never got theWindows alert to let me now thatI had 1 change remaining to change the Regions.
I will assume this feature or limitation could apply for a desktop, usually you do not take them around the world.... but for a laptop to be restricted in such a way that I can not use my DVD player when ever I want it? When I got my laptop, 2 years ago, I had to pay extra to have this feature, to be able to watch DVDs where ever I went.
Interesting that he so called International software laws do nothing about all the Pirate programs and movies being sold freely and openly all over the world? but put such restrictions for paying customers? It has to be another way... really...I do need to change the region in my Power DVD. Any help here?

Thank you.

Rosana
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rosana,

The 5 time change region limitation is standard for all DVD players, implemented by the movie studios. Looks like all new DVD players don't really have it anymore, which doesn't help you will your current situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_regions

Try search the Internet for a program that will make your DVD player "region free". I know they are out there...are so I heard...ahem.