Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you change audio speed in PD20?
GrayedOut [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2020 13:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Since the update to PD20 I don't seem to be able to change Audio Speed (in Tools) to anything other than 1.0x to 10.0x - not able to use intermediate speeds like 2.33x or 1.5x - in PD19 this was possible - In PD20 it still says you can "keep audio pitch (0.1x to 10x only)" but you can't select anything but those ten settings!
This is possible if you change the speed of the video or both video and audio tracks together (This does not preserve audio pitch though,) but not possible if you just want to change just the audio speed, inexplicably!
This feature is crucial in most of my projects - Am I missing something?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2021 18:45

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think I've used the Audio Speed tool before. I've used the Video Speed tool plenty of times and it works as expected in the new PD365, but I see exactly what you're describing when it comes to an audio-only clip.

This looks like a bug to me, and it's also interesting that you can't type in a value in the Speed multiplier box. You can, however, type in a Modified audio length value and PD will set the slider and multiplier boxes to match, like this:

If you need to specify the clip's duration, this is the easiest way to go. If you'd normally set the slider or type in a multiplier, you'll need to calculate the modified length for each clip or go with trial & error to hone in on the ideal setting.

Please report the issue directly to CL from this page and be sure to include a link to this discussion so they can see what's happened here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2021 21:31

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
The handles available in the PD20 Audio Speed tool are less flexible as one could expect also in comparison with the Audio Duration feature of AudioDirector. The PD20 manual is very brief in its explanation, but is adds:
Note: you can also hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then click and drag the edge of an audio clip on the timeline to manually change its speed to fit your required duration.
With some brief tests I did, it becomes apparent that a) you can easily adjust the audio frame by frame to e.g., the end of a clip just by dragging the end of the audio clip as described. and b) it gives a reasonable result as long as duration change is not large. Large changes will give distortion of the sound.
It would be good to report the issue as optodata suggests. Obviously this tools needs some more work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2021 06:18

GrayedOut [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't think I've used the Audio Speed tool before. I've used the Video Speed tool plenty of times and it works as expected in the new PD365, but I see exactly what you're describing when it comes to an audio-only clip.

This looks like a bug to me, and it's also interesting that you can't type in a value in the Speed multiplier box. You can, however, type in a Modified audio length value and PD will set the slider and multiplier boxes to match, like this:

If you need to specify the clip's duration, this is the easiest way to go. If you'd normally set the slider or type in a multiplier, you'll need to calculate the modified length for each clip or go with trial & error to hone in on the ideal setting.

Please report the issue directly to CL from this page and be sure to include a link to this discussion so they can see what's happened here.

Thanks, I can work around this issue, but being able to type in the exact figure means it's a constant and uniform speed throughout the project! Thanks for confirming the issue and I will report it.
GrayedOut [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The handles available in the PD20 Audio Speed tool are less flexible as one could expect also in comparison with the Audio Duration feature of AudioDirector. The PD20 manual is very brief in its explanation, but is adds:
Note: you can also hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then click and drag the edge of an audio clip on the timeline to manually change its speed to fit your required duration.
With some brief tests I did, it becomes apparent that a) you can easily adjust the audio frame by frame to e.g., the end of a clip just by dragging the end of the audio clip as described. and b) it gives a reasonable result as long as duration change is not large. Large changes will give distortion of the sound.
It would be good to report the issue as optodata suggests. Obviously this tools needs some more work.

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I have tried to use the tip you mentioned above and generally it does work, but the issue I had with that, as you said, it can introduce distortions into the sound. Luckily it's not too much of an issue for me right now as I usually replace the audio on the most significant changes in speed. But something to be aware of...thanks again! I will report, indeed!
AlexNorton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2016 19:47 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I would also like to complain about this!

Previously I could just put my audio speed at 1.1 on all my audio files, and be constant about it, and it would NOT be distorted.

Now after playing around a little bit with it, there is no straight forward solution. If I play with the length of the audio, going from 1.09 to 1.1 chops a few second, so it's clear that some rounding is taking place behind the scenes. The sound is also distorted, it adds a slight reverb for some reason.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Since the update to PD20 I don't seem to be able to change Audio Speed (in Tools) to anything other than 1.0x to 10.0x - not able to use intermediate speeds like 2.33x or 1.5x - in PD19 this was possible

Not exactly, in PD19 one could not use a intermediate speed like 2.33x, you'd have to get that be changing the timecode. What PD19 did support was .05 increment changes from .50 - 1.00 and .1 increment change from 1.00 - 2.00 which appears to have been removed when the new pitch box was added. Obviously some more implementation bugs. If one brings in a PD19 pds file which had audio set to 1.3 factor, PD20 displays as such (pic attached) but you cannot tweak appropriately, the +/- adjustment would jump to a 0.9 or 2 to fit the new PD20 increments. Strange indeed.

One has never been able to type a speed factor in any version of PD I've had, always had to use timecode to achieve desired results.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD20_AudioSpeed.png]
 Filename
PD20_AudioSpeed.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
319 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2021 13:48

AlexNorton [Avatar]
[Post New]
[...]
One has never been able to type a speed factor in any version of PD I've had, always had to use timecode to achieve desired results.
Jeff

Myself to get from 1.00 to 1.10 I would use the +(plus) button. Never messed with the timecode.
AlexNorton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Small update: I have filed a support ticket with a feature request about including the old behavior back. And they have responded:

"For your concern and better user experience, we have escalated the suggestion to make the Audio speed slider adjustable speed as 1.10x, 1.20, etc., to our product team as a feature development reference."

Fingers crossed!
AlexNorton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update on this situation!

With the December update we have the smaller incrementations of audio speed, back!

Unfortunatelly the "Keep audio pitch" function is still broken. Even with a speed multiplier of 1.1 I get a distorted voice. Which didn't happen before the October update.

I have attached a screenshot, I hope it shows.
[Thumb - NewAudioSpeedSettings.jpg]
 Filename
NewAudioSpeedSettings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The keep audio pitch setting works perfectly at 1.1x on my system running the December update. Watch and listen to this example:

If that's not what you're experiencing, can you share the audio clip you're having trouble with? Use the Attachments button below the forum's text box so other members can test it on their systems.
AlexNorton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello optodata!

Thank you for taking the time to make a video about it! I can actually hear the distortion in your video as well, but it's not so obvious smile

Here is my small example:

I hope that by putting them one after the other, the difference is made more apparent.

I have also attached the sample used in this video.
 Filename
sample.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
883 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
I wasn't clear on what you'd originally meant by "distortion" but I clearly hear it in your sample.

To my ears, the issue is more obvious due to the relatively poor quality of the original clip, even though it appears to have come straight from an audio CD.

There's a mid-range fuzziness (like faint clipping) to every word in the narration and that becomes a more robotic sound when the clip is sped up and the pitch is kept. I don't hear it anywhere near as pronounced if the pitch is allowed to shift.

Interestingly, the same issue is present in the Audio Speed tool in AudioDirector365 but not in older versions of AD or PD. Listen to the attached sample from AD6 and you won't hear any robotic sounds.

I think you should report this issue to CL tech support from this page. Be sure to paste a link to this forum discussion so they can see everything that's happened so far.
 Filename
AD6 sample.WAV
[Disk]
 Description
1.1x speed with keep pitch from AD6
 Filesize
799 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
AlexNorton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello!

I have already submitted a ticket the day I did the update
Once they respond I'll be sure to also include a link to this conversation.

Thank you optodata for confirming this!