Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frame Freeze after a transition or at the start of a video effect.
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2009 11:20 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a new Power Director User. I have PD8 Ultra and are currently having problem on transitions when previewing. The frame freeze during a transition or at the start of a video effect but the audio continues to play.

The problem is intermittent. It works well on some transition but would stop on other. Right now, the workaround I have for transition problem was to change the transition. For the Video effect problem, the work around that I have found is to move the video effect a second or more after or before the transition or a video clip. If it start at the same time with the video clip, the frame will stop.

I have remove and re-installed PD8 and also change the virtual memory size as specified by the tech support but the problem is still the same.

Have you experienced this type of problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

Thanks! -------------------------------------------------------
My System Information:
-------------------------------------------------------

System : HP Pavilion Elite e9280t | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz | RAM: 9GB | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 | HDD: Seagate 1TB | Sound: Integrated Realtek 7.1 Channel sound | DirectX Version: 11
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher -

Have you tried producing the file to see whether the frozen transition persists? It could just be occurring in the Preview Screen.

Have you tried changing your preview screen quality setting to Normal to see whether that affects it?

Can you provide details of your graphics card and the format/profile of the original clips?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2009 15:16

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony, thanks for taking time to respond. Below are the answers to your questions.

Q1. Have you tried producing the file to see whether the frozen transition persists? It could just be occurring in the Preview Screen.

A1. Yes, the project renders successfully and burned to DVD however, I noticed that the video flickers or have lines after some transition on the finished product. The flicker seems to appear on the part where it froze on during the preview mode.

Q2. Have you tried changing your preview screen quality setting to Normal to see whether that affects it?

A2. Yes I tried all preview quality from low to high resolution. The problem is still the same.

Q3. Can you provide details of your graphics card and the format/profile of the original clips?

A3. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4650. The video card is listed on the compatible video card list for PD8. Original Clip was from a DV camcorder and I chose DVD HQ during capture. Is there a better format I can use other than DVD HQ?

Additional Note:

I have also tried checking and unchecking and ATI stream but was still the same.

My System Information:

System : HP Pavilion Elite e9280t | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz | RAM: 9GB | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 | HDD: Seagate 1TB | Sound: Integrated Realtek 7.1 Channel sound | DirectX Version: 11
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried installing the PowerDirector 8 Ultra on my old Pentium 4 Laptop with Windows XP, 2 Gb RAM, 2.4 Ghz CPU, built in ATI Video and built in audio.

I used the same clips and did the same procedure. This time the video only stops for a split second on the transition but continues to play. This is a machine that is a lot older than my Core i7.

I'm wondering now, what could be causing this issue on a more powerful machine. Could it be the Video Card that is on their compatible list?

I read some posts on regarding transition problem and noticed that the poster also have an ATI Radeon HD 4650.

If you have the same Video Card, let me know what your experience is. -------------------------------------------------------
My System Information:

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher, PD8 is having trouble with i7 cpu's. I can only produce my complicated videos with my i7 cpu by using the 2 cores work around. Cyberlink are working on it but I have not heard back yet on a solution.

Whether or not your problems are because of the i7 cpu or your video card I don't know. I had a lot of problems with PD7 with transitions and I think PD8 still has some problems processing transitions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2009 17:40

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Christopher, PD8 is having trouble with i7 cpu's. I can only produce my complicated videos with my i7 cpu by using the 2 cores work around. Cyberlink are working on it but I have not heard back yet on a solution.

Whether or not your problems are because of the i7 cpu or your video card I don't know. I had a lot of problems with PD7 with transitions and I think PD8 still has some problems processing transitions.

Hi Robert, Thanks for the reply. Can you share to me what is the 2 Cores workaround?

Thanks! -------------------------------------------------------
My System Information:

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,

As you know the i7CPU has 8 cores. Cyberlink gave me the work around of cutting back the CPU to 2 cores to get my production done.

Here are the instructions.

START>RUN>type msconfig hit enter>click on "Boot">Advanced Options>Place Tick in Number of Processors and choose 2> reboot.

Cheers

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2009 06:21

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Christopher,

As you know the i7CPU has 8 cores. Cyberlink gave me the work around of cutting back the CPU to 2 cores to get my production done.

Here are the instructions.

START>RUN>type msconfig hit enter>click on "Boot">Advanced Options>Place Tick in Number of Processors and choose 2> reboot.

Cheers

Robert

Hi Robert,

I just tried your procedure and it works for me. I tried 2 cores and 4 cores and no more frame freeze. I just noticed that on a 4 core, it stops for a split second during the transitions that usually freeze when I have all 8 cores available. In 2 Core, everything runs smoothly.

This seem backward. I just purchased this machine mainly for video editing and I have to scale it down to 2 or 4 core to make it work. I hope that Cyberlink is working on this problem.

Thanks!

Chris

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2009 02:41

My System Information:

Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,

Glad it worked for you. To save you a lot of work I did much testing with cores higher than 2 and found out if I wanted to save my sanity I had to stick with 2 cores. If I went over 2 cores it was all over the place, working sometimes not others.

Regarding Cyberlink working on it, they have been for a while, I have a request with them at the moment asking how it is going and when I might be be able to use the full power of my CPU.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher -

You're not alone. Robert's been asking the question with CL for some time... and there are a few other i7 people whose belly buttons are puckering with anticipation of a positive response.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Christopher -

You're not alone. Robert's been asking the question with CL for some time... and there are a few other i7 people whose belly buttons are puckering with anticipation of a positive response.

Cheers - Tony

Good to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. I hope that Cyberlink is close to fixing this problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2009 11:21

My System Information: