Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
overwrote teh pds file with the production file
glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Did a really stupid thing!! finished editing a 50 min video with lots of pips, transitions etc which took 4 days of work. produced it and then saved the file and overwrote the pds file.

Is there ANYWAY to convert it back to pds?

Someone please say yes......

TIA
Glyn
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What file did you save over the PDS file? The produced video? The video and project are different types of files and should not overwrite each other. Are you sure it is not just somewhere else on your computer? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
glynd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2009 07:50 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it was the production file and yes I am aware that they are different types of files and shouldn't be mixed, BUT, I am human and I made a mistake ;-(.

In any event I found out afterwards that the auto backup was working and after viewing hidden files, I found it, so nothing was actually lost.

Cheers
Glyn
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
For the future, if you are on Vista or Win7, generations of old files can be recovered using the operating system and may help get an overwritten file back. Old copies of changed files are known as, "Previous Versions". Simply go to the properties of an overwritten file and choose the 'previous versions' tab and select the file you want to restore.

Many people forget this feature is there and can save a lot of heartache. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
cohenner [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Baltimore, MD Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:07 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I would look again. I don't believe that the video could have possibly been overwritten. Reason being:

When you save a working file, it saves as a .pds file. When you produce the file, it saves it as a a .mpg, .avi, etc. The computer cannot and will not overwrite the original file....

David David Cohen
Presented For You!
Analog > Digital Conversions & Video Editing
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you OTW - your technical knowledge shines through again. I was blissfully unaware of that feature of Win 7... still - I've never needed it either.

Mark - I'm with you. It is just not possible to overwrite a .pds file with a .mpeg, .avi or any other video file. Naturally, if Glynd saved the project after producing, THAT would have overwritten the previous .pds file.

There may be some confusion of terms here.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2009 21:48

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!