Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Please Help, I really can't figure this out.....
[Post New]
Ok first off I just want to say that yes I am completely new to Power Director so please bare with me here. Ok my problem is with the Main Video Track, I started my project using some titles and music then about a minute into the project I would like to start adding some video clips, the problem is every time I add a video media to the Main Video Track it places the video at the very beginning of the project and I can't drag it to where I want it to be in the project. So my question is how can I place my video clips in the main video track exactly where I want them to be in the time line ?

P.S.- I know this is a complete noob question but I read some of the manual and used the search feature in these forums before posting and could not find the answer to my problem.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jason -

OK - first off - it's OK to be just beginning. It's OK to ask questions. It doesn't matter if they're hi-tech or low-tech. That's what this forum is about.

When you place a clip in the timeline by dragging, you can place it in the timeline where you want... except "out in the middle of nowhere". If you right click on it and select "Add to video track", it will go exactly where the blue scrubber/line is.

Even if it lands where you don't want it, it's easy enough to pick it up and take it elsewhere (click & drag).

You say this won't work for you... can you tell us exactly what you did and what happened? Something isn't right there.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jason,
Video placed in the main Video Track will position itself next to the last object in the video track or when it is the first video to the very start of the track. Video can be placed between other clips in the video track. You can not position a video in the main track where there are no other clips or still images either side of it.

However: When you use PiP tracks you can place the video in any position.

1. If you don't "fill" the Video Track and rely on the PiP track the Video produced will output a black screen when no PiP is showing.
2. If you place music in the audio tracks first and then a video in the main track the music can move to the right in the audio timeline.
3. Be aware that when editing/splitting and deleting video from the main track the audio (track) clip reduces as well - it does not maintain its full length..

Sorry to confuse you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 03:36

PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jason I can see exactly what you mean.
The trick is to put a blank video section of the required length on the main video track. You can do this by putting a black "color board" at the beginning of your timeline, stretched to the required length. (Actually doesn't need to be black)
You will find color boards by clicking the dropdown menu ALL CONTENT just below the EDIT button. (Or the little orange arrowhead LH window).
Make sure when you review that you choose Movie and NOT clip, else you will think you have lost your titles.

regards Patrick
Alexpho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2009 20:59 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Jason,

That is what I do for PIP editing. I would put a blank color board on the main video track and then add video to the PIP track. You will then treat this PIP video as the main video ( adjust the image size by making it a full size clip ) . You have plenty of PIP tracks to utilize. Please note that these tracks must be " unlock " ( lock logo ) on the far left of the bar.

I am new too and in the middle of editing my videos. I have learned that it is best to start with sequences of video, transitions, PIP, tittles, and then audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 18. 2009 07:27

[Post New]
Quote: Jason,

That is what I do for PIP editing. I would put a blank color board on the main video track and then add video to the PIP track. You will then treat this PIP video as the main video ( adjust the image size by making it a full size clip ) . You have plenty of PIP tracks to utilize. Please note that these tracks must be " unlock " ( lock logo ) on the far left of the bar.

I am new too and in the middle of editing my videos. I have learned that it is best to start with sequences of video, transitions, PIP, tittles, and then audio.

First off I just want to says thanks to all of you for replying to my question and trying to help me, I am very appreciative and I gave you all 5 stars because I'm sure I'll have more questions very soon . So far I've been using the blank color board and PIP methods referred by Patrick and Alex and everything is looking great!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just for completeness :-

PD uses the logic, in the main video track, that "nothing" is not an option so the user has to put something in. In the absence of anything else whatever is in there is placed "first".

In other tracks, nothing is an option - in effect a "black" colour board, so content can be placed in the timeline as required with black being the default.

Other software assumes that same logic for the main video track and automatically makes a "black colour board" the default if nothing else is there.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.