Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD ultra problems and queries
McGerr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2006 12:03 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have recently bought Powerdvd ultra to play HDDVDs. I have a 40 inch LCD 1080P TV, but why won't the image fill the screen? Why is there is black bars top and bottom? I thought HDDVD were 1080p so shouldn't they fill the screen?

Second, I can't play any other files with DVD ultra. I can hear the sound, but no picture is displayed. I tried .ts files, .mpeg files, .mpeg2 files, avi files. Is PowerDVD ultra only for HDDVD's or Bluray DVD's?

Thanks
Mel.
Eizfeldt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2006 16:40 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
This is what i said a month ago. This black bars on top and bottom. HD-Video is in 2,35:1. Your TV is 1,85:1. So the only way to clear them is to use the zoom funktion (overlay) with your graka. Power DVD doesn`t support it now or ever I don`t know. To your second problem. Disable the second display then it will work.
McGerr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Eizfeldt, I did some research on the internet and found out about the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I learned that it is actually 2.39:1 that they use now, but people call it 2.35:1 anyway :

I have no second display, It's not an option in my displays manager, it is disabled already. Also in Powerdvd it is not listed as a choice, the dual display tab is greyed out.

I went through a few things with the Cyberlink support and they have said they are releasing a major patch in the next few days. If my problem still exixts after that to contact them again.
placebo78 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 11, 2007 09:55 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Guys,

if you have a ws display at home, then it only matters in what format the movie was shot. roughly said, there are 3 ways:

full frame (black bars at the left and right site
1,85:1 that would be a ws movie with no black bars at all
2,35:1 that would be a movie which has black bars on top and bottom

so, if u dont wanna have black bars, then u either have to zoom into a movie, tv also does this (but i wont do it, because u loose important picture information and the quality lacks also or you just buy movies in the above shown aspect ratio. so, i dont see the point about zooming, but thats my opinion.

about the other files, thats a shame, the versions before could handly ts files and everything just fine, this new version is only good for dvds and blu rays and hd dvds, but hd dvds wont work here on my site, damn it. i hope they will fix this soon, it was expensive enough, dont u think?

Greetings
Placebo
McGerr [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't like zooming in either placebo, I think I should have got the 46inch version of my TV lol. I mainly got it for HD material and I think most HD DVD's are going to be 2.35:1. So there are going to be a lot of black bars :

Yeah, it was very expensive for a program that can only play HD DVD's or normal DVD's. But the funny thing thing is that they sent out another version to me to try and it was the Bluray version, well that version could play .ts files, the only trouble is that if you tried to watch a second file it crashed. Lol, lots of problems!!!

But, let's see what this patch will do when it is released. If it don't work, they have said I can get a refund.
placebo78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
They talked 2 u about a new patch? That would be just wonderful. Did they say, when approx it should show up? Greetings
Placebo
McGerr [Avatar]
[Post New]
They said very soon!!! And then they said a few days, so I am hoping it will be here before the end of the week.
placebo78 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hope, they will bring it soon, because if you look at it from a distant point of view, 90% aint working, thats quite bad! Thx for the info, pls post if you hear or see anything,ok? Greetings
Placebo