Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Correcting Old VHS Digital Recording
Tyranidus7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2021 13:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have a recording of an old VHS that for 60% of the picture has correct color (if only faded but it is easily fixed with more saturation and hue and such). However, the top part of the video would periodically discolor to a more purple/magenta color and at random intervals.

I have attached a sample picture, I have been able to use multiple masks and color matching to lessen the discoloring though you can still tell in many scenes and can see some artifacting going on as the masks swap colors around. I am wondering if there is an easier way to have the masks pick out the colors like in color matching but then perhaps just sliding the hue and saturation so that the underlying color could be found rather than using a dozen or more color matching replacements?

And yes I did try to clean up the VHS as much as I could and did get a lot of improvement but the top of the video continued to be discolored so I believe it's a degradation of the tape itself.
[Thumb - Capture 1.png]
 Filename
Capture 1.png
[Disk]
 Description
Update with more vibrant colors and masks added
 Filesize
1413 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
31 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Original with Discoloration
 Filesize
2295 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
25 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2021 14:25

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Is this issue on the original tape when you watch it on TV?

What device and software did you use to digitize your tape?
Tyranidus7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2021 13:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is this issue on the original tape when you watch it on TV?

What device and software did you use to digitize your tape?

It is an issue on the original tape, it appears on the tv and I have tried a 2 VHS players and either get more problems with this being the best it appears. I have the player going into a converter to HDMI and then I have a simple HDMI recorder that works with all other inputs no other problems. I have also tried other tapes and the visuals are fine so seems this tape is just degrading.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
If the issue is on the original video, I'm not sure what to recommend. Sorry.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think your result looks very good and you'll probably need to keep masking and making similar corrections.

If you have any previous PD versions installed, you could try playing around with NewBlueFX Color Fixer Pro/Plus, Color Swap, Color Replace and Selective Color effects to see if you can minimize some of the required work. They're in the Video Essentials 5, VE 1, Essential Effects 2, EE 6 and VE 5 packs, respectively.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2021 22:27