Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does your About--Upgrade button crash PD8?
[Post New]
I've been dialoging with support, but am wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the About Dialog?

If I press "PowerDirector" or "Chair"--Help--About, then press the Upgrade button, the about dialog goes away, PD8 locks up for a minute or two then exits.

If instead of the Upgrade button, I press close and then try to reopen the About Dialog a second time, PD8 locks up and then exits.

If instead of the Upgrade button, I press close, and then click the open project icon, the project file browse dialog appears, and clicking cancel causes PD8 to freeze and then exit.

I uninstalled my DVD+build2220 patch version, cleaned the registry, rebooted, and installed from the 2220c+content downloads - same behavior.

Anyone else seeing this error?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2009 21:43

P4 2.4GHz 2GB Nvidia Geforce 6200, PwrDir8Ultra Panasonic DMC-ZS3 (TZ7 Europe) 720p AVCHD lite (frame doubled) TivoHD wireless pull from pyTivo on PC, 2001 Panasonic 34" tube 1080i HDTV
GEAtkins [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 15:38 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
As a matter of fact, it does.

Hmm??

Glenn
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
With 2220 my "About" button would freeze and I would have to force quit the program. I just uninstalled and went back to 1930 for other reasons. I'll probably stay with that unless I find some major issue. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gentlemen -

Though I'd never checked before, I can partly confirm what Alan said.

At the About Dialogue - clicked Upgrade - About Dialogue vanishes - further Upgrade/Update Dialogue opens (but under the PD workspace Window)... minimised to see dialogue - clicked cancel (I wanted to do neither)... then PD froze > off to Task Manager.

I would have thought any new dialogue box would appear on top.

Clicking Close in the About Dialogue does as expected. PD didn't freeze or exit.

It's a strange one.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2009 00:41

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2009 11:20 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
To confirm your findings, it does happen to me also. -------------------------------------------------------
My System Information:
-------------------------------------------------------

System : HP Pavilion Elite e9280t | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz | RAM: 9GB | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 | HDD: Seagate 1TB | Sound: Integrated Realtek 7.1 Channel sound | DirectX Version: 11
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
All I have to do to crash PD8 Build 2220c, is open the "about" window. I only clicked "close" and did not click on upgrade.

If I then avoid going back to the Directors Chair, I am able to continue to visit the various rooms, ie. Media, Effects, Transition, etc.

I am not able to import any clips, as the menu opens, but then locks up. Task Manager is required to shut it down.

EDIT: PROBLEM VANISHES Now 2 minutes later, everything works just fine. I open the "about" window and can open the "upgrade" window, with no problem. No crashing what so ever. hmmmmmm!!!

What was going on at Cyberlink during this time? Doesn't clicking on the upgrade button cause some kind of connectionn being made and that might have caused the problem? And then it was corrected and the problem vanished?

Just my observations.

Kevin

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2009 13:09

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Regret to inform you all, I don't have a problem. My upgrade button is greyed out and PD seems to behave as well as can be expected.

I think I must be 'the special one'

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian -

My shrink used to quite often suggest that I try to reframe things. We could look at it as PowerDirector is full of wonderful surprises!

I wonder if there's some obscure link between this and the infamous missing colour board???

Cheers - Tony
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
It's not an obscure link - I take it as confirmation that I am the special one. Well that's what I think anyway.

Alternatively, it's Christmas and this is PD's present to me.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
[Post New]
THAT, my friend, was never in any doubt!
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
My results same as Jaime, ver 2220 upgrade had real problems for me and also the CL supplied 2220c version was the same.
Now running my original ver 8.00.1930 from retail disc works fine, however "upgrade window" just appears and only responds to "cancel".
Fine by me, I don't need updates that take away program functionality.

PatC