Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce 9:16 Video Problem
HenryC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2019 20:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I imported a 9:16 video clip into my desktop powerdirector, 365 and tried to produce a 9:16 video cilp for my instagram. However, everytime I tried, the vertical video become horizental. Anyone has the same probelm? Thanks!
CyberLive [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2021 09:35 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I imported a 9:16 video clip into my desktop powerdirector, 365 and tried to produce a 9:16 video cilp for my instagram. However, everytime I tried, the vertical video become horizental. Anyone has the same probelm? Thanks!

Yes I have the same problem. I tried to produce 9:16 videos for YT shorts but they always came out 16:9 with big black borders either side of the video regardless of what settings I use in the project or rendering menus.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You may be talking about two different problems.

HenryC, I'm assuming that the produced video looks correct and will play correctly after it's been imported back into PD. Can you also try plating it in another player app, like Movies & TV, Windows Media Player or VLC?

CyberLive, you have to make sure that the project's aspect ratio is set to 9:16 using the dropdown list to the lower right of the preview window in order to produce a vertical video rather than a letterboxed 16:9.
HenryC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You may be talking about two different problems.

HenryC, I'm assuming that the produced video looks correct and will play correctly after it's been imported back into PD. Can you also try plating it in another player app, like Movies & TV, Windows Media Player or VLC?

CyberLive, you have to make sure that the project's aspect ratio is set to 9:16 using the dropdown list to the lower right of the preview window in order to produce a vertical video rather than a letterboxed 16:9.

Thank you for your reply. When I import, play and edit 9:16 video clips in PD, they are all fine. But when I press the produce button and try to creat and save those edited video clips in my hard drive, they can be saved but they are turned 90 degree and saved in 19:6 horizantal way, which is weird.

I have attahced a photo for yor reference.
[Thumb - 9:16.png]
 Filename
9:16.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
435 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
HenryC - That looks like the Windows 7 Windows Media Player in the screenshot. Both WMP and VLC in Windows 7 play those portrait videos sideways as the rotation flag is not recognized. Play the same videos in Windows 10 if you want to see them oriented correctly.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply. When I import, play and edit 9:16 video clips in PD, they are all fine. But when I press the produce button and try to creat and save those edited video clips in my hard drive, they can be saved but they are turned 90 degree and saved in 19:6 horizantal way, which is weird.

I have attahced a photo for yor reference.

Thanks for confirming that the clip plays sideways in Windows Media Player.

I'm a little confused though, because the sample clip you used is actually a 16:9 clip. While it looks to have been cropped to fit in a 9:16 frame, there are a couple of places where mistakes might have crept into your workflow and it would be better to work with true vertical clips to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

Please download the contents of this folder which has a short 4K 9:16 clip and a PD20/365 project with a range selected on the timeline. If you click on Produce Range you should get a 10 second clip like the Produced 9_16 clip.mp4 that I also placed in the folder.

That clip plays vertically in PD, VLC, WMP and the Win10/11 Movie & TV app on my end, so please let us know what happens when you produce the test project and then play it in WMP.
HenryC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote HenryC - That looks like the Windows 7 Windows Media Player in the screenshot. Both WMP and VLC in Windows 7 play those portrait videos sideways as the rotation flag is not recognized. Play the same videos in Windows 10 if you want to see them oriented correctly.

Thank you very much for your reply, much appricated. I think you are correct. I will need to update my Window's sytem.
HenryC [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for confirming that the clip plays sideways in Windows Media Player.

I'm a little confused though, because the sample clip you used is actually a 16:9 clip. While it looks to have been cropped to fit in a 9:16 frame, there are a couple of places where mistakes might have crept into your workflow and it would be better to work with true vertical clips to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

Please download the contents of this folder which has a short 4K 9:16 clip and a PD20/365 project with a range selected on the timeline. If you click on Produce Range you should get a 10 second clip like the Produced 9_16 clip.mp4 that I also placed in the folder.

That clip plays vertically in PD, VLC, WMP and the Win10/11 Movie & TV app on my end, so please let us know what happens when you produce the test project and then play it in WMP.

Thank you very much for your reply, much appricated.

I have tried to use your test 9:16 clips, the same problem happend again. I believe that is because I am still using old version of Window system (Window 7). I will update my Window's system, hopefully I will be able to produce 9:16 clips correctly.
keithwjones [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2019 18:53 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
My 9:16 play horizontally in VLC but play correctly in WMP Win !0.

Keith

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2021 10:42

optodata
[Post New]
Quote My 9:16 play horizontally in VLC but play correctly in WMP Win 10.

Does the same thing happen with the project I shared? If so, try disabling hardware acceleration when producing and maybe upload the produced clip here using the Attachments button below the forum's text box if the problem continues.
keithwjones [Avatar]
[Post New]

Does the same thing happen with the project I shared?

Yes
[Thumb - vlc.jpg]
 Filename
vlc.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
260 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Is that the clip you produced from my project or is it the Produced 9_16 clip.mp4 I put in that folder? If it only happens with the clip you produced, can you please attach the produced clip as I described in my last post?

Here's what I see on my Win11 system with VLC, Movies & TV amd WMP:

keithwjones [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Is that the clip you produced from my project or is it the Produced 9_16 clip.mp4

I used the 2 clips you gave. Produced and PXL both did the same.

Presume setting on VLC, but not sure which one. So I use WMP Win 10 which plays fine.

Keith

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2021 14:00

optodata
[Post New]
In VLC go to Tools | Preferences and click on this button:

If you're not running V3.0.16, there's also an option to reset everything when you run the new version's installer.
keithwjones [Avatar]
[Post New]
VLC V3.0.16

Thank you. That corrected it.

Keith