Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Background music in PDR20/365
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Continuation of previous thread, testing YouTube copyright claims for background music packs.

You'll be pleased to hear that the Dance Party music has been uploaded to YouTube without incident. No copyright claims. Nuffin.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Continuation of previous thread, testing YouTube copyright claims for background music packs.

You'll be pleased to hear that the Dance Party music has been uploaded to YouTube without incident. No copyright claims. Nuffin.

Cheers - Tony

Good day Tony,

Have you tested the "Jazz Cafe" that was released not long ago. I have a copyright claim on the "Memory Lane" clip.

I have actually had to appeal after my dispute.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hal -

Long time - no see! laughing

I quietly withdrew from my mission to test every background music track available in PDR365 because:

1. You Tube introduced copyright checker that occurs during the upload process (instant feedback), &

2. I was consistently getting zero copyright notifications from the background music packs.

So - I hadn't tested the Jazz Cafe pack. Prompted by your post, I have now.

You're right. One of the tracks - Memory Lane - was flagged by YouTube for copyright. I submitted a dispute, but haven't had a response yet.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, the claim has no effect on the channel/video. i.e. it's still up & playing.

Funny thing about the Jazz Cafe pack. Of the 10 tracks listed on the CL website, only 8 appear to be available in PDR365. 2 tracks aren't listed at all... 02. BGM - Hefti & 06. BGM - Playful Possibilities

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Memeory Lane YT Dispute.jpg]
 Filename
Memeory Lane YT Dispute.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
219 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Hal -

Long time - no see! laughing

I quietly withdrew from my mission to test every background music track available in PDR365 because:

1. You Tube introduced copyright checker that occurs during the upload process (instant feedback), &

2. I was consistently getting zero copyright notifications from the background music packs.

So - I hadn't tested the Jazz Cafe pack. Prompted by your post, I have now.

You're right. One of the tracks - Memory Lane - was flagged by YouTube for copyright. I submitted a dispute, but haven't had a response yet.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, the claim has no effect on the channel/video. i.e. it's still up & playing.

Funny thing about the Jazz Cafe pack. Of the 10 tracks listed on the CL website, only 8 appear to be available in PDR365. 2 tracks aren't listed at all... 02. BGM - Hefti & 06. BGM - Playful Possibilities

Cheers - Tony

Glad to see a response from you. That is the one that was flagged for sure. I dissputed the claim and the dispute was denied. I have submitted an appeal. I find it is a one sided thing. We actually have no way to readlly dispute the claims.

Since then I have found 2 old videos with claims related to a couple of the older Magic Music (SmartSound PD9) module. One of them is an 11 year old video. The strangest part of these claims is that they are omly targeting a portion of the Magic Music tune. One was 11 seconds in the middle of a 2.5 minute segment, (this claim was dropped on disute). The other one is a 1:13 [portion, at the staart of a 7:11 Magic Music selection. This dispute was denied, so I covered that portion with music from YouTube.

This copright thing is getting out of hand. It seems that anyone can make a claim and you are guilty unless you give up a couple pints of red liquid (not wine). No way to ask how the claim was determined. It is the principle of it that gets me. Seeing the words "copyright claim" next to a video that was clean (tends to make the creator look shady). Even the 'Memory Lane' above was not flagged on upload.

Anyway, it is great to hear from old (not your age) friends.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It's typically very straightforward to getting a copyright claim from SmartSound resolved.

Usually the claimant is working with AdRev, and often there are both protected and licensed versions of the same song and the only thing you need to do is fill out the resolution form here. Include in the description that you have purchased the track from SmartSound or you're using a track that was included with a PD license and the claim should be released within 1 day.
HalCon
[Post New]
Quote It's typically very straightforward to getting a copyright claim from SmartSound resolved.

Usually the claimant is working with AdRev, and often there are both protected and licensed versions of the same song and the only thing you need to do is fill out the resolution form here. Include in the description that you have purchased the track from SmartSound or you're using a track that was included with a PD license and the claim should be released within 1 day.

Thanks for the reply Optodata,

I gave that information on the dispute form. Of 2 claims 1 was dropped (it was an 11 second section of a 2:11 sound clip) In my mind a stupid claim to start with after the video in question had been up on YouTube for more than 10 years..

The second dispute was denied, so the claim remained, (It was a 1:31 minute section of a 7:11 clip. Using Smart sound from PD9) Uploaded in 2011. Again, only part of the music clip was tagged.

The above 2 claims were made by "HAAWK for a 3rd Party" "On behalf of: Alex Khaskin"

This is what frustrates me. If it is a copyright ckaim it shoud be the complete clip not a small part of the musix clip. I do not have PD9 installed any more nor do I have access to SmartSound. I am not sure that I have the original project anymore either. I have been through more than 1 computer replacement since 2011.

The latest claim is on a video created in PD 365 using a Background music. I gave the information but my dispute was denied, so the claim stands. I have appealed that one with the info required. If the appeal is denied then I get a copyright strike.

There is no way to know how an appeal will go because there is a one way decision. The claiment has all the say. No 3rd person referee, so to say. HAWWK's word agains mine and I have no say in the outcome, only HAWWK has a say without having to give me any proof of their claim..

That is my vent for the week. Sorry for rambling.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2022 19:05

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There isn't any need to have access to the original project, although that would tell you the specific name and mix of the clip in question Take a look at the SmartSound license page for more info.

I completely understand how frustrating it is to comply with the license terms and then to suddenly have an unwarranted claim appear. It's happened several times to me, often many years after I uploaded that particular video.

However, the claim isn't a copyright strike against your account and it doesn't affect your YouTube reputation, so unless your channel is monetized, you aren't actually being impacted unless they've decided to block the video or restrict the viewing region and some of your audience can't watch it anymore.

In my opinion, this is a very annoying situation that is clearly stacked against us creators, but overall it may not be worth spending any more time or effort on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2022 19:48

HalCon
[Post New]
Quote However, the claim isn't a copyright strike against your account and it doesn't affect your YouTube reputation, so unless your channel is monetized, you aren't actually being impacted unless they've decided to block the video or restrict the viewing region and some of your audience can't watch it anymore.

Optodata,

I have appealed the claim on the PD365 video. In the process for the appeal you are warned that if the appeal is denied by the claimant then you would likely get a copyright strike. The appeal comes after the dispute.

Again, my only complaint about the whole thing is that no one, other than the claimant, has a say in the outcome, unless you are prepared to take the matter into court. There is no 3rd party adjudicator that looks at the claim to make a decision.

My last post on this topic as it is more a Youtube issue than a Cyberlink issue. We can move on to more pressing things.

Hal
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Hal & optodata -

I've still had no response to my disputed claim for Memory Lane from Jazz Cafe.

The tracks from the Travel & Vacation pack have been uploaded to YouTube with no issues during the initial check stage.

Cheers - Tony
HalCon
[Post New]
Quote Hi Hal & optodata -

I've still had no response to my disputed claim for Memory Lane from Jazz Cafe.

The tracks from the Travel & Vacation pack have been uploaded to YouTube with no issues during the initial check stage.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony.

As I mentioned earlier, my dispute was turned down and I proceeded with the appeal process. No answer on that yet either.

Good to hear from you.

My YouTube
ynotfish
[Post New]
All the tracks from the Easter Music for Kids pack have been uploaded to YouTube, with no copyright claims being made.

Cheers - Tony
MASTERTHENEC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2022 12:37 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings,

Well I can tell you I received such a strike from the following...See the link. Very disappointed in Power Director 365 as they sell you on the royalty-free music only to get STRIKES logged against you for using the content you pay for.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bpjghxhCX6FQf98Squ3eL077ZUFUuuaN/view?usp=sharing
optodata
[Post New]
In my experience it has nothing to do with Cyberlink and everythign to do with the fact that many composers have multiple licenses for their songs. In the majority of the claims a 3rd party made against videos I put on YouTube, the bot was making the claim on the royalty-free song I was using because there was a non-royalty-free version of the exact same song out there.

The only recourse is to prove that you have a license for the royalty free version, and sadly that puts everyone who is trying to do the right thing in a bind as we're essentially guilty until we can prove our innocence. I once even lost a claim because the "royalty free" songs I downloaded from Amazon were NOT licensed to be downloaded(!) so I could not provide any proof that I had a right to use them
MASTERTHENEC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In my experience it has nothing to do with Cyberlink and everythign to do with the fact that many composers have multiple licenses for their songs. In the majority of the claims a 3rd party made against videos I put on YouTube, the bot was making the claim on the royalty-free song I was using because there was a non-royalty-free version of the exact same song out there.

The only recourse is to prove that you have a license for the royalty free version, and sadly that puts everyone who is trying to do the right thing in a bind as we're essentially guilty until we can prove our innocence. I once even lost a claim because the "royalty free" songs I downloaded from Amazon were NOT licensed to be downloaded(!) so I could not provide any proof that I had a right to use them

Thanks...I guess my "RUB" is that before advertising such a "MAMOUTH" royalty-free music ad for the purchase of Power Director 365 you would think Cyber Link would do their due diligence as again they are making money off the purchases. It should not be a burden for them, it should be a requirement for them to validate all content they make available as part of the program we purchase is my only grief.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote It should not be a burden for them, it should be a requirement for them to validate all content they make available as part of the program we purchase is my only grief.

Again, I have no doubt that the royalty-free music that CL is providing subscribers is properly licensed, but there's no way to differentiate between a licensed and unlicensed version of the same song and YouTube's bots are always going to be making claims whenever they find a match to any unlicensed song.

It's very frustrating!
MASTERTHENEC [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE - Upon appeal of the Copyright Claim, They agreed and removed the claim after their original dispute.
HalCon
[Post New]
Quote UPDATE - Upon appeal of the Copyright Claim, They agreed and removed the claim after their original dispute.

Good to hear yours is settled.

I am still waiting on mine.

Hal
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Hal et al -

The copyright claim on "Memory Lane" from the Jazz Cafe pack has been released. I'm a bit slow because it was released on 1 July!embarassed

Cheers - Tony
HalCon
[Post New]
Quote Hi Hal et al -

The copyright claim on "Memory Lane" from the Jazz Cafe pack has been released. I'm a bit slow because it was released on 1 July!embarassed

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the heads up Tont,

The copyright claim is still showing on my youtube page.

As I posted above, I have appealed the dispute denial, but still have the notice on my video.

My YouTube
HalCon
[Post New]

Thanks for the heads up Tont,

The copyright claim is still showing on my youtube page.

As I posted above, I have appealed the dispute denial, but still have the notice on my video.

Hal

The 'Memory Lane', claim has expired on my recent video.

My YouTube channel is clean again.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion.

My YouTube