Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pasting to open track automatically moves all other tracks like an "insert and move all tracks"
guardian522 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 20, 2021 23:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
After the last update for PowerDirector 20/Director Suite 365, whenever I copy a segment from one track and paste it to another track it will automatically "insert and move all tracks". It can be a totally unused track so it only gives me the one basic paste option but will still move everything else on other tracks. It never used to do this. I could always just paste something and not have things moving on me when I don't want them to. I've looked through the settings/preferences and can't figure out what is causing this.
Is this a bug in the new update that anyone else is experiencing? Is there some new setting I'm missing somewhere for default paste behavior?
The only ways I can work around this are to either:
1) lock every other track in place before pasting and then unlock them again, or
2) move to the very End of my project, paste it after everything else and drag it back to the place I want it.
Neither of these are very convenient when I have 10-30 tracks and project runtimes up to 3 hours long.
How can I get it to behave like it did before with just a simple "paste"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2021 21:40

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, that's not good. I see the same behavior and wonder if it was an intentional change on CL's part. It's possible that there's a new hidden setting that doesn't get properly set to a valid state.

I was playing around to see if there were any easier workarounds, and something I did stopped the issue from occuring and I can't get it to come back.

What I'd tried just before the problem disappeared was to manually add 2 A/V tracks below the lowest existing track (not just 1 new A/V track) and then I pasted a copied clip onto the lowest track.

I don't know if it was adding 2 tracks rather than one, or pasting on the lowest or 2nd lowest unused track, or maybe unintentionally adding 2 tracks above the lowest track and pasting the clip on one fo those, but suddenly it didn't matter where I pasted a clip into empty space as it no longer affected any clips on other tracks.

Try those steps and see if you can get the problem to go away. I can now close & restart PD without encountering the issue anymore and it would great to figure out what's going on so other people can restore normal operation and we can report the issue to be fixed.
guardian522 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 20, 2021 23:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm. I tried what you recommended but the issue persists.
I also tried fiddling with adding and deleting different amounts of tracks but sadly to no avail.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry that didn't help. Tomorrow I'll try it on my other computer to see if I can find a reliable way to get the issue to go away. Meanwhile I think you should report the issue directly to Cyberlink.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wow, that's not good. I see the same behavior and wonder if it was an intentional change on CL's part. It's possible that there's a new hidden setting that doesn't get properly set to a valid state.

My older PD20 2106 version appears to be normal with pasting in an open track, so maybe something new that occurred in the patched 365 version.

Jeff
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sorry that didn't help. Tomorrow I'll try it on my other computer to see if I can find a reliable way to get the issue to go away. Meanwhile I think you should report the issue directly to Cyberlink.

Hi,

PDR365 Business 20.0.2204.0

Can anyone test the following on their systems :

Copy a segment in any track using either ctrl-c or menu>copy (doesn't seem to make a difference??)

Past to any track using :

menu>paste - seems to insert and move as per OP

ctrl-v - seems to act "normally" and do an ordinary insert

Thanks,
PowerDirector Moderator
optodata
[Post New]
Good catch! Maybe that was the difference in my findings as I was trying all kinds of things.

On my main PC I can confirm that right-click/Paste moves all downstream tracks regardless of which track I'm pasting to while Ctrl+V has no ripple effect. This is also with the 2204 version of the standard PDR365.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

PDR365 Business 20.0.2204.0

Can anyone test the following on their systems :

Copy a segment in any track using either ctrl-c or menu>copy (doesn't seem to make a difference??)

Past to any track using :

menu>paste - seems to insert and move as per OP

ctrl-v - seems to act "normally" and do an ordinary insert

Thanks,
PowerDirector Moderator

Yes, my PD20 behaves as you state. However, CL totally decimated the Paste menu from PD19 so unknown what the intent should be.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Paste.png]
 Filename
PD19_Paste.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
386 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Yes, my PD20 behaves as you state. However, CL totally decimated the Paste menu from PD19 so unknown what the intent should be.

Jeff

Thanks guys, I'll pass it on and request confirmation of intended behaviour.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks guys, I'll pass it on and request confirmation of intended behaviour.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

It appears that they try to update the contents of the Paste menu depending what's on the timeline and where that content is located, but it really makes no sense to me on what options are presented. That's maybe why optodata observed some cases that appeared to work and thought he had some workaround.

Jeff