Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 20 recent upload - Rendering
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2019 20:56 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I have a couple of editing computers that I switch back and forth with so I decided to upgrade to PD 20 with my 365 subscription. When I go to produce a file I am now seeing a pop up at the bottom right that says rendering and gives a percentage of completion status bar. I have tried all of the settings I know but it is making it crawl. THe current 4 minute and 11 second clip is taking 5 or 6 hours to produce when before it would take 10 minutes at most depending on how complicated the project.

Is there a setting I have off maybe? I do not watch it real time while it is producing.

Just hoping it is a common problem and someone can tell me something silly I have done.

As soon as this project is finished I will jump back to my old computer and use it but it is slightly slower than the newer model I am having these issues with.

Thanks as always to anyone who can assist. I have fought with this for a week trying everything I can think of.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
At some point you must have clicked OK on a pop-up message about pre-rendering your timeline content.

You can avoid this in the future by keeping the timeline preview resolution at Full HD or lower (do not select Ultra HD), and you can clear the current setting by unchecking this option:

Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote At some point you must have clicked OK on a pop-up message about pre-rendering your timeline content.

You can avoid this in the future by keeping the timeline preview resolution at Full HD or lower (do not select Ultra HD), and you can clear the current setting by unchecking this option:

You are exactly right as always as I did check that popup by mistake. I wasn't sure if the popup was the problem becuase I didn't see any preview while the file was producing but didn't know how to fix it. I have made the changes you suggested and it appears to have solved the problem. So very thankful sir.
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote At some point you must have clicked OK on a pop-up message about pre-rendering your timeline content.

It appears it is back! I went in and checked and the option you mentioned is not checked. I have noticed something else that is odd. When I click produce the 4:11 clip jumps really fast initially and goes to 2% and then the time indicator is very sporatic. Meaning it seems to update in sporatic bursts. It will run about 6 frames and then pause and then run 4 frames and then ... CPU is only running at 15% and my GPU is 2%. (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI) I have shut down and rebooted. I am back to taking several hours to produce a 4 minute video. I can open a ticket with Cyberlink if you think that is best. I just know the response time from them isn't the greatest and was hoping this might be something common like the last error I made by checking the popup.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have you set the timeline preview resolution to Full HD?

You may also want to close PD then reopen it without a project (or create a new project if it's set to always reopen the previous project). Clear all the temporary files (Preferences | General | Manually Delete | Select All | Delete Selected Files | OK). Close PD then repopen your project an see how it behaves.

I don't think the producing behavior is related. How quickly PD produces each section of the timeline is completely dependent on the specific types of edits you've made there.

You can check the Enable preview during production box at the lower left of the Produce page and see where the slowdowns are happening. That should show you which kinds of edits require more processing than others. Transistions, color replacement, certain FX and anything using AI will always take more processing.

If your project is very simple with only trims and a few titles then you may need to update your video driver. Please see the Read Me Before Posting guide to run the DxDiag test and share the results here.

Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Have you set the timeline preview resolution to Full HD?

You may also want to close PD then reopen it without a project (or create a new project if it's set to always reopen the previous project). Clear all the temporary files (Preferences | General | Manually Delete | Select All | Delete Selected Files | OK). Close PD then repopen your project an see how it behaves.

I don't think the producing behavior is related. How quickly PD produces each section of the timeline is completely dependent on the specific types of edits you've made there.

You can check the Enable preview during production box at the lower left of the Produce page and see where the slowdowns are happening. That should show you which kinds of edits require more processing than others. Transistions, color replacement, certain FX and anything using AI will always take more processing.

If your project is very simple with only trims and a few titles then you may need to update your video driver. Please see the Read Me Before Posting guide to run the DxDiag test and share the results here.

OK I believe I have my latest project almost produced. (It is taking almost 2 hours for a 4 minute clip so as soon as it is finished I have new projects to start so I will close it all down and start from scratch. Just so I understand correctly what is the relation of the timeline preview resolution to producing? I have to run the timeline at HD Preview Resolution most times during editing because I have 7 Ultra HD streams to avoid lag. I then create my thumbnail in PD by getting the title and video snapshot together which means at the end I usually change the preview to Ultra HD and take a snapshot. Then I immediately change it back to HD Preview. But just want to understand how the preview resolution has an effect on producing. I am not too old to learn something new everyday sir. I will reply back with the DxDiag test as soon as it is finished producing.
optodata
[Post New]
There is zero relationship between preview resolution and producing quality. They are 100% independent of the other.

It sounds like you're using preview resolution exactly in the right way, so no need to learn anything on that front

2 hours for a 4 minute clip implies a gawdawful amount of computation needed to to produce it. Can you list the kinds of edits you've made, and maybe share a screenshot of your timeline when the producing's done?
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There is zero relationship between preview resolution and producing quality. They are 100% independent of the other.

It sounds like you're using preview resolution exactly in the right way, so no need to learn anything on that front

2 hours for a 4 minute clip implies a gawdawful amount of computation needed to to produce it. Can you list the kinds of edits you've made, and maybe share a screenshot of your timeline when the producing's done?

It is finished and now appears to have a few flashes in the finished video. Just flashes to a black screen but it happens so fast it almost looks like a camera flash. That isn't normal so something else is going on for sure. I have attached the DxDiag and snip of my timeline as requested. I copied all of the files to a jumpdrive and tried to finish the video on my old computer but since it is still at PD19 it wouldn't let me finish a product started on PD20.

I can't imagine my timeline is very complex other than the multiple 4K streams. Just a title and a logo with a few fades at the beginning and end. I suspect it is somehow my setup as this is a new to me used computer. If it helps I am copying the unlisted Youtube link to the video I am trying to finish as well. I have made probably 50 videos with PD so it isn't exactly my first rodeo but I am stumped at the moment. Always appreciate the time and expertise you give us here sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP1G55myfjE
 Filename
Dennis Computer 2 DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
121 time(s)
[Thumb - Haggard Snip for Optodata.PNG]
 Filename
Haggard Snip for Optodata.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1201 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't imagine my timeline is very complex other than the multiple 4K streams. Just a title and a logo with a few fades at the beginning and end.

What Fix / Enhance features did you apply, the black little i at the clip start. Move the mouse over it, stabilize by chance?

Jeff
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]

What Fix / Enhance features did you apply, the black little i at the clip start. Move the mouse over it, stabilize by chance?

Jeff

Oh good eye! Although I have the full suite of programs I don't usually use them. All of the 4 Zoom cameras are stationary so it is usually just color correcting inside PD. (Sharpening, exposure, vibrancy etc) A few of the handhelds do have about 30% stabilization on them.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Oh good eye! Although I have the full suite of programs I don't usually use them. All of the 4 Zoom cameras are stationary so it is usually just color correcting inside PD. (Sharpening, exposure, vibrancy etc) A few of the handhelds do have about 30% stabilization on them.

The stabilize is more than likely the source of the long encode times. You have made the already large CPU challenge of stabilize rather inefficient. You didn’t include your whole edit timeline but it looks as if you are controlling what’s displayed with opacity. As such, all x tracks and full-time duration needs to be stabilized even though you only are displaying effectively one track at a time. From the scrubber position, it does not appear that you have any PIP’s.

Jeff
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]

The stabilize is more than likely the source of the long encode times. You have made the already large CPU challenge of stabilize rather inefficient. You didn’t include your whole edit timeline but it looks as if you are controlling what’s displayed with opacity. As such, all x tracks and full-time duration needs to be stabilized even though you only are displaying effectively one track at a time. From the scrubber position, it does not appear that you have any PIP’s.

Jeff

Thanks for the insight Jeff. I agree the stabilize will slow it down for sure. The problem has to be this new computer setup I believe. Hopefully the DxDiag info will help Optodata give me a few pointers. These are the exact same cameras that I have been editing on my other computer with the exact same processor (Different GPU and only 16gb memory on the new computer) and it would do it in 15 minutes. If I have to go back to the old computer I can but was just hoping the new computer would be able to also run PD. I also upscale videos with Topaz Video Enhance so this new computer could help with that. It is significantly faster handling that so I just figured it would be faster with PD as well.
Shakeyleg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Optodata! Just checking back with you to see if you saw my uploads and might can shed some light on why my new system is so much slower than my old one. I was able to transfer the files back to the older slower computer and finish my project. Was just hoping there was a simple fix for the new one. I uploaded the dxdiag as you suggested.

optodata
[Post New]
I don't see anything significant in the test results, but if there's a significant difference in producing times between this machine and another one you might want to take some extra diagnostic and repair steps.

First, run the two commands exactly as described in this post. There are a number of program crashes at the end of the report and they indicate deeper system issues that can sometimes impact PD's performance.

Once those are complete, download the latest Studio or Game Ready driver from nVidia and do a clean installation as described as the second step here.

Let us know how it goes!