Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I get a refund?
SqueezePickles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2021 10:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I bought PowerDVD 21 Ultra and it will not play any Blu rays. Every single one I've tried says it's corrupt. DVDs are playing fine. I just want a refund. This has been a headache.
whirlpool0548 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2012 19:13 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I bought PowerDVD 21 Ultra and it will not play any Blu rays. Every single one I've tried says it's corrupt. DVDs are playing fine. I just want a refund. This has been a headache.

You won't get an answer on the Community Forum, you need to contact Cyberlink, but they will probably want dxdiag logs etc.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
If the disc is fine, did you check your blu-ray drive's condition?
It can read and play DVDs doesn't neccessarily mean its blu-ray DRM function works.

To contact cyberlink, you can go to their supprt center:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html
SqueezePickles [Avatar]
[Post New]

You won't get an answer on the Community Forum, you need to contact Cyberlink, but they will probably want dxdiag logs etc.

I contacted them by email. Thanks. Let's hope this isn't a pain in the butt. I get the feeling it will be though.

Quote If the disc is fine, did you check your blu-ray drive's condition?
It can read and play DVDs doesn't neccessarily mean its blu-ray DRM function works.

To contact cyberlink, you can go to their supprt center:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

The drive is fine. I just tried VLC + MakeMKV and it plays back just fine. Also on my other PC the free trial of PowerDVD played just fine with the same drives/discs.
whirlpool0548 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I contacted them by email. Thanks. Let's hope this isn't a pain in the butt. I get the feeling it will be though.

The drive is fine. I just tried VLC + MakeMKV and it plays back just fine. Also on my other PC the free trial of PowerDVD played just fine with the same drives/discs.

Are you getting this...."error message: Cyberlink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted"

If another machine worked with the trial version, same discs, same drive, that indicates (possibly) something not up to date on the machine you are currently running on. Things to check....Java up to date, display drivers, PowerDVD updates, firewall blocking etc...
SqueezePickles [Avatar]
[Post New]

Are you getting this...."error message: Cyberlink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted"

If another machine worked with the trial version, same discs, same drive, that indicates (possibly) something not up to date on the machine you are currently running on. Things to check....Java up to date, display drivers, PowerDVD updates, firewall blocking etc...

I checked all of that already. It's all fine. I installed the lastest Java, my graphics drivers were already up to date because it's a gaming PC, PowerDVD didn't say it had any updates ready in the settings, the firewall wasn't blocking it (by default), etc etc. That was the error I was getting though. What's funny is my other PC doesn't even have Java installed and it plays fine. Really I shouldn't really have to go through all this. For $70 (on sale) it should just work. It's funny because VLC + MakeMKV is free and it works better. (You can use MakeMKV's trial as long as you like. You just need to paste the latest beta code from their site every month.) It's cheaper outright as well. ($60) I just got a refund. It should be: Put disc in. Movie starts playing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2021 17:31

whirlpool0548 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I checked all of that already. It's all fine. I installed the lastest Java, my graphics drivers were already up to date because it's a gaming PC, PowerDVD didn't say it had any updates ready in the settings, the firewall wasn't blocking it (by default), etc etc. That was the error I was getting though. What's funny is my other PC doesn't even have Java installed and it plays fine. Really I shouldn't really have to go through all this. For $70 (on sale) it should just work. It's funny because VLC + MakeMKV is free and it works better. (You can use MakeMKV's trial as long as you like. You just need to paste the latest beta code from their site every month.) It's cheaper outright as well. ($60) I just got a refund. It should be: Put disc in. Movie starts playing.

VLC + MakeMKV isn't subject to the same DRM issues as playback using PowerDVD. Cyberlink's blu-Ray Advisor might show if there's an issue with playing blu-Ray.
I also recently bought PowerDVD 21 Ultra. It took Cyberlink some time and a lot of tickets to sort out an issue I was having with UHD 4K blu-Ray playback on my new coffee lake machine. It was a problem with their server. But HD blu-Ray playback should just work.
That error message gets mentioned a few times in posts on the web and it is to do with something not up to date on the machine. I agree it's a lot if effort for the price and support isn't great. I know you've probably tried it, but have you uninstalled (
don't save settings) then reinstalled ?

I found this on another post with the same error
Possible Solution:
1. Update your software .......I know you've checked this bit already
2. Delete the cache file under user's appdata:
C:\Users\(USER_NAME)\AppData\Local\CyberLink\PowerDVD15\cache
3. Reinstall PDVD without keeping user settings

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2021 03:24