Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing/Playback video freeze, audio continues
Micheal49 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2019 12:42 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
There have been messages posted about this problem since PD10. It's driving me nuts. I can create videos (for YouTube, classroom use, etc.) easily enough without any problem. However, when trying to edit recorded video, the preview window and timeline freeze every 16- 20 seconds. Changing preferences, aspect ratio, preview quality, and other settings has had no effect (other than decreasing the time between freeze events).

Does anybody out there have a solution to this issue?

(DxDiag attached for your connivance)
 Filename
DxDiag20211007.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag txt
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Have no idea. Attaching the mediainfo of that recorded video can supply the details so that members can see what might be the problem. Attaching a 1 minute recording or link of a sample recording will allow others to test it.
Micheal49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Have no idea. Attaching the mediainfo of that recorded video can supply the details so that members can see what might be the problem. Attaching a 1 minute recording or link of a sample recording will allow others to test it.

Do not know what you mean by "the mediainfo". Can you give me some info on that, please?

If it helps... If I load the GoPro chapters into the editing timeline and just let it sit for ten or twelve minutes, the video freeze does not happen. Which is weird.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Do not know what you mean by "the mediainfo". Can you give me some info on that, please?

See this post.
Micheal49 [Avatar]
[Post New]

See this post.

That would be a HUGE File.

In the meantime, I finally got one video edited, but when I went to production, the preview showed the video sideways (twisted 90 degrees left).
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That would be a HUGE File.

In the meantime, I finally got one video edited, but when I went to production, the preview showed the video sideways (twisted 90 degrees left).

It's not HUGE as the file is not upload, just the header is read so file details can be loaded. Did you even try? If you are worried about it, did you download the app instead so you can share the video details?

More than likely your GoPro footage has a bitrate on the order of 45Mb/s or so and your computer system simply can't cope with real-time playback of such footage. The 10 minute lag you refer to is probably because you have shadow files activated, it is controlled with pref > General "Enable shadow file...." While being generated, an orange movie strip looking icon appears in the lower left corner of each HD clip in the media library, when shadow file generation is complete, the icon turns to green. Once complete, the timeline playback is of significantly lower bitrate requiring less demand on your computer.

Jeff
Micheal49 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It's not HUGE as the file is not upload, just the header is read so file details can be loaded. Did you even try? If you are worried about it, did you download the app instead so you can share the video details?

More than likely your GoPro footage has a bitrate on the order of 45Mb/s or so and your computer system simply can't cope with real-time playback of such footage. The 10 minute lag you refer to is probably because you have shadow files activated, it is controlled with pref > General "Enable shadow file...." While being generated, an orange movie strip looking icon appears in the lower left corner of each HD clip in the media library, when shadow file generation is complete, the icon turns to green. Once complete, the timeline playback is of significantly lower bitrate requiring less demand on your computer.

Jeff

Oh, carp. I tried to post a message with the properties info but somehow it did not post. I'll try it again with this msg.

I will give the shadow file change a shot. Somehow I doubt a Threadripper 1950 with 64GB RAM would have problems rendering a video. Also, it's not a ten minute lag... it's a video freeze every 16- 20 seconds. If I leave teh system idel for ten minutes or so, the video does not freeze.

Thanks much for your help, Jeff.
[Thumb - cyberlink.jpg]
 Filename
cyberlink.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
file properties general
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - cyberlink 2.jpg]
 Filename
cyberlink 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
file properties details
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Oh, carp. I tried to post a message with the properties info but somehow it did not post. I'll try it again with this msg.

I will give the shadow file change a shot. Somehow I doubt a Threadripper 1950 with 64GB RAM would have problems rendering a video. Also, it's not a ten minute lag... it's a video freeze every 16- 20 seconds. If I leave teh system idel for ten minutes or so, the video does not freeze.

Thanks much for your help, Jeff.

Those are basic windows properties of the file, they give only a partial view of what the video is. But as guessed, they do show a video total bitrate of ~45Mb/s as I had guessed.

The 10 minute lag for it to play properly is what I was guessing is the lag for these shadow files to be generated for your video. Did you look at the orange or green movie strip icon in the lower left corner to aid understanding what's going on? As described prior, once the 10 minute lag is complete and files generated, playback is a fraction of the bitrate and your system handles much easier without the freeze every 16 - 20 seconds as you state.

Jeff
Micheal49 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Those are basic windows properties of the file, they give only a partial view of what the video is. But as guessed, they do show a video total bitrate of ~45Mb/s as I had guessed.

The 10 minute lag for it to play properly is what I was guessing is the lag for these shadow files to be generated for your video. Did you look at the orange or green movie strip icon in the lower left corner to aid understanding what's going on? As described prior, once the 10 minute lag is complete and files generated, playback is a fraction of the bitrate and your system handles much easier without the freeze every 16 - 20 seconds as you state.

Jeff

Well, nice try, but it didn't work. Even with the ten minute wait, the problem is still there.

TechSupp has sent me a rather lengthy reply to my question with them. I'll go through their possible solutions and let you know if any of it works.

Thanks again.

M.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well, nice try, but it didn't work. Even with the ten minute wait, the problem is still there.

TechSupp has sent me a rather lengthy reply to my question with them. I'll go through their possible solutions and let you know if any of it works.

Thanks again.

M.

Post a pic of your entire PD editing interface so we can see what you are doing for some additional clues. Are you applying color correction, LUTS, or something similar to the timeline content?

Jeff
Micheal49 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Post a pic of your entire PD editing interface so we can see what you are doing for some additional clues. Are you applying color correction, LUTS, or something similar to the timeline content?

Jeff

Not applying color correction, LUTS, or anything like that. Check the attached, maybe that has some helpful info.
 Filename
GX040075.MP4_MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)