Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is TV Safe Area in PD8?
Alexpho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2009 20:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys. I am a newbie and in the middle of editing my vacation HD videos to blu ray. Slowly but surely, I am getting there.

One of my issues is this " TV SAFE " area. My original clips are in MTS files 16x9 aspect ratio. I have also clicked on 16x9 on the preference menu. After burning the disk I popped the disc in the BR player.

I was to surprised to see that the other edges were clipped off. For example, getting like 85 percent of the video on the TV screen. When I was editing, I was putting titles on the corner of the video. Half of the words are now cut of.

Is there a way to fix this or turn something off?? Who the heck would not want a full original 16x9 video of there HD work??
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
As you may know, many of today's tv's have different viewing options, 16:9, 4:3, justify, zoom.
Try changing your set's view option if possible.
Best thing to keep in mind is
keep important images and titles within the TV safe area.

Personally, the TV safe option and gridlines should be part of the Preferences because I'd like to keep it on.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 10:25

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Alexpho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2009 20:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Barry. I hope Cyberlink can change this in the future and put some sort of on or off for the TV safe area. Yes, I tried the disc on another TV and set the screen format to PAN and Scan. The full original width and height appears, as intended during editing and viewing on the display above the timeline. However, not all TV's, including modern HD displays have Pan and Scan. In essence, we can't put titles in the corner of the screen because of this. It will either be cut off ( non pan and scan ) or alignment too far off to the edge for sets with pan and scan. I plan to send these vacation BR videos to friends and family.

If we spent so much time and effort to get the best in HD and BR, we should prefer everything. If you shot your clips in wide angle, the finished product will not be as intended, though the viewer might have a 16 x 9 set.

Displaying the full native size of the picture should be the default in the burning process.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 11:09

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry and Alex,
Ok, I'll open this by backing what Barry has advised.

I create video and output to a HD wmv format.
I place finished video onto a USB memory device.
I have a Western Digital "WD TV HD Media Player" and the USB device is the video source.
When I play the video the whole of the video screen displays - nothing is lost.

I always position my watermark within the TV safe zone.

I just thought I'd throw that variant into the mix and state what I do.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 12:19

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Barry wrote:
Personally, the TV safe option and gridlines should be part of the Preferences because I'd like to keep it on.
Barry, that’s a GREAT suggestion!!!
Yes, ALL the functions at the Toggle TV Safe Zone / Gridlines On-Off / Snap to Reference tab, should have a user definable On/Off default option in Preferences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 19:01

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hear! Hear!

I must waste about 1000 clicks a day turning off "Snap to Reference" & setting grid lines... and I generally want it the same way.

Did you put it in the suggestion box Barry? It's a jolly good idea.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Well Cyberlink (if you happen to be reading this), that's 2000 extra and unnecessary clicks per day, from only two users.
And all these clicks, just to turn "Snap To Reference" off, and turn Grid Lines on, in PIP Designer.
Not to mention Barry's clicks.

So again, PLEASE consider making the default settings of these functions, user definable, by adding them to the Preference Settings.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
So young Crankston, yet so wise.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2009 05:32

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
All lobsters click - I think it's something to do with mating. Don't spoil Barry's fun by making his clicks less.

I can't find any registry entries that might set these defaults but I'll keep looking just in case (in between clicks of course)

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
click-click, clickclick: click. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
That didn't last long Barry, everything OK???

Clicks
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Had to quit "editing", I think I heard me mum...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2009 12:09

[Post New]
Alex:

The purpose of that TV safe zone is to insure that you can put titles and other important details in the zone that is likely to be displayed by all TV's. Some TV's will display everything in the full frame you see while editing and many will not.

PD and other editors have no control over this, so that set of limits is displayed to remind you of the area it is "safe" to place titles and graphics you wish to be seen fully by all viewers.

Use it and be glad it's available.
Aaron in BNA
Newbie Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 16, 2009 11:43 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: One of my issues is this " TV SAFE " area.

Guys and Gals you are all so smart at times... except now.

I have Wiki-ed the whole TV Safe area. Per Wiki "It is the area where you place kids when they won't shut up during the football game", (e.g. a dark closet)

Aaron Just because you can, doesn't mean you should !
[Post New]
Hi,

I am having the same problem...I built a very complex timeline with mnay clips and transitions. Is there a way to snap them all at once to the tv safe area now? Instead of redoing it all?

I must produce it tonight, please respond asap...

Thank you!

Marina
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marina,
Please start a new topic of your own rather than resurrect a 5 year old thread. Reference this thread if you think it is the same.

Members will look/read new topics and answer as best they can.

Thread closed to prevent further hijacking.

Dafydd