Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Short Glitch after each edit UHD
MarkyM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2009 12:32 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm using 365 to do basic editing on videos from my Olympus EM1-MkII camera.
It is working very well except that I'm getting a short "glitch" after each edit point in the produced mp4 file. It seems to vary between about 3 to 6 seconds after the edit point. I don't notice it all the time and it depends on what's on the screen But it is there after most edits.
This only happens when editing 4K UHD video. I don't see it on 1080p HD video.
Any ideas how to fix?
Thanks!
--Mark--
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If using SVRT during encode, or hardware decoding in pref, you might try basic CPU de/encoding and see if that corrects the anomaly. If source files are variable frame rate, you might try converting to constant frame rate prior to editing of the same FPS you sre producing your edited video to.

Jeff
MarkyM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If using SVRT during encode, or hardware decoding in pref, you might try basic CPU de/encoding and see if that corrects the anomaly. If source files are variable frame rate, you might try converting to constant frame rate prior to editing of the same FPS you sre producing your edited video to.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I have a GForce RTX-2060 GPU so am using the NVIDIA NVENC. I will try a run with that turned off.

I'm pretty sure the only options in the camera for 4K are 24 & 30fps. I am using 30fps only. So there shouldn't be any variable frame rates.

--Mark--
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff,

I have a GForce RTX-2060 GPU so am using the NVIDIA NVENC. I will try a run with that turned off.

I'm pretty sure the only options in the camera for 4K are 24 & 30fps. I am using 30fps only. So there shouldn't be any variable frame rates.

--Mark--

Use MediaInfo to get some specifics of your source video and post text file here so we can see what you have. Your brief symptom description sounds very much inline with variable frame rate issue with PD. Since you were using NVENC to encode, also make sure hardware decoding is not checked in pref > Hardware Acceleration for your CPU produce trial fix.

Jeff
MarkyM [Avatar]
[Post New]

Use MediaInfo to get some specifics of your source video and post text file here so we can see what you have. Your brief symptom description sounds very much inline with variable frame rate issue with PD. Since you were using NVENC to encode, also make sure hardware decoding is not checked in pref > Hardware Acceleration for your CPU produce trial fix.

Jeff

Hi,

So the production with NVENC turned off is OK, without the glitches. Of course, it maxxed out my CPU and took much longer to render.

My Nvidia RTX-2060 (and earlier GTX-960) both did this. These cards are supposed to be supported, certainly take the load off the CPU and save a lot of time!

Here's the Mediainfo output for one of the original clips:

General
Complete name : E:\Camera\M1MarkII-2021\Video\P9065341.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 2011.07 (qt )
File size : 149 MiB
Duration : 12 s 513 ms
Overall bit rate : 99.7 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2021-09-06 11:52:26
Tagged date : UTC 2021-09-06 11:52:26
TAGS : p"R
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=8
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 97.9 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.394
Stream size : 146 MiB (98%)
Language : Japanese
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Menus : 0
Codec configuration box : avcC
Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : sowt
Source duration : 12 s 520 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 2.29 MiB (2%)
Source stream size : 2.29 MiB (2%)
Other
ID : 3
Type : Time code
Format : QuickTime TC
Bit rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Time code of first frame : 06:35:13;13
Time code, striped : Yes

Thanks,

--Mark--
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
You might try hardware decoding off in pref but then use NVENC for encoding. That at times is successful too and recovers some encode speed back. My experience is clips that PD hiccups on, other NVENC encoders work fine with similar high level settings, keep in mind there are several options not exposed to users. Yes, would be nice if CL addressed these anomalies but many been around for years.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another option would be to convert your MOV clips to MP4 using a free app like Handbrake, ffmpeg or VirtualDub2 and then try producing it with full HW acceleration in PD.

If you're comfortable sharing a sample clip, upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here and other people can see if they see the same issue on their systems. See this FAQ for more details.
MarkyM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might try hardware decoding off in pref but then use NVENC for encoding. That at times is successful too and recovers some encode speed back. My experience is clips that PD hiccups on, other NVENC encoders work fine with similar high level settings, keep in mind there are several options not exposed to users. Yes, would be nice if CL addressed these anomalies but many been around for years.

Jeff

Ha! I was hoping to avoid having to buy Adobe Premiere or other "pro" editing apps : PD does everything I need but I do need it to perform correctly.
MarkyM [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

It turns out that I was not running the current version of PD 365.

After the update to the "2021" version, it looks like they re-balanced the CPU vs. GPU usage when using Nvidia NVENC where there is a bit more CPU usage now vs. GPU. The time to produce the same project with the same settings took 15 min. vs. 10 min. previously but still not bad for a 45 min. UHD project. With Hardware decoding and NVENC off it takes over an hour. (CPU is a 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X)

But I digress...

The glitch appears to be gone!

I had not re-installed CL application Manager since I updated my PC hardware. That's running now so I should stay up to date going forward.

Thanks for your time!

--Mark--
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

It turns out that I was not running the current version of PD 365.

After the update to the "2021" version, it looks like they re-balanced the CPU vs. GPU usage when using Nvidia NVENC where there is a bit more CPU usage now vs. GPU. The time to produce the same project with the same settings took 15 min. vs. 10 min. previously but still not bad for a 45 min. UHD project. With Hardware decoding and NVENC off it takes over an hour. (CPU is a 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X)

But I digress...

The glitch appears to be gone!

I had not re-installed CL application Manager since I updated my PC hardware. That's running now so I should stay up to date going forward.

Thanks for your time!

--Mark--

Maybe a fix in the new release then, but I guess you give up NewBlue effects, prodad features, DTS audio import or export as license contract ended and not updated.

I kind of doubt the CPU/GPU load balance as it really doesn't work in much of a load share encode process. Might be something else though which causes the observed behavior.

Jeff
MarkyM [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe a fix in the new release then, but I guess you give up NewBlue effects, prodad features, DTS audio import or export as license contract ended and not updated.

I kind of doubt the CPU/GPU load balance as it really doesn't work in much of a load share encode process. Might be something else though which causes the observed behavior.

Jeff

I never used any of those features so no biggie for me.

In the previous version, there was very little CPU usage during production and very heavy GPU usage. Now there is definitely more CPU usage (but not maxxed-out). I didn't look in GPU-Z for the GPU usage. It takes a littlle bit longer to produce as I mentioned and the resulting file size is a little bit bigger as well.

I am very happy that this is resolved. I am in the process of re-producing all of the videos that had the problem. So far so good!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In the previous version, there was very little CPU usage during production and very heavy GPU usage. Now there is definitely more CPU usage (but not maxxed-out). I didn't look in GPU-Z for the GPU usage. It takes a littlle bit longer to produce as I mentioned and the resulting file size is a little bit bigger as well.

That to me sounds like a change in settings, possibly using CPU to decode since higher CPU load. For a quick check, 4K/60p, 50Mbps source video transcoded to 4K/30p 50Mbps for H.264 and 4k/30p 37Mbps for H.265.

GPU Encode
Load %

GPU Decode
Load %

CPU
Load %

Produce Time
sec

Overall Bitrate
Mbps

File Size
MB
PD19, H.264 60 65 10 66 48.9 761
PD20, H.264 60 65 9 66 48.9 761
PD19, H.265 100 42 7 100 35.6 554
PD20, H.265 100 42 7 101 35.6 553

Basically no difference between PD19 and PD20 for this simple comparison.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2021 20:05