Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
LAPTOP USERS – POWERDIRECTOR 8
Stephen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2009 07:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, laptop users. I’m new to this application and also working on laptops. I want to use a laptop for the portability etc. Can anyone advise me on the suitability of the following specification of a laptop in order to edit video using PowerDirector 8. Will it run like a dream?

LAPTOP:
Intel® Core™2 Duo P7450, 2.13 GHz, Front Side Bus : 066 MHz, 2nd level cache : 3 MB
Memory: 4,096 MB
Hard Disk: 500 GB, drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

I guess my main concern is the rpm of the hard disc. I realise laptops are not great for “top end” professional video editing but would the above be man enough for the job? (ie. work without any significant performance issues)

Or should I go for a desktop?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks in anticipation.

Steve.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephen,
I have been using a Toshiba laptop for 3 years without anything to blame on PD. Well, more specifically, PD8, 7 had it's issues.
I have C2D Centrino 1.6/1.6 and 3 megs ram.
5400rpm.
My preview can be choppy, and I cannot do HD video, except in tiny bits.
SD video, no problem at all. I have made hundreds of videos and you should have no issues in SD.
You get more bang-for-the-buck with a desktop, and you can upgrade it, but you can't lay in bed with a desktop.

I am just now shopping for a new machine and I am
going with a Quad core or I7 with 7200 rpm and a dedicated video card.
If you can afford it, get a laptop with those things, the future is in HD.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GEAtkins [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 15:38 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PD8 on a Dell Studio 1737 with a Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.66GHz, 6MB L2 cache, Vista Ultimate 32 bit, 4GB of RAM, an ATI Mobility Radeon 3650, and a 7,200RPM HD with no issues.

Glenn

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2009 12:17

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I was concerned about the memory, but should be fine for standard definition with that much. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM