Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Making a bootable CD
Carl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 12, 2007 14:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
How do I make a bootable CD with Power2Go?I t asks for a bootable floppy or a boot image. I tried the bootable floppy: it only gives me a DOS boot to the A: drive. Where do I get the appropriate boot image file for XP Mediat Center?
Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2007 19:22 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
What Power2go is asking for is a boot image that it will use to create the bootable CD. To do that, you can supply it with one using a floppy disk.

1. Place blank good 3.5" diskette in the computer.
2. Open My Computer, right click the A: drive and click Format.
3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
4. Click Start

This floppy disk you just created will be the "boot image" that Power2go asks for. You may have to "indicate" with the Power2go options, where you have the floppy loaded.

One confusing thing to many people is that when you use a boot floppy image to create a bootable CD and boot up using that CD, you emulate the floppy drive (usually drive A). That means that the computer thinks that it has been booted up by a floppy disk.

So, that's why it starts out with the A: prompt.

Carl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 12, 2007 14:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice.

When I do this I do get an A: prompt. How do I run the CD software? The system doesn't seem to recognize any drive but the A: drive.

Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2007 19:22 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
What exactly are you trying to do? What program? Why the boot disc?