Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
While idling PD CPU use @ 20%
[Post New]
After importing 7 15-20 min .MOV media clips into the media window, without moving any to the timeline. There was an initial surge in CPU use that remain high, for a very long time.

Now it has dropped to 22% where remains, while PD smile idles. In spite of this, the "Power usage" column keeps going into the red, or "very high".

Nothing else is running or using more than a small amount of CPU.

FYI I did reboot my machine

Is this something to do with the file type, I ask in spite of the fact that I haven't had problems with MOV files in the past, or is something else going on?

At this moment I have asked my IT provider to run a "tune-up" on my machine, just to r/o any System issues. Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You using shadow files?

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote You using shadow files?

Jeff

Thanks for responding.

My media files are .MOV; from my Canon, and mp4; from my cell.

What are Shadow files?

I tried an mp4 file from my camera and the same result. CPU processing remained low until I imported the mp4 file, at which point it shot to 50% with red flag Power usage, and remained there. I've done nothing and it's still hi.

When I added it to the timeline CPU shoots to 80%, and stays there. With that much processing going on playback is jerking and it's impossible to get any work done.

I have a Surface, with plenty of processing power. I used to run Pr Pro on it, but I've also run PD on it, with MOV files. This is new.

The Task Manager shows "PowerDirector19" but I'm using 365, is that relevant? Michael
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for responding.

My media files are .MOV; from my Canon, and mp4; from my cell.

What are Shadow files?

I tried an mp4 file from my camera and the same result. CPU processing remained low until I imported the mp4 file, at which point it shot to 50% with red flag Power usage, and remained there. I've done nothing and it's still hi.

When I added it to the timeline CPU shoots to 80%, and stays there. With that much processing going on playback is jerking and it's impossible to get any work done.

I have a Surface, with plenty of processing power. I used to run Pr Pro on it, but I've also run PD on it, with MOV files. This is new.

The Task Manager shows "PowerDirector19" but I'm using 365, is that relevant?

If you have shadow files enabled, "pref > General > Enable shadow files (proxy files) on high res videos", as soon as a video is placed in the media library that is of a given high resolution quality, PD activates a background process that starts to generate these files to aid a fluid playback when used in the timeline.

This process will consume CPU power until completed. Completion occurs when the orange movie strip icon in the lower left corner of a file in the media library turns to green.

When you add video to the timeline, another spike in CPU load will occur as the entire file is scrubbed to create the audio waveform, this too takes a little time depending on length of video, quality of video, and compute resources.

PowerDirector 19 is the product, 365 is a sales gimmick for the subscription based licensing model.

Jeff
[Post New]

If you have shadow files enabled, "pref > General > Enable shadow files (proxy files) on high res videos", as soon as a video is placed in the media library that is of a given high resolution quality, PD activates a background process that starts to generate these files to aid a fluid playback when used in the timeline.

This process will consume CPU power until completed. Completion occurs when the orange movie strip icon in the lower left corner of a file in the media library turns to green.

When you add video to the timeline, another spike in CPU load will occur as the entire file is scrubbed to create the audio waveform, this too takes a little time depending on length of video, quality of video, and compute resources.

PowerDirector 19 is the product, 365 is a sales gimmick for the subscription based licensing model.

Jeff
So this sounds like a "Preview Quality" issue? I will try setting it to "normal" and see what happens. Michael