Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Beginner's Question (Pls Help)
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Nov 24, 2009 17:04 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I just started using PD8 and am abit disappointed at the quality of pictures and videos in the preview window.

Pls let me elaborate. I have taken pictures and videos of my Mom's 70th birthday on Saturday. The pictures are fantastic as I am a hobbyiest photographer. Videos are ok when viewded through the LCD via the JVC Enverio HDD recorder.

I imported all the pictures and videos. I drag them into the storyboard so i have pictures 1st then the videos in this project. In the Edit room and the Production room, when I view the pics and videos, the pictures are blurry and colours are washed out and so are the videos. I am hoping this is just the quality of the previews but not any indication of how my final results will be. I've searched around but I cannot find the answer.

I too would to know how to I trim or adjust a track to sync with the picture slideshow only. I had a read of the manual and it's quite unclear.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks & Rgds
Patrick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2009 17:17

OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Common question.

You can adjust the preview quality using one of the buttons under the preview window. Its a rectangle with a solid rectangle inside it.

check it out. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Nov 24, 2009 17:04 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Common question.

You can adjust the preview quality using one of the buttons under the preview window. Its a rectangle with a solid rectangle inside it.

check it out.

Thank You.

I'll check it out tonight.

Rgds
Patrick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 24. 2009 17:51

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

How do I trim or adjust a track to match only the 17 pictures I have prior to the video?

Rgds
Pat
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Patrick,

I am glad you came to visit this forum as well. I think you will find that it is a bit more focused and you will find lots of experienced users of Power Director that can offer you tips and answers to questions.

Now my attempt at an answer to your question:

How do I trim or adjust a track to match only the 17 pictures I have prior to the video?

Method 1.

Lets say you have set a 4 second duration for each picture giving you a total of 68 seconds. If you want something exact, select the MAGIC MUSIC icon to the left of the timeline. Browse through the STYLES of music, and keep in mind that only the songs that are displayed in BOLD can be modified in length. The others are merely samples that you could purchase if you like them. Enter in the DURATION, your time....1 minute and 8 seconds. Now you can DRAG the song variation to the MUSIC track and it will fit exactly to your pictures.

Method 2.

You could import your own music...mp3 as an example and place it onto the Music track and use AUDIO MIXING ROOM to adjust the sound. Notice when you open this...that the MUSIC track has a slider to control the volume. Or you can selct the FADE IN and/or FADE -OUT buttons to make it sound more fluid.

See if either of these works for you....and don't forget to take a look at www.freeplaymusic.com , it has a wide selection of music. Many songs have 10 second,30 second, 1 minute, etc. variations. So you can download the length you need and then make slight adjustment to your picture duration to match the song!!

I hope this helps you out some....others may offer you their ideas as well!!

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Patrick -

I won't add anything to Kevin's suggestions, which are well worth following up... except to say that... one option I have used (at times when the length of the audio track is fairly close to the length of the slide show) is to:

1. Make the slide show and produce it (without audio)
2. Import the audio track
3. Ditch the slide show & place the produced file in the timeline.
4. Adjust the speed of the slide show (which is now a video) to the exact length of the music.

Re: picture quality - even at high quality, the preview screen will not be as good as the final produced file.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Tony,

I Love that method for precisely adjusting the Slideshow to fit the Music. It is much easier than attempting to adjust the picture duration to fit the music!!

Thanks for adding that!!

Kevin

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin and Tony

In my project, I did not create a slideshow. What I did was simply add the 17 pictures into the storyboard, followed by several videos. Shoud I create a slideshow first?

I went into the Production Room and played the preview and the pictures played first with the selected transitions followed immediately by the videos.

How do I adjust the audio to fit the length of the pictures? Option 2 from Kevin?

I am trying to add background music for those 17 pictures only.

Thanks
Patrick
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Patrick -

If you (a) don't want to pre-produce the slide show (which is just a series of images with or without transitions) and (b) don't have a piece of music the has about the same duration as the slide show... DO WHAT KEVIN SAID in option 2.

The alternative is to make the slide show (with music), as I suggested, then whack the video on after that.

Botth methods have equal merit - neither is better than the other. Just a different way of doing it.

You choose - cheers - Tony
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. Thanks Tony.

I use Proshow Gold for many years for my slideshows and I can add videos too to the newer build.

Problem with Proshsow Gold is that it does not recognised '.mod' files as is without having to rename.

I'll perservere with PD8

Rgds
Patrick

ynotfish
[Post New]
Patrick -

You could always use that other software to produce your slide show, then export it as a video file to use in PD... if you could see some advantage in that.

We all use a variety of software to make whatever we're making.

Cheers - Tony
Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had success creating my 1st slideshow via PD8 via the slideshow feature. I've added background music to the 17 pictures, then added the videos to the storyboard after the slideshow.

I am still learning. I selected the 3D slideshow but I've not produced it yet. Can I change the slideshow style at this stage and how do I do this without affecting anything else, especially the background music? My wife feels with the 3D slideshow the pictures are cropped to fit the floating frames and she's got a point

Another question I have is the checkbox split screen where I can see the before/after adjustments. 2 days ago while I was enhancing the pics/videos for the 1st time, I could see the split screen. I've applied changes to all. Yesterday, I attempted to make further changes or just unchecking some of the other enhance boxes, my screen did not split even when I had the spilt box ticked. I am concluding that I already made changes and I cannot make changes over changes?
Many Thanks
Patrick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 18:17

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Patrick -

Learning is a wonderful thing, is it not? Congrats on getting over the first few hurdles.

Sadly, once you've clicked that nasty little NEXT/OK button with slide show templates... that's it. All you can do is go back and start again with your pictures... unless you haven't saved it, in which case just UNDO (ctrl+Z).

If you want to retain your music, just drag it along the timeline, past the slide show (to the right) & delete the slide show. Oh - sorry - that rather depends on the source of the music. Could you elaborate please?

I'm not partial to the 3D template myself. We all agree. Just a personal preference.

Once you've saved a project, you cannot undo previous changes. What many people do is use "Save As"... so they end up with Project 1.1, Project 1.2, Project 1.3 - each representing a different point of progress.

There is an issue with split screen in PD. It has been referred to CyberLink R&D.

There is no problem making changes over changes - well - not that I know about.

Cheers - Tony

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Sadly, once you've clicked that nasty little NEXT/OK button with slide show templates... that's it. All you can do is go back and start again with your pictures... unless you haven't saved it, in which case just UNDO (ctrl+Z).

Why is that, just select the footage in the timeline a click the slideshow tab above the timeline and change slideshow format if you wish.

Jeff
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Patrick,

I think that's awesome!! You sound like you are making progress in your project. At this stage you might consider saving the project "SAVE AS" to reflect the 3D slideshow....as an example....PATS3D.pds. Then selct the slideshow on the TIMELINE and then select SLIDESHOW and choose another slideshow option....say MOTION and try that...then save that one as PATSMOTION.pds....do you get where I am going with this?

EDIT: Tony, Tony, Tony....I wish I was a faster typer....although he gives wonderful answers!!

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 19:33

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Gentlemen

I will try tonight.

Another question I have is when I am in the Produce Window, I need to select a file type i.e. avi, mpg 2 etc. Do I need to select mpg2 as I am going to burn to an image iso? At the preent moment, I have not dug deep enough to find the ISO option.

Rgds
Patrick
ynotfish
[Post New]
That's correct Jeff. My apologies Patrick. I'm still hung over from PD7. Thank you for correcting me.

Thanks Kevin. They'd be even wonderfuller if they were correcter!

Patrick - the format you select should be governed by what you intend to do with the file... DVD? Media Player? Stream ON THE INTERNET? YouTube?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 21:42

Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Patrick - the format you select should be governed by what you intend to do with the file... DVD? Media Player? Stream ON THE INTERNET? YouTube?

Cheers - Tony

Tony, so you're saying that in the Produce Window, I should select MPG2?

Rgds
ynotfish
[Post New]
Patrick -

I don't think I was... but mpeg2 is OK.

What are you going to do with it? (apart from impressing others with your skills in videography)

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Patrick

It's not real clear what you are trying to do, or at least I'm confused. I’m not sure if you want an iso image of a file, a DVD formatted folder or exactly what, how and where you want to play this iso image. But save your time looking, PD8 does not have an iso image create feature.

Jeff