Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
File size limit in most AVCHD camcorders, bad transition in PDV8
[Post New]
My Samsung HMX-H105 has a file size limit of 1.8GB, which is roughly 15 minutes in the HD superfine mode. If this limit is reached while recording, a new file will be created, and so on every 15 minutes. I assumed if I put these files in order on the PD8 timeline with no transition they would play seamlessly, but this is not the case, there is a "jump" that looks sort of like I hit the record button rapidly twice in succession.

Has anybody else experienced this with their camera and have any suggestions on how to "splice" these files back together? Thanks. mkh productions
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

I find this fascinating (well it does not sound ideal either) that the camera does this. Especially if you are, as I understand this, recording one long take and camera does not stop the recording, just creates a new file.

Sounds like you will have to get creative with your edits at these moments using transitions, effects or titles to cover the change of file. Or create a quick edit with a color board between the two. Placing a color board between the two for about 15 frames is an editing technique I use sometimes.

This issue reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock's movie Rope, where the entire movie only has 8 shots. The film he was using was only 10 minutes long per reel, so he would have to creatively zoom into people's backs and other tricks to get around this.

I know this doesn't help...but I found it interesting.

Good luck,
David
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,
I've sent you a PM on how and where to upload Samsung HMX-H105 test clips. Please could you take a look and let me know? I'm sure members of the "camera group" would like to have a go at checking out your sample video.

Bif has recently uploaded video from his Canon 7D - that one might be worth a look at.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies . . . . I know this is not a PD8 issue, but from what I have browsed on the web it is common to cameras using solid state memory (probably disk drives too, but I don't know for sure).

There were only two events on my recent project longer than 15 minutes, but I typically record events 90 minutes or more in length. Now that I know what the camera does I can try and work around the 1.8G limit.

If I get a chance tonight I will create a short clip with the break between files to demonstrate what happens.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2009 06:54

mkh productions
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please only upload UNEDITED footage to the Camera location. It is not a place for anything else.

I will provide a new location for your edited video - just tell me when you're ready.

Thanks

Dafydd
Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I'm aware of the same problem in France with a sony SR11 and AVCHD files. The user have 5 files of 2 gb on the HDD of the camcorder. When he tried to load the files on the timeline directly from the camcorder HDD, there was a jump between each of the 5 files. So he used the sofware provided with the sony cam, name Picture Motion Browser to download the files from the HDD cam to his computer HDD. The result was a file of 10 Gb without any jump. Then he put it on the timeline and all was fine.

I guess that Samsung and other manufacturers provide their own software to download files from the cam. That might be your solution.

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker.

Sincerely

Fred

For those who speak french here is the full append found on Pinnacle forum from Mike34

Enregistrer un spectacle avec une caméra à disque dur (exemple Sony SR11 en AVCHD) oblige le caméscope à fonctionner sans interruption pendant un temps très long.

Malheureusement, les caméscopes découpent l'enregistrement en fichiers de 2Go, ce qui représente 16mn en qualité max Full HD.
Le seul inconvénient pour celui qui ne le sait pas, c'est qu'en copiant directement les fichiers depuis le disque dur du caméscope sur un disque dur de PC afin de les exploiter directement dans un logiciel de montage (exemple avec Studio) , les raccords de ces fichiers de 2Go ne seront pas parfaits (très souvent des raccords avec des images parasitées et l'audio avec des coupures). La malchance veut toujours que ces raccords soient à des endroits que l'on ne veut pas couper.

Même si on ne l'utilise pas habituellement, c'est là que le petit logiciel de Sony « Picture Motion Browser » a toute son utilité.
En effet, si on importe un clip de ce genre avec ce logiciel PMB, il se retrouve sur le PC avec un fichier unique "complètement assemblé", ce qui signifie pour la suite, plus de problème avec les logiciels de montage.

J'ai fait un test hier en enregistrant l'écran de la TV avec mon caméscope pendant 1H20 et j'ai ainsi obtenu 5 fichiers sur le disque du caméscope, qui en les important sur le PC avec l'utilitaire de Sony me donne enfin un fichier unique de 10Go.
Je n'aime pas beaucoup la philosophie de PMB, mais dans ce cas son utilisation est indispensable.

Nota: Si on ne veut utiliser PMB qu'exceptionnellement, il faut apprendre à l'utiliser, pour n'importer que "ce" ou "ces" clips soigneusement sélectionnés et ne pas importer par inadvertance tous les clips déjà présents sur le caméscope.
Il faut donc:
1) sélectionner un dossier pour enregister (sur le PC)
2) lancer la commande "Importation de fichiers multimédias" et faire une sélection.
... mais surtout ne pas se lancer dans l'importation automatique de tout le disque en entier...

Etant resté avec les habitudes de Studio 12, j'ai voulu tester la nouvelle fonction « IMPORTATION » de Pinnacle Studio 14 .... (c’est Nul !!!!! pour ce cas particulier)

Studio ne fait pas mieux qu'un simple gestionnaire de fichiers, c'est une copie simple de tous les fichiers enregistrés sur le média du caméscope (disque ou carte mémoire) aucun regroupement comme le fait PMB de Sony. Ce n'est pas étonnant, car sur le media du caméscope il existe des fichiers de gestion des enregistrements exploités par PMB, mais pas du tout utilisés par Studio.

En plus (ou plutôt en moins car c'est encore un point "négatif"), la fonction IMPORTATION de Studio 14 a mis 15 minutes avant de pouvoir me donner la liste des fichiers du caméscope pour en faire une sélection (un comble !!!).... d'accord il y avait 790 fichiers déjà enregistrés sur mon disque dur ...
... mais avec mon gestionnaire de fichiers ou avec PMB c'est pratiquement immédiat, même avec l'affichage des vignettes pour PMB c'est hyper rapide.

Pour terminer, bravo à Sony, PMB est un programme sommaire fourni avec les caméscopes, mais qui fait bien un travail indispensable.

Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Thank you again for the the replies. Your English is great, no need to apologize.

The camcorder does come with a utility called Intelli-studio, but I have not yet found any feature to join files. I'll play with it again tonight. mkh productions
Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you again for the the replies. Your English is great, no need to apologize.

The camcorder does come with a utility called Intelli-studio, but I have not yet found any feature to join files. I'll play with it again tonight.

I don't think that there is a specific function to merge file it's rather a capture function that allows to download files from the cam to your HDD on your PC. Then use PD8 to import the file(s) on your timeline from your HDD.

In fact 2 steps, first download on your HDD using intelli-studio, second open PD8 and use the downloaded files. In my mind it could be enough to solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2009 13:08

Fred Le Crocky
Darren [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 12:39 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Has anybody else experienced this with their camera and have any suggestions on how to "splice" these files back together? Thanks.

I am having the same issue with my Canon HG10. See my earlier post:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7727.page

The problem is also discussed in length here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-hf-hg-series-avchd/113083-canon-vixia-hg10-2gb-file-limit-headache.html

A contributor to that forum developed a little utility to join the files together: http://sites.google.com/site/mtsfilejoiner/

Works perfect for me. I simply join my 2 gig files into one large files and the transition issue between files is gone. Don't know if it will work with your camcorder or not, but works great with the Canon ones.

If anyone from CyberLink is monitoring these forums, being able to join these clips together in PD would be a great feature. Looks like this is becoming a more widespread issue.

[Post New]
I tried joining two files using Samsung's Intelli-studio utlity. It did combine the files, but the resulting file had the same stutter as the PD8 project.

For this project, a brief transition effect solved the problem. I will need to keep this in mind on future projects and force a file break during natural pauses so a break does not occur at an inopportune time. mkh productions
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
In a typical HD video (Canon HFS10) shoot of mine I'll have 200-300 files, 1hr worth. Lots of 5-25 sec clips. I often like to put them in one large file for editing in PD. Again, my experience is many files in PD generally makes things more unstable, slow, crash.... The freeware tsMuxeR http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html has worked good for me. You just drop in the playlist, (*.MPL file from camera) and it assembles all the clips and outputs to a single file or a AVCHD or a BD folder format. It generally reports overlapping audio frames and removes them. I have not had any sync or jump issues when file is imported into PD8. It runs fast, 1hr, 250 clips muxes in about 2 min.

Jeff
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: In a typical HD video (Canon HFS10) shoot of mine I'll have 200-300 files, 1hr worth. Lots of 5-25 sec clips. I often like to put them in one large file for editing in PD. Again, my experience is many files in PD generally makes things more unstable, slow, crash.... The freeware tsMuxeR http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html has worked good for me. You just drop in the playlist, (*.MPL file from camera) and it assembles all the clips and outputs to a single file or a AVCHD or a BD folder format. It generally reports overlapping audio frames and removes them. I have not had any sync or jump issues when file is imported into PD8. It runs fast, 1hr, 250 clips muxes in about 2 min.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
That's not what I'd do. I found it interesting you'd feel the need to stitch the footage together, something that goes contrary to all the years of editing where we have as editors wanted segmented scenes clearly showing.

As for my own technique. I'm using MediaShow 5 as the display and play for media files in a folder and selecting those for a project using click and drag into PD's Media Library.

Dafydd
[Moderator]