Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Movie not detecting clips on the timeline.
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2009 11:20 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I captured my video from my DV camcorder and selected the option "Detect scene after capture". After it finished the capture, it comes up with the screen that allows me to detect scenes.

When I go to Edit mode. I only see 1 clip (the whole video) and I have to right click and select detect scenes again to separate the clips.

After the clips are separated, I chose a few clips and put it on the timeline. I then run Magic Movie and select from "Timeline". The Magic scene does it analysis then produce the movie based on the original file not on the scenes I selected and placed on the timeline.

When I do my own editing, it picks whatever is on the timeline but Magic Movie does its editing on the original file.

Anyone have this problems?
-------------------------------------------------------
My System Information:

System : HP Pavilion Elite e9280t | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz | RAM: 9GB | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 | HDD: Seagate 1TB | Sound: Integrated Realtek 7.1 Channel sound | DirectX Version: 11
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,

Sorry that you are having troubles, let's see if we can pinpoint the problem.

When I captured a 19 minute 11 second video and I also selected "Detect Scenes after Capture." When you have the clip in the Media Room and you Right Click on it is there an option that says "View Scenes"? You shouldn't have to detect scenes all over again.

My 19 minute and 11 second test video came up with 15 scenes that were detected. I selected 6 of them and put them on the Timeline. The total duration of these was 2:57.

I selected the Magic Movie Wizard, selected the Sports Template, selected TIMELINE, imported my own song that was 3:44 seconds long, selected "FIT DURATION TO BACKGROUND MUSIC, and it then produced a video using only the segments that were in the TIMELINE. It created a video exactly the length of my song. I wonder if this might have been the difference? I didn't see any reference in your question regarding what music, if any, was applied to your video.

In my video it actually repeated some of the video to match the longer length of the Music.

Did any of this help you? If not could you tell me what choices you made regarding the music choices during the Magic Movie setup.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2009 21:13

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I did similar procedure to your instruction both using my own song and letting Magic Movie use it's own. I was actually doing detect scenes again before but this time I did a view scenes but still get similar error.

I did the whole process again this time following your steps. I captured a 8 minutes 20 second video and selected "Detect Scenes after Capture". When I have the clip on the media room I selected "View Scenes".

My 8 minutes 20 second video produces 14 scenes. I selected 4 scenes and put them in the timeline. Total video lenght on the timeline is 3:20.

I selected Magic Movie wizard and selected sports template, selected "Timeline", this time I imported my own song that was also 3:20, when I click next it goes to Step 4 "Specify the movie duration. New Duration shows 00:11:09:23 Original Duration shows 00:33:29:10. (Odd numbers compare to what I have on my clip. I clicked on "Fit Duration to Background Music. THe number changes to the following... New Duration: 00:03:20:17 and Original Duration: 00:33:29:10 (hmm. another odd number). I clicked on next to produce the video. Result: It still produces the video that includes those that are not in the timeline.

I'm 100% sure that it included the ones that are not on the timeline as the test video that I captured contains 3 major scene. 1st scene is my 2 year old daughter dancing by the Chrismas tree. 2nd scene is my 2 year old and 8 month old having dinner and the 3rd scene is my 2 kids playing in the room. For this test, I selected scene 2 and scene 3 to be on the timeline but the movie produced by Magic Movie starts with the first scene and it includes all 3 major scene.

I was expecting to see what you have experienced but it is not happening on my end.

I have removed and installed this product 2 times already as instructed by tech support to also try to solved the transision issue (Frame freezing after transition) but still the same.

I'm lost

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2009 02:13

My System Information:

System : HP Pavilion Elite e9280t | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz | RAM: 9GB | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 | HDD: Seagate 1TB | Sound: Integrated Realtek 7.1 Channel sound | DirectX Version: 11
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,

You're not lost if we both feel lost, at least that's what I think!! I'll find a map and then....

I could visualize every step you took as I read your response. I was really excited, sitting on the edge of my seat!! Come on Christopher(my brothers name too) lets have it work!!

Those odd numbers you mentioned, I get those too, amd I have no idea how those times are generated. They make no sense, until someone explains it and then I will understand. That's why I was thinking it might be related to the music duration or something.

Then you added your song just like me, and your time changed and then.....it didn't work!! How frustrating!

I don't have an answer Christopher. Someone else may read this and offer some insight. Thanks for responding in such detail.

My last question is: What version of the software are you using? That could be the key to the solution.

Directors Chair<Help><About Cyberlink Power Director - you'll find the version there.

Hang in there!!

Kevin>
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I'm using PowerDirector 8 Ultra. Build 8.00.2220c. I purchased it online 2 weeks ago.

Chris

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2009 02:17

My System Information:

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Christopher,

You have the latest version! Woo! Hoo!

I sent you a P.M.

Kevin
bigdog001 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2010 17:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I captured my video from my DV camcorder and selected the option "Detect scene after capture". After it finished the capture, it comes up with the screen that allows me to detect scenes.

When I go to Edit mode. I only see 1 clip (the whole video) and I have to right click and select detect scenes again to separate the clips.

After the clips are separated, I chose a few clips and put it on the timeline. I then run Magic Movie and select from "Timeline". The Magic scene does it analysis then produce the movie based on the original file not on the scenes I selected and placed on the timeline.

When I do my own editing, it picks whatever is on the timeline but Magic Movie does its editing on the original file.

Anyone have this problems?

Christopher, did you find an answer to your problem? I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM... same version too, purchased online yesterday. I am hoping that you have the answer asap.
thanks,
Linda
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Hey, everybody check your update.

The current build of Power Director is 3022.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bigdog001 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2010 17:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hey, everybody check your update.

The current build of Power Director is 3022.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

thanks Carl,

the download was 3022 but just in case, I downloaded the update from the url listed in your message - still no success! The movie wizard makes the movie but it is of the entire clip, not just the selected scenes. Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Linda
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
In trying to replicate Christopher's original problem - & Kevin's steps - I repeatedly got the same outcome.

Test 1:
Import captured video > detect scenes
Insert selected scenes in timeline
Go through Magic Movie steps, selecting Timeline - also tried Selected Items
Outcome:
Produced file included scenes from original video in Media Library (as Christopher & Linda found)
Totally irrelevant duration numbers (as Christopher & Kevin said)
N.B. This test was repeated a number of times using different scenes & templates - same result.

Test 2:
Import (non captured) video clip - .mts file - insert in timeline
Split clip & remove second half
Import images - insert in timeline
Go through Magic Movie steps, selecting "Timeline"
Outcome:
Produced file included sections of original video in Media Library - that had been removed from timeline

I cannot explain why it's behaving this way, but I did trick Magic Movie into doing what it said it would do!

In both tests above, after inserting clips/images in the timeline, I
1. produced it as a video file (only the parts I wanted in the Magic Movie thing)
2. inserted the produced file in the timeline
3. removed everything else from the media library

Then, Magic Movie used only media from the timeline. No - agreed - this shouldn't be necessary, but it got a result.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2010 00:14

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Dear All,

Magic Movie uses the source clips when creating movies. So if you drag clips to the timeline and trim them, split them, etc. PowerDirector ignores the edits and uses the entire source clips.

The same behaviour happens if you detect scenes on a clip in the library as well. The scenes are not extracted from the clip, just marked on the source clip.

Regards,
David
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the input David -

I understand what you mean, but the User's Guide/Help File would lead PD users to think otherwise.

Magic Movie Wizard
Note: the Magic Movie Wizard provides the option of using all the media in the Media Library, all the media currently in the workspace or all currently selected media. If you only want to use a specific number of clips, select the clips you want to use before you begin.

So - it doesn't apply to edited clips or scenes detected from captured video. The question comes up from time to time - that's good to know.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!