Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Accessing Shutterstock Content From Your PC
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
There have been previous posts on the forum sharing the location of the donwloaded Shutterstock content. I decided to share the location in a video I made about using Shutterstock content. I ended up receiving a copyright strike on that video. My contacts at CyberLink think I received the strike due to accessing the Shutterstock content from my PC which is a violation of the EULA. Keep in mind, this is not a copyright violation but that's a conversation for another day. According to CyberLink the EULA states:

You shall not do the following:

- download or otherwise access the raw Shutterstock Content data files outside of the SOFTWARE

Going to the folder location of the Shutterstock images, videos, or music would therefore be a violation of the EULA. I thought I should share this information to help others avoid what I'm going through. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've seen your related posts but the explanation CL gave doesn't hold much water unless there are some significant details missing.

For example, how could YouTube possibly know that you accessed the Shutterstock content outside of PD?

Obviously the license allows you to access and embed that content in videos that are produced by PD, but unless you used specific CL/SS content in a video showing how to use a completely different editor (like Resolve or Vegas), how could they determine you'd violated the license terms? How would they even know what the terms are?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2021 18:43

Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've seen your related posts but the explanation CL gave doesn't hold much water unless there are some significant details missing.

For example, how could YouTube possibly know that you accessed the Shutterstock content outside of PD?

Obviously the license allows you to access and embed that content in videos that are produced by PD, but unless you used specific CL/SS content in a video showing how to use a completely different editor (like Resolve or Vegas), how could they determine you'd violated the license terms? How would they even know what the terms are?

IMHO YouTube has no idea what's going on. Shutterstock requested the copyright takedown strike on my video. As I previously stated it wasn't even a copyright situation, it was an EULA violation.

To your point, in most cases CyberLink and Shutterstock would not even know if someone else used the content in another program, but they didn't have to prove that in my case. They only had to prove that I accessed the content outside of the software which I showed in the video. Once again, that isn't copyright infringement.
(Can you tell that part bothers me a bit?) sealed

My intent here is to make sure the forum is not in violation of the EULA as multiple posts here do the same thing I did in the video...show users how to access of the files outside the software.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2021 07:42

killertomato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2018 22:23 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There have been previous posts on the forum sharing the location of the donwloaded Shutterstock content. I decided to share the location in a video I made about using Shutterstock content. I ended up receiving a copyright strike on that video. My contacts at CyberLink think I received the strike due to accessing the Shutterstock content from my PC which is a violation of the EULA. Keep in mind, this is not a copyright violation but that's a conversation for another day. According to CyberLink the EULA states:

You shall not do the following:
- download or otherwise access the raw Shutterstock Content data files outside of the SOFTWARE

Going to the folder location of the Shutterstock images, videos, or music would therefore be a violation of the EULA. I thought I should share this information to help others avoid what I'm going through.

That is really dirty on their part to even put forth that strike (and confusing as to why YT which manually reviews strikes even allowed it).

• So how is Shutterstock to even know you're a PD subscriber when you use their content on Youtube? They have nothing to link our channels to our subscriptions (which is scary for any monetized channels who may get strikes). There are no attribution requirements for users to put in their descriptions which seems like a potential oversight.

• What's to stop users from doing screen grabs from within PD and exporting images, rendering clips etc then using them in other software? How on earth would Shutterstock know their content was used outside of PD?

As appealing as this libraries are, as a full-time Youtuber I'm very conflicted if it's even worth using the Shutterstock/Getty content which we are paying for and should be able to use in monetized content. Also what happens if their deal with PD ends, can they go back and retroactively strrike all the videos that incorporate their goods? The wording on the EULA is so vague...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2021 10:08

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This is weird. I subscribed to the channel and received no notification at all from YouTube. It is as if this tutorial got immediately reviewed and may not have posted on YT even for a few minutes. See less than desirable content permitted on YT all the time.
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This is weird. I subscribed to the channel and received no notification at all from YouTube. It is as if this tutorial got immediately reviewed and may not have posted on YT even for a few minutes. See less than desirable content permitted on YT all the time.

Hi Tomas.

Unfortunately lots of my subscribers tell me that they don't receive notifications from YouTube when my videos are published. Even with notifications turned on. Go figure.

The video was published on August 28, 2021. It started taking off a few weeks ago. Then I received the copyright strike. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Got a link in my email. One can download some Shutterstock assets for use in your projects without signing up and can place them in any folder on the pc. Here is a link from the shutterstock website. It is a 1 GB download.: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/?s=free+halloween+backgrounds .
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Got a link in my email. One can download some Shutterstock assets for use in your projects without signing up and can place them in any folder on the pc. Here is a link from the shutterstock website. It is a 1 GB download.: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/?s=free+halloween+backgrounds .

Yep. Crazy that they'll allow if from their website "for free" but not from PowerDirector. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.