Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
With OpenCl on, many of the effects will crash the program after changing default settings
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I have not tested this with all effects in FX available, but many of them will crash the program as soon as you change one or more of the default settings. I have bumped into this when using the Chinese paintings 1 and 2, but many other give the same results. Now I had enabled the setting "enable OpenCL technology to speed up video effect preview..... " Disable this option will give no crashes.
I wonder whether others have the same experience...
Now looking at the number of errors, as suggested elsewhere: CL should improve on the testing before releasing a new version. I am sure that a number of experienced users from this forum are happy to help out.

[Cyberlink] Online Customer Support (QuestionID = CS002406385)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2021 06:26

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the details. The good(?) news is that this doesn't seem to be a universal issue because I can use both Chinese Painting FX normally. I can even apply them both to the same clip and change all the settings at will with Open CL enabled.

I tried this on my desktop (RTX 2070) and also on my Surface Pro 3 (set to use the Intel iGPU and also when set to use the GTX 1660Ti), so the issue might be due to something on your system or maybe just its particular OS/driver/hardware combination.

Can you share the DxDiag info you may have already sent in with your support request?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Good news Optodata. Thanks for looking into this.
I wonder whether I am the only one with this problem.....
I have checked all drivers and software and I run a very clean system, and stangly enough the system does not even report the crash in the event logs.
Did you try to change the mask of an effect.
For now I will run with the OpenCl disabled and wait for CL to respond.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I tried setting the mask and changed all settings several times. Here's a screenshot of both FX applied to one clip and each set to random values:
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good news Optodata. Thanks for looking into this.
I wonder whether I am the only one with this problem.....
I have checked all drivers and software and I run a very clean system, and stangly enough the system does not even report the crash in the event logs.
Did you try to change the mask of an effect.
For now I will run with the OpenCl disabled and wait for CL to respond.

Hi,

By way of confirmation, I'm running PDR365 Business 20.0.2160.0 and I have no issues with the FX. I can change all parameters with no crash.

It will be interesting to see what conclusions CL have on your issue.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI: CL support (good reaction time, thanks for that!) suggests me to update the drivers and to send more information. We will wait and see....
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
NVIDIA came with a new driver today. I have installed that (472.12) and I cannot reproduce the crash anymore.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote NVIDIA came with a new driver today. I have installed that (472.12) and I cannot reproduce the crash anymore.

I'm guessing the issue had nothing really at fault with Nvidia drivers and was probably more in CL court. I had a similar issue yrs back that appeared to only affect me with OpenCL, FX and crashing and your symptoms sound somewhat similar.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48096.page#post_box_251879

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Agreed!
I repeat me suggestion to CL to restart beta testing with a small and clever group of users...