Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 moved to Win 7 and now produce fails
glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

when we were running on XP we would produce first and then burn which is great as we can then burn again without waiting for the produce to run.

I moved the platform to Win 7 64 bit and now the only way to burn is to do the whole thing at once. In other words, if I try to produce it looks like it works ok but when I play it on any (2 anyway) video machine, the first chapter will not play. On a computer, it does. This is consistent across a number of attempts with different projects.

Not sue why on earth this should happen, any takers?

Is there any logging that would give us a clue?

Cheers
Glyn
Jerry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2009 09:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Similar thing has happened to me. Now all of a sudden PD8 crashes when I hit the Start button in the Produce tab. Strangely enough, it does okay if I start up in Safe Mode. I suspect that it had something to do with a Windows update but I can't narrow it down.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Glyn & Jerry -

Mysteries are annoying, aren't they? There's nothing I can see in either of your posts that indicates a clue to a solution.

If you could describe (step by step) what happened, that might help.

Produce = render video to a file. Burn = copy file to DVD. Interchanging these terms causes confusion.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DAVID [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2009 17:41 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having similar issues. I have powerdirector 9 on windows 7 home premium 64bit. I can produce without problem. When I try to burn it to disk, it runs a few seconds, stops responding, and finally comes up with an error that says my file is corrupted or I don't have enough memory.

I have run through produce a half dozen times or more, using various formats, but get the same results every time. I can take the file created by the produce, and use Nero Vision to burn it to disk. I have done that with a couple of different formats, Nero doesn't have a problem with the file.

I have 12gig of RAM (this is 64bit), so I doubt that I am running out of memory. My guess is a compatibility issue. Since opening a case just gets somebody that knows nothing beyond reinstalling, I hope somebody here has a better answer.

I should have sprung for Adobe Premier, at least it is made in this country.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

Similarities:
1. Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Differences:
1. Core i7 machine (not sure about yours)
2. Only 8MB RAM
3. No burning issues.
4. Adobe Premier didn't make my short list
5. Less concerned about country of origin
6. Only got PD8 (where'd ya get PD9?)

I'm not sure about the compatibility issue. What are the details of the file causing the error message? Describing the problem fully might allow people to give a better response than uninstall & reinstall.

Cheers - Tony

glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

After editing my video clips I produce the file using MPEG2. I save the file Produce.mpg in a seperate directory. Once this is finished I close Powerdirector and restart it again. I then start a new project and import the Produce.mpg. I add my Five chapters and go to the Create Disk option. Here I select my menu and select the High Quality Option only. I then start burning the disk and the only change I make is to slow the burning speed down to the lowest possible ( in this case 4).

Two problems with doing it this way. It skips the first chapter when playing on a DVD Player but it seems fine on the computer. Also my sound seems to fade in and out. (The sound is fine on the computer while editing and on the original video clips)

When I skip the Produce step and only do the Create Disc where I then select to write to a folder the finished DVD seems fine in that all the chapters play. However the sound still fades in and out. (The sound is important as we are producing training DVD's)

We moved to Win 7 as Powerdirector was extremely slow and crashed constantly on XP.

Any Ideas as to how we can fix this

Tilly ( on behalf of Glyn)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Tilly and Glyn -

I don't know why you're getting discs that aren't functioning properly... slowing the burning speed would typically help!

In method 1 (Produce then burn), the disc plays OK on the PC but not in the DVD player... sound and chapter skip.

In method 2 (burn from DVD folder), there is still the sound issue. In this case, were you burning the disc from PowerDirector?

I've not had the same issue here, burning by either method.

One thing to try would be (unless you've done this already) to burn the disc from dedicated burn software like Power2Go, imgburn & a host of others. If you need the links just say.

The issue is either PD, the disc burner (hardware), the discs, the audio files or the DVD player. That narrows it down.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2009 03:08