Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Do I Open a Mobile Project On Desktop???
Paul999 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2019 10:10 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I know I can upload a mobile project to the cloud and download it on desktop, but I have zero interest in that. Projects are huge and take way too long to first upload and then download. Plus I'm often on mobile data. It's annoying that I can't just easily export a project via USB...

I tried it and so far this is what happened:

1. Found the mobile projectfolder in InternalStorage>PowerDirector>Projects ✅

2. Copied the project file with the extension ".pdrproj" over to my desktop. ✅

3. Attempted to open it with PowerDirector 18 desktop version... ❌

Step 3 is a big fail as the ".pdrproj" file extension is not supported by PowerDirector 18.

Instead PowerDirector 18 has a Mobile Project extension of ".pdm".

So the mobile PowerDirector exports ".pdrproj"" and then PowerDirector doesn't even recognize that and instead wants ".pdm" which is not all all the format which PowerDirector Mobile actually uses for its projects.

So I'm stuck now.

I would love to use both PowerDirector on mobile and desktop but how this works is beyond me.

Hence my question:

Am I missing something here? Or am I basically screwed if I want to be able to transfer projects from Mobile to desktop without using the Cyverlink cloud?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2021 08:41

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You're running into problems because you're trying to do an end run around the cloud process. The .pdrproj file is the native Android project file, not the file that was meant to be exported to the CL (or Google Drive) cloud.

If you turn off all data connectivity (no Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cell/4G/5G data) before exporting to the cloud, then you'll find all the appropriate files in the \Internal shared storage\cyberlink\PowerDirector\CloudTempFiles folder, including the converted .pdm file.

You can copy the relevant media clips from there as well and then delete everything from that folder on your mobile device and everything will open in the desktop version as expected.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You may also want to request that CL add the ability to transfer projects to another device directly via USB/Wi-Fi/BT connection (rather than using any cloud seervices) from the Settings | FAQ & Send Feedback and/or Rate This App tools.
Paul999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You're running into problems because you're trying to do an end run around the cloud process. The .pdrproj file is the native Android project file, not the file that was meant to be exported to the CL (or Google Drive) cloud.

If you turn off all data connectivity (no Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cell/4G/5G data) before exporting to the cloud, then you'll find all the appropriate files in the \Internal shared storage\cyberlink\PowerDirector\CloudTempFiles folder, including the converted .pdm file.

You can copy the relevant media clips from there as well and then delete everything from that folder on your mobile device and everything will open in the desktop version as expected.

Thanks optodata, I apprciate your help with this.

Unfortunately though when I export to the cloud with all connectivity turned off I get the message "load unsuccessful. Check your network connection and try again" and then when I then check the cyberlink directory you mention, it's still empty.

I checked all forlders and also did a search for CloudTempFiles but it's nowhere to be found.

My guess is that Cyberlink only offers the cloud export because it's a paid service that probably adds to their bottom line. Adding free USB export will probably lead to less people paying for the cloud.

Problem is, this comes at a significant usability expense. So much so that I'll switch to a pro editing solution as soon as I can warrant making that switch. Unless of course I find a way to make it work in the way you described. So far on my device I can't make it work though.

Have you tried the proccess you decribe above yourself and is it working for you? If so, do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong and why it may not be working for me?

P.S. I assume that with "Internal shared storage" you mean the root directory of the internal storage.

P.P.S. I sent the same thing to Cyberlink support. My experience with support is bad though. They haven't been particulary helpful in the past. Felt very corporate and cookie cutter response like. Not very helpful and understanding of the problems I was having.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2021 06:10

optodata
[Post New]
I'm sorry that I wrote "then you'll find all the appropriate files" rather than "I assume you'd find" as I hadn't tested out that approach.

However, since it will take a long time to upload an exported project, maybe you could re-enable data connectivity and try epsorting again which seems like it would send the needed .pdm project in the temp folder long enough that you could copy it.

Alternately, the .pdm file may be one of the first items uploaded to the cloud and you could easily download it from there without waiting for all the media clips to transfer.
optodata
[Post New]
In fact I just tested this and all content is in the temp folder while uploading to the cloud:

Paul999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In fact I just tested this and all content is in the temp folder while uploading to the cloud:

Thanks for the idea. I'll give a go tomorrow when I have time again.

I'm quite careful with how I spend my limited mobile data. It's fast so a minute of cloud uploading could lead to lots of data credit loss. But maybe I can configure a temporary device-wide download speed limit. Or maybe I can just cut off the upload after a few seconds.

Thanks again for your help, appriciate it.

P.S. As expected the PowerDirector support reply was not helpful:

"We understand that you would like to know about if you are able to import and open your project from PowerDirector Mobile to PowerDirector 18 Ultimate software. We are more than willing to assist you with your concern.

With reference to your query, we would like to inform you that the PowerDirector Mobile application save your project as .pdrproj file while the PowerDirector desktop computer save it as .pds file.

Therefore, you are unable to edit the project from the PowerDirector Mobile application to PowerDirector 18 Ultimate software vice versa.

It requires you to produce first the project from the PowerDirector Mobile application to make it as an MP4 output and transfer it on your PowerDirector 18 Ultimate."
Paul999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In fact I just tested this and all content is in the temp folder while uploading to the cloud:

Thanks a ton, I got this process down successfully now thanks to you.

What I did was I downloaded the app Throttly in the Google play store to throttle my high speed 4g simcard connection down to under 50kbps before exporting to the Cyberlink cloud.

This way I don't waste my valuable limited 4G data plan on a bogus cloud export, but I do get access to all mobile project files that I can then transfer to my laptop via USB.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2021 02:41

optodata
[Post New]
That sounds like a good way to keep the files in the temp folder long enough to access them while keeping your data usage at a minimum.

I hope you'll follow up with my suggestion to use one of the feedback tools and request the ability to directly transfer projects via USB, and also that CL decides to make that happen.
Paul999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That sounds like a good way to keep the files in the temp folder long enough to access them while keeping your data usage at a minimum.

I hope you'll follow up with my suggestion to use one of the feedback tools and request the ability to directly transfer projects via USB, and also that CL decides to make that happen.

I'll look into it next time it comes to my mind when I'm working with PD.

What kept me from doing it previously is the unhelpful support replies I've always gotten so far. Gave me the impression that Cyberlink is not using user feedback much for decision making since they didn't seem to care much about the problems I was having... Or rather to me they sound corporate and disconnected. Not like someone understanding and wanting to genuinely help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2021 16:50

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hence my question:

Am I missing something here? Or am I basically screwed if I want to be able to transfer projects from Mobile to desktop without using the Cyverlink cloud?

If you do not wish to use the CyberLink Cloud you can also move the files to your PC using a Google Drive account.

Cruz Lopez [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2022 16:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

I've been following the steps you provided in your original solution and I cannot find this "cyberlink" folder in my Android's file directories. (The one before PowerDirector > CloudTempFiles which I ALSO cannot find). Even with show hidden files checked. What's up with that? (I have all internet and data connections disabled during the transfer process on both laptop and phone.)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I've been following the steps you provided in your original solution and I cannot find this "cyberlink" folder in my Android's file directories. (The one before PowerDirector > CloudTempFiles which I ALSO cannot find). Even with show hidden files checked. What's up with that? (I have all internet and data connections disabled during the transfer process on both laptop and phone.)

Those folders are only present when the app is actively uploading content to the CL cloud. Take a look at Maliek's tutorial (2 posts back) to use Google Drive to transfer the content.