Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Play Blu Ray movie files from the hard drive?
[Post New]
I have PowerDVD V8. It can play Blu Ray movies from the Blu Ray drive in my PC, but I have not figured out how to play blu ray movie files stored on the hard drive. Using the "play movie files" I can open and play DVD files, but not blu ray. Any ideas? Thanks. mkh productions
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

PowerDVD does not play Blu-ray Disc files or folders because of copyright protection. This is based on the Blu-ray Disc spec.

There are some programs that will play them though.

Regards,
David
iieeann [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nil Joined: Oct 21, 2009 21:20 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
movie file you wish to playback is in which format? BD disc image or m2ts? CPU......: i7-975, evga x58 Classified, Kingston 2000 1Gbx3
Display.: GTX285, Dell 2709W
Hdd......: x25M 80Gb x3, iRAM 4Gb
Sound...: Auzentech HTHD, Psyko 5.1, Razer HP1 5.1, Onkyo TX-SR876 AVR
[Post New]
Disk image. I render a blu ray disk in PowerdirectorV8 and have it write the file to a folder on the hard drive. I would like to preview the results before burning to a disk. mkh productions
Greg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2009 09:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Disk image. I render a blu ray disk in PowerdirectorV8 and have it write the file to a folder on the hard drive. I would like to preview the results before burning to a disk.

you need to mount an iso image on a virtual drive. i use daemon tools pro. regards,
greg
http://www.kimnach.org
iieeann [Avatar]
[Post New]
You need AnyDVD HD to remove the protection for playing with disc image file, like what i am doing now. My BD disc is kept in safe place. CPU......: i7-975, evga x58 Classified, Kingston 2000 1Gbx3
[Post New]
These are Blu Ray movies I have rendered, I would not think they have any protection. mkh productions
iieeann [Avatar]
[Post New]
In what file format the disc image you rendered is kept? .iso or .mds/.mdt ?

Daemon tools lite (free) and alcohol 52% (free) are the 2 most famous disc mounting tools at the moment. They create virtual BD/DVD drive and are able to mount a lot of image formats.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2009 22:50

CPU......: i7-975, evga x58 Classified, Kingston 2000 1Gbx3
[Post New]
OK, I guess I am dumb as a bag of rocks . . .

I tried Daemon Tools Lite, it does not know what to do with the Blu Ray folders on the hard drive.

The file PDV8 creates looks just like a Blu Ray disk, it has two folders under the root, BDMV and Certificate. It is not an image file. Under the BDMV folder there are many directories, most of them empty, but there is one directory called STREAM with lots of 000XX.m2ts files, in this case numbered from 00000 to 00052.

When I burn a disk with Nero, I use the Blu Ray option and simply add the BDMV and Certificate folder to the project and burn.

So I'm guessing PDV8 is not creating an image file? mkh productions