Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Automatic heartbeat detection does not match strongest beat
PabloMontini [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2018 15:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all!

When I use Automatic Beat Detection, the clip markers appear offset respect the strongest beats. Why?

See the image attached
Thank in advance
[Thumb - BeatDetection.jpg]
 Filename
BeatDetection.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Beat Detection Offset
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all!

When I use Automatic Beat Detection, the clip markers appear offset respect the strongest beats. Why?

See the image attached
Thank in advance

Hi,

I've tried experimenting with several audio files from simple bass beats to more complex audio but I do get variable results as to the visual accuracy of the markers and occasionally the number of markers. The minimum time slider does affect the function and is worth adjusting but overall I have found the function to be too variable to be reliable.

It may also be a question of computer lag coming into play but it would be worth raising a ticket with CS and see what they can come up with.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pablo -

I totally agree with PowerDirector Moderator on this. Automatic Beat Detection is inconsistent.

Like PDM, I've tested a variety of music and generally get results I have to tweak back in the main timeline.

Here's a packed project containing 6 pieces of music with distinctive beats. You'll see on the timeline how the beat has beeen interpreted. Often, with auto detection, it gets into a correct pattern then skips a beat. Not sure why. Personally, I'd be happier if it took its time & did a better job. Check out the attached screenshot (from the packed project). Also attached is the BPM analysis of each track.

There's always the manual marker option...

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR_Beat Detection.png]
 Filename
PDR_Beat Detection.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - BPM Analysis.png]
 Filename
BPM Analysis.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Having a marker at every beat makes no sense. Better is to get a marker at every measure, for example every 4 beats.
A 120 bpm song would have a beat marker every 0.5 second, better would be to have a marker after every 4 beats, means every 2 seconds. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
I just use manual beat markers and cal it a day. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
PabloMontini [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

I've tried experimenting with several audio files from simple bass beats to more complex audio but I do get variable results as to the visual accuracy of the markers and occasionally the number of markers. The minimum time slider does affect the function and is worth adjusting but overall I have found the function to be too variable to be reliable.

It may also be a question of computer lag coming into play but it would be worth raising a ticket with CS and see what they can come up with.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

Hi PDM, I've raised a ticket:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/service/inquiry-response-page.do?pId=CS002435521&m=beec090c3b9d4ac51d1856fb45ee51fd

because I want to know if the offset between AutoBeatMarker and strogest beats is caused for the inconsistent algorithm or for my PC´s hardware.

Thanks again!
Attached: sample music and screenshot
 Filename
The Awakening - Patrick Patrikios.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Sample music
 Filesize
3388 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)
[Thumb - AutoBeats Offset.jpg]
 Filename
AutoBeats Offset.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot showing offset
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote because I want to know if the offset between AutoBeatMarker and strogest beats is caused for the inconsistent algorithm or for my PC´s hardware.

I very much doubt the offset has anything to do with your PC's hardware. You can simply use ynotfish's provided links and results to check that your PC results are the same. It almost appears you are associating beat with volume burst, but most beat detection involves sound pressure levels and frequency. As ynotfish pointed out, it appears significant shortcoming in PD's approach, that is often the compromise between speed and accuracy as computationally beat detection can be very involved depending on approach.

Jeff
PabloMontini [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Pablo -

I totally agree with PowerDirector Moderator on this. Automatic Beat Detection is inconsistent.

Like PDM, I've tested a variety of music and generally get results I have to tweak back in the main timeline.

Here's a packed project containing 6 pieces of music with distinctive beats. You'll see on the timeline how the beat has beeen interpreted. Often, with auto detection, it gets into a correct pattern then skips a beat. Not sure why. Personally, I'd be happier if it took its time & did a better job. Check out the attached screenshot (from the packed project). Also attached is the BPM analysis of each track.

There's always the manual marker option...

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony, I´ve tested with your project and obtain almost the same you.
I´m a bit more calm knowing that my PC's hardware is not responsible of those inconsistency.

Attached you can see a comparison between Ynotfish's marks and mine.

Cheers
[Thumb - ynotfish vs pablo AutoBeatMarker.jpg]
 Filename
ynotfish vs pablo AutoBeatMarker.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Comparison
 Filesize
552 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)