Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tremendous Lag After getting plug ins
MarkB777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2020 17:56 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I have powedirector 365 for windows. I downloaded all of the effects, transitions, and templates that we are allowed to download and install. i have noticed that after doing so power director lags tremendously. This is when initially loading up aas well as in the timeline. I can barely work without the timeline freezxing for a portion before i edit and i have a VERY powerful editing system.

Ryzen 3950x
Titan X GPU
multiple SSD's
64gb ram

Does anyone else have this issue and is there any way to solve this?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are many reasons why PD might run slower than expected even on powerful systems like yours and mine. See this FAQ for more details. It would also help to see the DxDiag results as described at the end of the Read Me Before Posting guide.

Beyond that, having a screen recording showing how long things take to load and what your timeline content is might also help us see where the slowdown(s) might be coming from. You can directly upload a recording here up to 100MB in size by attaching it like the DxDiag results, otherwise upload it to YouTube and paste a link here.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are many reasons why PD might run slower than expected even on powerful systems like yours and mine. See this FAQ for more details. It would also help to see the DxDiag results as described at the end of the Read Me Before Posting guide.

Beyond that, having a screen recording showing how long things take to load and what your timeline content is might also help us see where the slowdown(s) might be coming from. You can directly upload a recording here up to 100MB in size by attaching it like the DxDiag results, otherwise upload it to YouTube and paste a link here.

Ok. Here they are.

This video (video b) is not as bad as another video that i was doing before (video A). I chose to use this one (B) because Power director made shadow files and the other video (A) is playing back fine now. In this sample, when i continue to edit (im playing around with this edit) it isn't an instant cut or playback. There is a lag. This is a download from youtube mp4 at 720p. The other video (A) was at 1080p. There was a slower delay even from the first cut.
 Filename
MB777 DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
122 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
178 time(s)
 Filename
20210717070253.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42278 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
66 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for both attachments. To be honest I don't see anything out of the ordinary - although I realize the lagging seen on this video is less than what you experienced when you first posted.

It often takes PD a second or two to incorporate new items on the timeline or to make the requested cuts, so on one hand you'll be less frustrated if you don't expect instantaneous responses to every edit. Some will be, just not all of them.

On the other hand, you can speed up the process somewhat by turning off continuous thumbnails (assuming you don't need them).

I assume you're working with 4K clips, and if speedy editing response is the most important issue for you, then it's probably worth using shadow files at the start and doing something else while PD creates them. You'll know they're ready when all the little yellow icons on the Media Library clips have turned green.

You may also want to make sure you've got the project frame rate set to match the highest fps clip you're working with, so 60 fps if you're working with both 60p and 30p clips.

Finally, your nVidia Titan X driver is a few months out of date. Try installing the 471.11 Studio Driver and check the nVidia site in a few days when a brand new version will likely be released.
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for both attachments. To be honest I don't see anything out of the ordinary - although I realize the lagging seen on this video is less than what you experienced when you first posted.

It often takes PD a second or two to incorporate new items on the timeline or to make the requested cuts, so on one hand you'll be less frustrated if you don't expect instantaneous responses to every edit. Some will be, just not all of them.

On the other hand, you can speed up the process somewhat by turning off continuous thumbnails (assuming you don't need them).

I assume you're working with 4K clips, and if speedy editing response is the most important issue for you, then it's probably worth using shadow files at the start and doing something else while PD creates them. You'll know they're ready when all the little yellow icons on the Media Library clips have turned green.

You may also want to make sure you've got the project frame rate set to match the highest fps clip you're working with, so 60 fps if you're working with both 60p and 30p clips.

Finally, your nVidia Titan X driver is a few months out of date. Try installing the 471.11 Studio Driver and check the nVidia site in a few days when a brand new version will likely be released.

To be honest i havent edited anything in 4k yet in all my years of editing i have dealt with 1080p or lower, however; from proffesional cameras. Files with high datarates in MXF or AVI format. I started using powerdirector for the past year. I love how user friendly it is, i thought if i got a more powerful system it would take it further than what my other system (core i5 8400) did. Even though this is prosumer software i can get a lot of proffessional work done with it, and people are shocked wheni tell them that i did work in powerdirector.

BY the way i checked out your youtube page. How do you get that magic YUV codec to work? Also how do you convert your videos to that format? Do you think i would get the instantaneous response if i started working with that? I know when i tried prores proxy i got lag.
optodata
[Post New]
Sounds like the high bit rates are probably the issue rather than high pixel sizes. Using shadow files or converting the clips to MagicYUV will make a noticeable difference in PD's editing response, but each requires some processinf time upfront before you can start on the editing.

It might seem counterintuitive to use an intermediate codec like MagicYUV with a much higher bitrate (as much as 1.5Gbps) when I just said that the bitrate on your existing clips may be why PD slows down, but the difference is that MagicYUV clips are not encoded and can be loaded/previewed/skipped/displayed instantly. The main downside is the much larger drive space needed but that probably won't be an issue with your system.

I put together an app back in 2015 with the help of other forum members to make the process of converting clips to MagicYUV as easy as possible, and here's a link to the original OneDrive folder with the installer app I made.

Some things to note: MagicYUV is now at version 2.3 and you'll probably want to get the latest version from here. The Standard version is all you'll need to work with PD.

There are also updates for VirtualDub2 that's needed to convert the clips with the custom project that's included with my app. You can update VDub2 from here.

Run my Magic+PD(x64) installer first to get the basic components on your system, then update the MagicYUV codec and VDub2 before you start converting. Let me know how it goes!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2021 14:58

MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for both attachments. To be honest I don't see anything out of the ordinary - although I realize the lagging seen on this video is less than what you experienced when you first posted.

When i go on nvidia's website and check the driver for my graphics card geforce gtx titan x it says "no drivers found" The studio driver that you are refferring to, is that for another family of cards? And also it it safe for me to install that?
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like the high bit rates are probably the issue rather than high pixel sizes. Using shadow files or converting the clips to MagicYUV will make a noticeable difference in PD's editing response, but each requires some processinf time upfront before you can start on the editing.

It might seem counterintuitive to use an intermediate codec like MagicYUV with a much higher bitrate (as much as 1.5Gbps) when I just said that the bitrate on your existing clips may be why PD slows down, but the difference is that MagicYUV clips are not encoded and can be loaded/previewed/skipped/displayed instantly. The main downside is the much larger drive space needed but that probably won't be an issue with your system.

I put together an app back in 2015 with the help of other forum members to make the process of converting clips to MagicYUV as easy as possible, and here's a link to the original OneDrive folder with the installer app I made.

Some things to note: MagicYUV is now at version 2.3 and you'll probably want to get the latest version from here. The Standard version is all you'll need to work with PD.

There are also updates for VirtualDub2 that's needed to convert the clips with the custom project that's included with my app. You can update VDub2 from here.

Run my Magic+PD(x64) installer first to get the basic components on your system, then update the MagicYUV codec and VDub2 before you start converting. Let me know how it goes!

Also this website is not allowing me to download magic yuv standard version. i click on "i want this" and nothing happens
MagicYUV Lossless Video Codec 2.0 - Standard Edition (gumroad.com)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Out of curiosity, I clicked on that link supplied above by optodata. Click on the Standard $14+ I want this! Button and get the screen where you must enter a number 14 or greater to go to the Pay now screen to proceed further. There are ways around this but I don’t feel that it is right to get it for free.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote When i go on nvidia's website and check the driver for my graphics card geforce gtx titan x it says "no drivers found" The studio driver that you are refferring to, is that for another family of cards? And also it it safe for me to install that?

Sounds like you're having all kinds of different issues. There don't seem to be any Studio Drivers available for the GTX Titan X so you should go with the latest Game Ready driver (471.41)

The older version of MagicYUV is available for free if you don't want to pay anything to try out that workflow
MarkB777 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sounds like you're having all kinds of different issues. There don't seem to be any Studio Drivers available for the GTX Titan X so you should go with the latest Game Ready driver (471.41)

The older version of MagicYUV is available for free if you don't want to pay anything to try out that workflow

olk done. also i just did what the poster above said. I didnt realize i had to enter amount, i never saw a widget like that.