Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fred you asked about my Canon HF-s11
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Someone named Fred from France sent me a PM with no user name (not sure how???). I couldn't reply because of that, so I'll stick it here.

Hi Fred -

I bought it on the internet (cost less), but I know it's available in "real" shops.

Have a look at http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-DM-50-CANON-Microphone-16161-0

I'm sure if you just google canon DM50 and select only pages from France, you'll find it easily.

I can tell you it makes a mountain of difference to sound pick up... and it just plugs into the hot shoe on top of the camera.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 09:19

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I'm Fred from France. Thanks for answering directly on the forum. I tried to update my profile with a name but could not succeed.

edit: well it works. Thank you all.

edit2: to be clear I already have a DM 50 and I plan to buy a Canon HF-s11. Unfortunateley the DM-50 cannot plug intp the HF-S11 so I'm interested only with the little interface that plug the DM50 to the camcorder. Where did you get it ?
Is there a place in this forum for such a conversation ? Otherwise excuse me.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 09:20

Fred Le Crocky
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Fred,
Good to have you "on-board".

Ask away here, I'll change the heading and delete my moan and you can continue to ask Tony a question. I'm interested in the answers.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 09:20

Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd.

I searched the web to find this little adapter but didn't find it. Looking at the photo of Tony's camcorder, the plug of his DM-50 is really different from mine.
Tony's DM 50 looks like the DM-100 sold in France. DM-100 plugs on Vixia HF-xxx. DM-50 plug is larger than the DM-100 one so doesn't fit Vixia series.

Tony would it be possible for you to check ?

Sincerely.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 11:08

Fred Le Crocky
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fred,

Please add your details:

Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks
Dafydd
[Moderator]
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Fred,

I have both the Canon DM-50 and the DM-100 and Tony's photo sure looks like my DM-100. I have never found a hot shoe adapter to allow the DM-50 to fit the Canon VIXIA models which require the DM-100.

It's rather confusing as both mics do fit VIXIA models, from my notes I had the following when I was seriously searching about 6 months ago.
I think the DM-50 was for VIXIA models, VIXIA HG10, VIXIA HV20, VIXIA HV30, VIXIA HV40.

While the DM-100 is for VIXIA models, VIXIA HF S10, VIXIA HF S100, VIXIA HF S11, VIXIA HF10, VIXIA HF100, VIXIA HF11, VIXIA HF20, VIXIA HF200, VIXIA HF21, VIXIA HG20, VIXIA HG21, VIXIA HG30.

Maybe that helps.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 11:51

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff,
You have provide some marvellous bits of information for members on this forum, thank you. I'm really impressed once again. Excellent sharing.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff's information is correct. My information is/was incorrect.

My microphone is NOT a DM-50 at all. It's a DM-100. My apologies for the error & creating any confusion... particularly to Fred Le Crocky.

Jeff - I remember being a bit confused about it when I was looking into it (and apparently still so!). There were so many similar (Canon) camera models with so many similar names and specifications.

On another note, Fred... with the camera you're considering. The HF S10 was the predecessor to the HF S11. There's barely any difference between them, except the internal flash drive has been increased from 32GB to 64GB.

Still - it's not ALL bad... at least I remember being confused.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Quote: Fred,

Please add your details:

Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks
Dafydd
[Moderator]

Done. I'm not yet a PD8 editor (I use pinnacle studio) but plan to go to PD8 when I go to HD camcorder (Canon HF-S11 or Panasonic TM350 ?)
Fred Le Crocky
Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Quote: Fred,

I have both the Canon DM-50 and the DM-100 and Tony's photo sure looks like my DM-100. I have never found a hot shoe adapter to allow the DM-50 to fit the Canon VIXIA models which require the DM-100.

It's rather confusing as both mics do fit VIXIA models, from my notes I had the following when I was seriously searching about 6 months ago.
I think the DM-50 was for VIXIA models, VIXIA HG10, VIXIA HV20, VIXIA HV30, VIXIA HV40.

While the DM-100 is for VIXIA models, VIXIA HF S10, VIXIA HF S100, VIXIA HF S11, VIXIA HF10, VIXIA HF100, VIXIA HF11, VIXIA HF20, VIXIA HF200, VIXIA HF21, VIXIA HG20, VIXIA HG21, VIXIA HG30.

Maybe that helps.

Jeff

Jeff,

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Many thanks.
The DM-100 in France is about 200€ (more or less 300 $). An adapter would have cost 20€ (30$). Not an excellent news, shame on Canon. Fred Le Crocky
Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff's information is correct. My information is/was incorrect.

My microphone is NOT a DM-50 at all. It's a DM-100. My apologies for the error & creating any confusion... particularly to Fred Le Crocky.

Jeff - I remember being a bit confused about it when I was looking into it (and apparently still so!). There were so many similar (Canon) camera models with so many similar names and specifications.

On another note, Fred... with the camera you're considering. The HF S10 was the predecessor to the HF S11. There's barely any difference between them, except the internal flash drive has been increased from 32GB to 64GB.

Still - it's not ALL bad... at least I remember being confused.

Cheers - Tony

No problem for me Tony. Now everything is clear. Fred Le Crocky