Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help with YouTube Upload
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2009 19:29 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I'm really confused with how to best upload video to Youtube. To be clear, I know how to do so - I'm struggling with the file format issue. Here's the preferred format per Youtube's own site.

YouTube can accept almost any video format for upload, but for most users we have found the following settings give the best results.

* Video Format: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred
* Aspect Ratio: Native aspect ratio without letterboxing (examples: 4:3, 16:9)
* Resolution: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3) recommended
* Audio Format: MP3 or AAC preferred
* Frames per second: 30
* Maximum length: 10 minutes (we recommend 2-3 minutes)
* Maximum file size: 1 GB

So, could go mpeg - but my 8 minute video would be 400mg. I've read on this forum that the WMV/Youtube bitrate is too low for anything beyond stills. I've also read on this forum you can create a custom profile under AVC to use the MP4 extension - but my install only has a dropdown box with specific values (can't edit ro add your own). Finally, there's nowhere in the program that allows me to set 640x360 (only 640x480).

Is this because im using Deluxe, an older build - or just missing the boat here.

Thanks.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if this is available in the Delux version as I have the ultra version.

1. I found I can render to m2ts a version of mpeg4 but youtube chokes on the sound in my videos.

2. I tried the default PD youtube automatic upload but the quality is not good enough for my HD videos.

3. My solution was to render to .wmv standard quality 1280X720 was the best compromise.

By the way Vimeo handles the m2ts videos fine.

Cheers

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2009 04:30

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Bill-ATL,

I might suggest you do a search in the forum to get some more information regarding "How to create" additional Profiles with a higher quality output that you can upload to YouTube.

Try typing something like: "WMV Templates" and it will lead you to lots of questions previously answered about this subject.

Good Luck and Happy Editing!!

Cap'n Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Yup. You'll need to download the windows media Profile Editor and you can fix up profiles to your taste. Edit existing one's or create new profiles.

Yes, the canned profiles for WMV HD youtube are bitrate-starved and you should adjust them. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Here is the link to the Windows Media Profile Editor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Thanks OnTheWeb!! That is quite necessary to have that application!!

Kevin
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Updating the prx file only partially works - in that the new profile only appears in the YouTube and Facebook tabs. Whether you place the new prx file in the Cyberlink or the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\Settings folder - the .WMV section doesn't recognize the new template.

Has anyone gotten this to work in PD8? In case you where wondering, the reason its important to have it in this section is so that once all file are created, you can use Youtube's batch upload process (and go to sleep) instead of wait for each video to be uploaded individually.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,

Something from memory tells me its the way you name them, The youtube named protocol only appears on the youtube tab, the Windows media player appears in the wmv side???

Certainly my test of a new profile named as Windows media Video 9 adl appears in the .wmv drop down.

I'll try later on but maybe worth the experiment.???

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Haven't time this evening to figure out the exact protocol but if you follow the same naming pattern eg Youtube_4_3_adl then this profile appears in the Youtube tab drop down, same for .wmv tab.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2009 15:52

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Yes Sir vn800rider,

In the past I just renamed the new profile following the same naming pattern where I want the profile to appear in PD. I couldn't have said it better!!
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Haven't time this evening to figure out the exact protocol but if you follow the same naming pattern eg Youtube_4_3_adl then this profile appears in the Youtube tab drop down, same for .wmv tab.
Adrian

That's what I thought - but no dice on WMV side. I even deleted everything from the Cyberlink directory except the one I named and it still wouldn't show (pulled from mediaencoder dir). I've tried the following:

WMV9HDCustomYouTube.prx
WMV 9 HD Custom YouTube.prx
WMV 9 HD Standard Quality Bill -NTSC.prx

Strange

vn800rider
[Post New]
Sorry Bill, still stuck in something else. Have you tried playing with the custom, PAL and NTSC check boxes in the profile editor - something rings a bell about choices there???

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well what do you know - I tried "WMV 9 HD Standard Quality Bill - NTSC" and it worked. Seems the missing space between the dash and NTSC was the problem.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I found that out too.....spaces are important!! Glad to see you are making progress though!!

Kevin