Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Error Message 1402
JOHN Z. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: John Joined: Dec 10, 2009 21:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Dowloaded PowerDVD 9 and cannot download any of the patches. At the very end it blocks and gives me an Error Message of 1402. Anyone seen this issue yet. I have Windows 7. Thanks Appreciate the Tech Knowledge.
JEFF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2009 16:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting the same message: "error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\95993bb6958792283a526b94b78cf2f9\a7802c820477af4fb52e6750539f0cd. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I tried running as administrator, to no avail. I have gotten absolutely NO support from Technical Support. May be someone can help on the forum. I need the patch to use the software with DTS Master HD audio with my ATI Radeon 5700 card.

I am running Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2009 17:05

JAC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2009 14:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Exactly the same problem for me.
I'm running Windows 7 64 too.
Any solution ?
Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2009 23:47 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same here. All Tech support tells me is to uninstall and reinstall..still nothing. 1402 is really a key permissions issue--of course, this key doesn't exist in the registry...hate paying for such a touchy product. They should test their software more effectively..I guess we're testing it for them.
Thor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2009 08:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Same here. I have tried to uninstall/reinstall Powerdvd 9.0 and apply the patch again. Keep getting error 1402 (the key exists in the register but I cannot change permission). This happend on my ASROCK HTPC (ION 330) running 64bit Windows 7. I tried the same program on a Gigabyte motherboard running 32bit Windows 7. In this case everything installed perfectly. Consequently, I suspect this to be a 64 bit issue
irish003 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 15:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting the same Error 1402 when I attempt to install the latest update for PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my Windows 7 64-bit system. Tech support has been totally useless! I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times that my head is about to spin. At the suggestion of Tech support, I have downloaded and installed the Microsoft Cleanup Tool and ran it to unistall PowerDVD a couple times and then used regedit to edit the registry to remove many different entries. I even purchased a registry cleaner in the hope I might get lucky and find it was a registry error, but that proved to be a wasted purchase. At this point, I don't know what to do. I have tried over 6 different suggestions from Tech support and nothing has worked. I actually believe Cyberlink has no idea of what is causing the problem.
Sukach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2006 20:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The error code I get is 1603 ("Fatal error"). The HKLM entry above is only the first that I've encountered as I've tried to work my way through this problem installing build 2320. The key is located here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\95993B6958792283A526B94B781CF2F9\A78702C820477AF4FB52E6750539F0CD.

However, after setting the permissions for that key, a second registry error followed by a series of the same kept occuring--all different reg entries in the same hive.

So far, I've got 7 keys for which I've corrected the permissions...and I still encountering the same error each time I run the install. Not sure how many keys I have to reset...but will keep going to see what happens.

Running Win7 Ultimate x64.
[Thumb - Capture3.PNG]
 Filename
Capture3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
180 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture2.PNG]
 Filename
Capture2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
154 time(s)
Sukach [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2006 20:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just a follow up to my OP...resetting the permissions for the reg keys worked--build 2320a is running. I worked through about 10 reg entries...w/each error, I went back into the registry and corrected the permission for that failed key. Note, to make the process a little quicker, I searched on the "ComponentVersion" string, 100.0.0.0, in the subkeys to go corrected some of the permissions.

I didn't intend on posting anything so I didn't keep track of the keys as I went along...however, all the keys I corrected had subkeys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\....

It took about 25 min to work through the whole process. I can't directly attribute the problem to Cyberlink but can't locate any other cause outside of a "buggy" upgrade/patch.

I'm sending this solution to Cyberlink but don't recommend it for those who are uncomfortable w/editing the registry.
CLAYTON [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2010 14:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This is the only help I have found that actually solves the problem! I had to find a way to run regedit as administrator (system acct) and there is a freely available program called PSexec.exe from Microsoft/winternals. Once I was able to change permissions on the registry, I searched for the subkey value, the guid a7802c820477af4fb52e6750539f0cd. Everywhere I found this and found an expandable key, ie a triangle to the left of the parent key, I right-clicked on the parent key and gave full permissions to that key and subkeys. There were probably 30 all total. Each one referenced a codec or activex component used by a codec. After doing this, the update worked as expected.

The cause of this problem - TrustedInstaller acct can add and delete keys for hardware devices, and codec components are virtual hardware devices. They abstract hardware functionality that may be handled by any number of real hardware devices, ie nvidia, ati, intel. Cyberlink's dev team is attempting to UPDATE key/values with the TrustedInstaller acct when all this account can do is delete or add. So it should be deleted, then re-added ONLY if a value needs changing. It appears to me that all the values STAYED THE SAME so this means that, not only is the update to the key unnecessary, the update will never work on Vista or Win7, only on XP under an admin account.

CHRISTIAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2010 14:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem. I can install an patch due to the Regestry-Key Problem. The sometime suggested "uninstall"-solution discribed here does not help:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6789&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1

Running Windows 7 64-bit

Power DVD 9 Ultra as Upgrade from Version 8

Since I can not update the software Avatar Blu-Ray wont play. This is really annoying!

@CLAYTON: Can you discribe in more detail how you used PSexec.exe to solve the problem?

CLAYTON [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2010 14:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx

The following command line will open a "system" regedit:

psexec -s -i regedit

Note: You have to execute this command line from an "administrator" command prompt (right-click command prompt and click run as administrator). I just created a desktop shortcut and set it to run as administrator.
CHRISTIAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2010 14:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
@CLAYTON: Thanks for the explanation but this to much tweaking for my liking. So I did not try it.

I opened a Support Ticket and the customer service was able to help me by providing a different installation-file (I only had an Upgrade-file from Version . After uninstalling Power DVD 9 and installing the new version I can now again view current Blu-Rays.