Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 capturing from VCR
Valerie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2009 03:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, a non-tech newbie here. I'm a 60yr old so a bit slow on the uptake and take a while to absorb technical stuff.

OK, where to start. I am starting out converting my VHS tapes to DVD. My system:

Vista Home Premium SP1
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz 2.39GFz
4Gb RAM
32 bit OS

I have the following video capture device (I think that's what this is) which was purchased when I upgraded my computer last year:

VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE1394 Host Controller

Earlier this year I purchased a Kaiserbaas device which came with PD6 software. I was hooking up my VCR just fine and have already captured some of my videos and burned them to DVD.

I was experiencing difficulty with PD6 – it kept crashing. I tried the usual uninstall of all Cyberlink software through Control Panel and reinstalled from the CD.

No luck. After finding the software was now up to PD8 I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade, which I did via download.

Now when I hook up the same way through the Kaiserbaas device and click Capture in PD8 there is no option to capture from a VCR. The Kaiserbaas connector flashes, so I’m presuming the software is finding the device.

Looking through the forum I may certainly have missed another post about this, but it does seem that I should be able to capture from a VCR as others have mentioned other issues capturing VHS tapes.
I have tried watching different ways to connect to the computer on YouTube, but still no luck.

As I said I’m not at all technical, but I can find my way around a computer reasonably well. So I ask your patience if I’ve missed something.

Hoping someone can guide me please. If you need further information I'm sure you'll let me know.
Valerie in Sydney Australia
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not familiar with that device, but if you press play on the VCR does it play through to PD8? I believe I read one post that said PD8 would not recognize the VCR, but if they pressed play on the VCR and then started PD8 recording, it worked. I had to feed mine through my camcorder and capture it with a different program. Then open it with PD to edit. What a pain. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Valerie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2009 03:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jamie

I have tried hooking up with my Canon MV 800i camcorder thus:

R/Y/G RCI cables in the DVD/VCR Out connecting to my camcorder AV socket; DV socket out of my camcorder into firewire port on computer.

No luck there either. my only options are capture from a TV signal, webcam, microphone or AVCHD (don't know what that is).

When I was hooked up direct with the firewire connected through the kaiserbaas adapter to the VCR (which is what I was doing with PD6) I also had capture from a digital TV signal available in PD8.

None of these worked and the record button was grey (unavailable) anyway. Valerie in Sydney Australia